I'm Gonna Buy Or Build Raised Beds For Light Dep Next Year. All Advice Is Welcome And Appreciated

• Thread starter MendoGiantZ
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
NightsWatch

NightsWatch

Now to bring in some road crush for walk ways :)
Here is a thought if its starts to bow on you next season go buy some yellow plastic rope drill holes put a big knot on one end run it to other side and tie it back
Ot you can buy some concrete rod cut them down and hammer them down the sides of boards

MendoGiantZ

MendoGiantZ

Gonna buy concrete stakes like bulldog said and put in 4 on each side.. Gotta figure out what to do for weed cloth and drainage as well.. any ideas??

NightsWatch

NightsWatch

as for weed cloth just go buy landscape fabric,,
And for drainage i would just buy PVC and drill holes on one side or french drain set up build a tailing pond for collection and re use :) go by some pond liner seriously or 2 ponds run it like a septic system one collecting solids an filtering into another pond that returns to your plants vi drip feed pumps or mixed into your mixing res
use the nutrients lost from leaching to re water your plants
In fall re mix the solid sludge into your beds ( possibly get anaylasis on it )
Talk about being eco friendly and saving money that was washed away

Last edited:
smokeedog

smokeedog

Hey mendo. Seamaiden blaze. Been awhile since being on here but good to see same peopke doing there thing.

Like blaze said. If ur using pine ur gonna have to treat it. U might get 3 years out of untreated but i wouldnt think any more than that. and itll be alot easier to clean up or maintain healthy boards.

Lookung for farward to seeing next season mendo. I just moved from tx to the 209 and got a small indoor grow going. trying ti make this my living like yall. Yall got me motivated!! Keep it going.

Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
Sound advice.

I think he used doug fir, which will last slightly longer than pine IME.

Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
Gonna buy concrete stakes like bulldog said and put in 4 on each side.. Gotta figure out what to do for weed cloth and drainage as well.. any ideas??

My idea's would have come before the soil was placed in the beds. Interested on how this will be accomplished now. In my greenhouse, my raised beds just drain right out the bottom. Seems like the drainage from the potted soil, is much faster than the native soil, so most of it just puddles away. (if I apply that much water)

If you get the stakes, you might not need the 3' stakes. I used the 3' stakes on my 2' beds. They could be longer for my situation, but holding up great. When I said that I wasn't sure what height beds you were going with. Sorry about that.

MendoGiantZ

MendoGiantZ

No worries. I'm not even sure what I'm doing most of the time :). 2 foot stakes should be perfect for the one foot tall beds. I'm thinking if I bring in a tiny bobcat and dog French drains next to each bed it should work great

NightsWatch

NightsWatch

Mendo good choice on french drain run full lengths at`1/4 bubble every 5 feet line it or if it digs down to clay you can then fill it with rock you can always get couple totes on ends to collect run off totes in ground you could even throw coal in the totes to purify water :)
Here is some beds i copied and made for a customer this year. have another contract for spring complete back yard reno going to be same concept in beds with wooden sidewalk path ways .
And self watering systems using in ground IBC totes live pond rain water collecting and run off from beds etc
I really want to make it happen. might actually work
Anyways got a customer willing to let me try next spring at there expense :) nice garden and water fall water collecting area for peace of mind

2012 04 28 14 32 42 464
Raised Garden Bed Assembly 5
S601089613393326356 p145 i2 w400 1

Last edited:
NightsWatch

NightsWatch

Come to think about fuck it fill your french drains with charcoal an rock as water moves out it purifies great idea its a win win
shit hope you do not mind some of my crazy ideas i purchased 150 feet by 6 feet wide plastic sheets 12 mill i believe i used that one one side of a house that i needed to make a run off set up avoiding water going to next doors property also couple of stone beds i made
IMG4914
IMG3948
IMG3998
IMG4209
IMG4211

Last edited:
MendoGiantZ

MendoGiantZ

I wish we would have started this project a couple days earlier.. We would have been able to get both gardens totally done.. We did a massive burn pile yesterday and after about 2 hours the fire department decided to stop by :(.. We kinda panicked... We pulled the garden hose to the fire and hid the gas cans we used to get it started... They were kinda bummed it wasn't a house fire.. They didn't care one bit about the garden and since it was all green waste they almost let us keep it burning.. They made some jokes about getting stoned from the fire then left without even a fine or anything.. super cool fire people

dutch69lover

dutch69lover

Ever consider building a SIP (self irrigated planter) or in this case SIB (self irrigated raised bed)

Smokeingdog

Smokeingdog

Wi
Plus, you can hoop house the beds for deps. Not sure of the set up, but worked great in my larger greenhouse. View attachment 645982
Wish to god the UK government would sort our laws out,were well behind the times, if alcohol was illegal today they would never legalised it,
If you was walking down a street an had 10 piss heads on 1 side an 10 pot heads on the other, which side would you pass on an feel the safest.
I SAY NO MORE.

Latest posts

Top Bottom