I'm Interested In Buying A Dog.

• Thread starter juggernaut
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Hrm... I hate when the ears are cropped. For one thing, there's nothing quite as soft as those floppy ears.
Thanks Seamaiden very nice dog. How are they with casts? Our shepherd can't stop chasing them but just to hold them down and lick them. lol Cats hate it.
Mine is cat-protective. She kept my father-in-law's cat alive when a neighbor's cat-killing dog went after her. After meeting a purebred stud male a few years ago out on the trail I find myself even more enamored of them than I was with Hazel. That said, if I had my choice, I'd be going for a Rottie because a Rottie raised my boys and their energy level is MUCH MUCH lower. Our Rottie was perfectly fine with the cats, but, like the Ridgie, is an incredibly intelligent dog that needs regular challenges and challenges YOU regularly. You must never, ever waiver. Ever.

I'm not kidding about the energy level of these dogs, either. It's pretty fucking epic.
australian shepherd? im from australia and never heard of one of those lol

we do have cattle dogs (blue heelers) your going to be hard pressed to find a tougher smarter more energetic loyal dog than a blue heeler. but trust me when i say you really need a large property to keep one. they simply will not be happy in a small backyard, these are dogs bred for running cattle across some of the largest distances and harshest conditions you could ever imagine.
Yes, it's a "breed" out here in the US but I don't think it's officially recognized because there can be such huge variation in their types. Ours was a tricolor (black, white & tan), built and tempered like a border collie, and about 40lbs. But they can be large dogs of over 70lbs, merled red or blue like what we call Queensland heelers. And the dog you describe is what my old farrier used to have, the dog was named Farrier and he was without any doubt in my mind the smartest fucking dog I have EVER KNOWN. He was literally conversational, he knew the difference between the nippers and the pincers and the various files my farrier used. The farrier was also a rodeo guy and his dog could hold and herd cattle (of course!) but also had a role in roping and the like. Just an incredible dog. Far more reasonable and calm dog than the Aussie shepherds and border collies I've had experience with.

AlaskanGrown

AlaskanGrown

Ridgeback for the climate, family protection, they bark only when there is a problem. They are runners and hunters so need space and exercise. A big male can get 125 # plus.

Right now I have a Scottie. He has bitten 3 black bears and tree'd a sow and cub in the yard. All business, no frisbees. Good with the family, doesn't like strangers until he has approved them. Kills small rodents daily. Can be bossy.

half baked

half baked

My ex had a border collie blue merle, that dog was the smartest animal i ever met, not my type of dog, way too hyper, always wanting to work but the stuff it knew, it wasn't about commands, you could just talk to it and it just responded, the best trick was bedtime, turn the telly off then say "right up the apples" he would then walk up halfway stop and look back till you said "and the pears" he wasn't naturally aggressive but he would scare the heck out of most peeps, stood tall for a collie with deep blue eyes, did attack in command too,
I'm a German shepherd fan, I've got two a mum and her son, mums very timid but the son likes to throw his weight around lol, very well trained just dislikes most people, great with other dogs or dog owners tho, in my group it mainly dogs deemed to be of fighting nature, pitbulls and bulldogs staffies, all great dogs just have an awful rep, here's Some out of from my crew

Mum on the right son on the left

My boy with a couple of his bitches

These two are my friends, pitbull x American Bulldogs, about ten month in the pics, they're brothers

Then there is havok, he's a red nose Pitt and is a beast, nearly as big as my GSD

I love dogs as you can probably tell :rolleyes:

Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

i will say best for what your needs are is a pitt....high energy, very loyal to the fam, will do anything to please the owners, will offer a level of protection, prefers hot weather over colder.....but like everyone says, try to adopt one i fyou can, and pitts need a special kind of guidance/training imo, you dont want to have a dog that powerful that is not controllable or properly trained

Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

Pit Bulls banned in my city :(
is it pitt bulls? or any dog resembling a pitt? because i knwo far too many ppl who dont know the difference between a pit and any random mastiff lol...i mean how can they prove that its a pitt? technically they would need a dna test, because there are too many dogs that could look like a pitt, but are not, or have a very small part of thm is pitt, yet they sit them in the same category....very sad, seeing as with my experience its the owners of the small dogs who cause all the problems

ByrneBurnham

ByrneBurnham

Mannnn - reading this thread puts a big smile on my face.

Our spot is a bit off a Country Road (one of the thousands in CO.) and when Deez hears the UPS truck brakes squeal at the property next door which is a ways off - he's alert. Slept in my newborn's nursery for easily 8 months maybe ? We have a Deezy album dedicated to that chump (hahaha).

But -here's the money shot ! ! I met my wife about a year after getting Deez so she's been around him in Utah - Miami - a lazy spot in Florida on the Gulf Coast and she brought up to me that only in Miami does he turn his head to check out the ladys just after passing them (something I do on the sly but never rubbernecking - and if you've been to or haved lived in the M.I.A. - you know what Im saying). So of course she assumes he gets it from me....dog is classic. He also throws c*ck shots to chicks at coffeehouses on the daily...how ? I figured it out....he sits with his outside leg wayyyy out like a kickstand while flashing his junk on the sly. Straight perv...

Oh yeah - he always tries to hump my mother-in-law so much so that I made a stick figure drawing of it...he tried humping once this daughter of my wife's friend and the little girl says "mommy-Diesels making a bridge to me"...where do these kids come up with this stuff ? He's not bad but just seems to get excited for those two in particular. One's like 13 and the other is 68...wth Deez ?

My apologies for digressing....

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Ridgeback for the climate, family protection, they bark only when there is a problem. They are runners and hunters so need space and exercise. A big male can get 125 # plus.

Right now I have a Scottie. He has bitten 3 black bears and tree'd a sow and cub in the yard. All business, no frisbees. Good with the family, doesn't like strangers until he has approved them. Kills small rodents daily. Can be bossy.
Yep, you just described them perfectly. My girl pretty much doesn't bark. Unless there's a catfight, or someone is around. OR if there are raccoons around, she goes out of her way to kill raccoons. She will growl, very quiet, very low. I did have a problem with her in the past of her not letting other dogs near me. One time when she was still pretty young there was a neighborhood Lab that just did not get her point. She finally literally took it by the side of the face and pushed herself into it and forced it to sidestep away from me. That's really my biggest problem with her--she doesn't like other dogs being near me. She's also a *very* dominant dog, so not one thing can be allowed to slip or before you know it, you'll have a dominant aggressive dog on your hands. It's maddening how many people don't hear me when they force me to explain why I'm so strict with my dog. In fact, last dinner party we had left me with two full weeks of asshole dog who felt she could now have her run of the house, didn't have to mind commands or anything. I finally had to 'bite' her and put her down on the ground to make my point.

She's actually tougher in terms of training than the Aussie or the Rottie I had, and I thought the Rottie was the difficult one. But they don't have the energy level dogs like Hazel have, let alone the athleticism.

MrBelvedere

MrBelvedere

Www.petfinder.com you can consider fostering temporarily a dog, or adoption. Sure you'll both be happy :) The mobile site is terrible, use your computer if you can it's way better. You can drill down by purebred/mutt.

Usually every weekend Petco and Petsmart have adoption dogs being fostered by volunteers. Please don't consider a puppy mill dog from a pet store. If you buy a puppy get it from a locally well known breeder who is not running a mill and really knows how to breed dogs for health and personality/doggonality :) Pretty much all puppies will eat everything in your house during their teething stage. :)

Last edited:
MrBelvedere

MrBelvedere

http://www.hua.org/ place is really amazing check it out. Let us know what region you're in, sure we can point to some good places, and there may be some good breeders right here. To me, the ethics of the dog breeder are a million times more important than the ethics of a plant breeder. A city banning of pitbulls- that that's a wrong law that needs to be broken in my book.

Last edited:
dumpstergrower

dumpstergrower

My favorite breed highly protective of the one who live in the home
Easily trained attack dogs with high energy not the sloppy overweight,
Correct conformation,eyes,hips. Written guarantee warranty.@juggernaut

S

sgbfcoop

Visit your local animal shelters. There are ALWAYS dozens of beautiful and loving animals looking for a home that will happily protect life and property for you. Just a little bias from me. I spent a lot of time volunteering in them and i know puppies need homes.

Mr_GreenGenes

Mr_GreenGenes

Don't buy a dog. Adopt one. There are too many homeless anymals out there which when adopted are thankful for the rest of their too short lives. If you're looking for high energy level breed go for a sighthound. There are plenty of greyhounds 1-2 years old ready for adoption. There large but real sweethearts. Can be well trained and are really thankful once adapted to their new homes and also very well protective. You coulg also go for a saluki or saluki cross. The one in my avatar is a saluki cross just 10 months old and weighs 50lbs. I'm guessing there is a white lab in this cross. Easy to train and a real family dog. He was adopted at 6 months age. House trained in 3 days.

There are more than enough kennels and shelters to pick one from there, you just need to look for.

Buy!?
When the humane society has wonderful dogs whose lives you could save?

It's a 10 - 15 year commitment.
Please, do yourself a favor.
Drop on by and see if the perfect dog for you is on death row first.
You don't have to adopt, but when you find love there it'll last the life of the dog.

I speak from experience.
picture.php

Aloha,
Weeze

Amen! MGG

str8smokn

str8smokn

Hey @lollipopman is he related to the HULK... From DDK9... Big ass dog at 1.5 years of age..

Top Bottom