I'M BACK! going with hydro this time!

• Thread starter username09
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
U

username09

ok so i decided to start off a crop again. i'm using 3 bubble buckets and 4 flourescent bulbs. right now the sprouts are about 2" tall. i started them off in some of those little seed starters you get from lowe's/ home depot in the spring. the little discs that you add water to and they absorb and expand. i've got the flo lights about 2-3" above the plants.

at first i had them outside to sprout and get some natural light. 3 out of 4 seeds emerged. i just had them sitting in a pot with another plant and a couple days later i checked to see if the roots had started growing out of the pod yet. one of them did so i put them in some 3" net pots with hydroton.

once i knew the plants were up and going i built 3 bubble buckets using the diy in the diy forum. when they were completed i put the net pots in the tops of the buckets and that's the point i'm at now. at the moment the plants have no roots coming through the net pots. it rained a good bit and i was able to get enough rain water to fill 1 bucket. i've got it up and running and the bottom of the net pot is submerged about 1.5-2" below the water.

the airstone is doing it's thing and going fine on the 1 bucket. the other 2 i havent even added water to yet. i wanted to make sure this first one survived the day. it has and i'm soon going to get some water and start up the other 2 buckets.

so now i'm wondering, should i go ahead and put water in the buckets and start up the air pump or wait another day to see how the first one does? the pump i've got is a wal mart pump for a 30-60 gallon fish tank. will that work out? i've got one for each bucket. so i guess my next question is, what now and where do i go from here?

another concern is lighting. on my first grow i used cfl's that were rated up to 880watts for vegging then used a 400w hps/mh for flowering. i think this time i'm only gonna be able to use cfl's. i won't be using the same cfl's as last time. i need a better setup that doesn't produce as much heat. started looking at the big cfl's at lowe's. i know on the cfl's the package says shit like 25w = 75w. does that actually mean i should rate them at 25w or 75w? i haven't done much research on cfl's. i know they don't yield as much as hps or mh. anyway, help with this situation is greatly appreciated.

U

username09

ok well so far the plants are doing great. 2 better than 1. i decided to add 1/4 strength nutes to the buckets and see what happens. i used less than 1/2 tblspn strength on all buckets. anxious to see what happens. may burn the plants. dunno.

i think i'm gonna try and use the T5 HO lights. i'm alittle worried about heat production and dunno if i'm gonna be able to vent to the attic. i'm gonna stay with the lights i have now and add about 900 watts of cfl's to the equation and use the lightbars for side lighting.

i've got some fixed shelves in the closet i need to take down so i can better organize the grow space. i really need to decide what i'm going to do with the space but, i wanna make sure these bubble buckets work out for me.

Top Bottom