im out of ideas... help would be appreciated

• Thread starter thehighguy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
thehighguy

thehighguy

over the last week my vegging plants have slowly developed twisted leaves. since the onset of the symptom iv been treating the plant occasionally with a pesticide derived from roses. iv noticed little to no difference in the rate of symptom development. its now starting to spread to my other plants. my next move will be to apply a white oil, but at this point im not even 100% sure that pests are the cause. here is a little background on the growing method: promix is the substrate, they get watered once a day, or sometimes every second day, just enough to keep the peat moss from drying out and causing salts to build up. iv been feeding with PGP veg (pH: 5.5-6.0) just to try and finish off the last of the nutrient, but im sure feeding is not part of the problem, although overwatering might be. the grow itself is in a insulated shed, 21-25 degrees Celsius is what I have my temp controller set to (the sensor is near the roof, so at the plants its probably 19-23). I should also mention the plant which has been sick for the longest period of time is developing yellow tips, and the plants are not raised off the floor of the shed, which is the only surface thats not insulated. sorry this was so winded im just running out of ideas so I thought I should be comprehensive... im close to moving some of my plants to the flowering room but I cant until this is dealt with.

Im out of ideas help would be appreciated
Im out of ideas help would be appreciated 2
Im out of ideas help would be appreciated 3
Im out of ideas help would be appreciated 4
Im out of ideas help would be appreciated 5
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Why are you spraying all that stuff on them, that's not caused by bugs, that some kind of a pH issue &/or lock out
Screenshot 20201010 110749 Chrome

Recommend you stop spraying things on your plant. unfortunately I don't have time right now but I'll come back, but I'm sure somebody else will notice the same thing;

Edit: your pH is way too low, that's most likely causing your issue. use 6.2 - 6.4 for your particular medium, also you don't mention flushing out the salts out of the bottom aka runoff ??

Last edited:
thehighguy

thehighguy

Why are you spraying all that stuff on them, that's not caused by bugs, that some kind of a pH issue &/or lock out
View attachment 1041915

Recommend you stop spraying things on your plant. unfortunately I don't have time right now but I'll come back, but I'm sure somebody else will notice the same thing;

Edit: your pH is way too low, that's most likely causing your issue. use 6.2 - 6.4 for your particular medium, also you don't mention flushing out the salts out of the bottom aka runoff ??
Once a week they get just pHed water, until it runs off (about 10-20%). The other 6 days it doesn't get run off. I was under the impression this medium was soilless, like coco, as a result of the large portion of perlite present. Or at least that's what I was lead to believe when I made the decision to switch to promix.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Once a week they get just pHed water, until it runs off (about 10-20%). The other 6 days it doesn't get run off. I was under the impression this medium was soilless, like coco, as a result of the large portion of perlite present. Or at least that's what I was lead to believe when I made the decision to switch to promix.
Read this for starters and if you have any questions feel free to ask, I DJ a music show on Saturdays but I'll be around later

Edit: once a week is fine for run off, just make sure you get enough run through, recommend checking pH & PPM of runoff and logging it to note changes to know how to make adjustments going forward

Last edited:
thehighguy

thehighguy

Read this for starters and if you have any questions feel free to ask, I don't have time right now, I DJ a music show on Saturdays but I'll be around later

Edit: once a week is fine for run off, just make sure you get enough run through, recommend checking pH PPM of runoff and logging it to note changes to know how to make adjustments going forward

thanks beach walker, this is my first grow in promix so its basically been one big shot in the dark... not to mention information is scarce. im running HP not BX if that makes any difference in how you treat the plant. do you think im overwatering as well? last thing I want is to create another issue.

Last edited:
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

thanks beach walker, this is my first grow in promix so its basically been one big shot in the dark... not to mention information is scarce. im runnning HP not BX if that makes any difference in how you treat the plant.
All the information you need about promix is at those two links; I'll be around later this afternoon with some specific recommendations for you

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I've used Promix forever but the only time I saw issues like that was when I had too much P or K... I never figured out which. A Ph of 5 is too acidic, in my opinion. I try to keep mine around 6.5 if possible. What I have finally learned about P and K is that they tend to accumulate in the soil/medium much more than Nitrogen. After a whie the levels become too high and the plant starts to suffer the effects of too much fertilizer. This happens slowly because the accumulation is gradual. I think your watering schedule and method is fine and is similar to what I use. FWIW, I have found that some strains have trouble with excess P or K much better than other strains. Grandaddy Purple was pretty sensitive for me, but other strains were fine with it.
Flushing doesn't work too well with P or K toxicity, so you might have t flush it ut a few times and supplement with some Nitrogen, since that is the first nutrient to be flushed out. Try not to mess with the Ph too much as it can quickly and easily go south on you... Promix is buffered and tends to keep the Ph around 6-7 on it's own.

dred

dred

I just switched to pro mix hp for indoor grows and so far been great
Personally I would get fabric pots or air pots never had good luck in plastic

I only water when the peat looks dry on top like they recommend
for me that’s every 2nd or 3rd day in veg and everyday now in flower
using 7 gal fab pots
i feed 2litres at a time per plant
I never water to runoff and only use 1/4 to 1/2 strength nutes
i feed 5 days then on weekend I feed ph cal mag water.
I ph To 6ish using drops

they seem happy

6E24A84B 852F 4C85 8BB7 DF2A305B5276
thehighguy

thehighguy

I just switched to pro mix hp for indoor grows and so far been great
Personally I would get fabric pots or air pots never had good luck in plastic

I only water when the peat looks dry on top like they recommend
for me that’s every 2nd or 3rd day in veg and everyday now in flower
using 7 gal fab pots
i feed 2litres at a time per plant
I never water to runoff and only use 1/4 to 1/2 strength nutes
i feed 5 days then on weekend I feed ph cal mag water.
I ph To 6ish using drops

they seem happy
thanks for your input! I will start watering less frequently, I need to get it though my head that promix hp isn't coco. I will make my new ph target 5.8-6.2, i feed based on leaf color but I usually end up giving the plant 1/2 strength nut levels, any more and the leaves get to dark. your plants look great man, the buds on the left are fattening up really nicely.

thehighguy

thehighguy

I've used Promix forever but the only time I saw issues like that was when I had too much P or K... I never figured out which. A Ph of 5 is too acidic, in my opinion. I try to keep mine around 6.5 if possible. What I have finally learned about P and K is that they tend to accumulate in the soil/medium much more than Nitrogen. After a whie the levels become too high and the plant starts to suffer the effects of too much fertilizer. This happens slowly because the accumulation is gradual. I think your watering schedule and method is fine and is similar to what I use. FWIW, I have found that some strains have trouble with excess P or K much better than other strains. Grandaddy Purple was pretty sensitive for me, but other strains were fine with it.
Flushing doesn't work too well with P or K toxicity, so you might have t flush it ut a few times and supplement with some Nitrogen, since that is the first nutrient to be flushed out. Try not to mess with the Ph too much as it can quickly and easily go south on you... Promix is buffered and tends to keep the Ph around 6-7 on it's own.
this might have been the response i needed... on top of my base I occasionally add sweet candy to my mix. its a powdered product, which has 0-17-28. I add it well below 50% the recommended dose, I mainly add it for the acids and micro nutrients it contains. its actually a bloom booster made by green leaf that they recommend feeding right from week one. Iv been using it because I couldn't find a micro nutrients product that could compare for the price... this stuff is basically superthrive on steroids'

121144314 353563592509530 8426842160260622215 n 1
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

So what I see is your plants are overfed and you also have a potassium deficiency most likely caused by a lockout probably from the low PH, use 6.2-6.4 for best results

Screenshot 20201010 110749 Chrome
Screenshot 20201010 181106 Google
Screenshot 20201010 181117 Google

Also you're not talkin about what you're feeding and or PPM, so I'm guessing you're not monitoring it; a ppm meter is about 10 bucks and you'll use it 10 to 1 over your pH meter, recommend you get it

I noticed you were going to start feeding less and that's good you have to treat this like soil not cocoa and I saw you said that above too

basically I think those are your problems if you have anymore questions tag me in, good luck!

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

So what I see is your plants are overfed and you also have a potassium deficiency most likely caused by a lockout probably from the low PH, use 6.2-6.4 for best results

View attachment 1042105View attachment 1042103View attachment 1042104

Also you're not talkin about what you're feeding and or PPM, so I'm guessing you're not monitoring it; a ppm meter is about 10 bucks and you'll use it 10 to 1 over your pH meter, recommend you get it

I noticed you were going to start feeding less and that's good you have to treat this like soil not cocoa and I saw you said that above too

basically I think those are your problems if you have anymore questions tag me in, good luck!
OP I went back and looked after Kaka said bugs and that could very well be something like russet mites you got going on, they could cause all those problems and more. They're really hard to see you have to check with strong magnification

thehighguy

thehighguy

OP I went back and looked after Kaka said bugs and that could very well be something like russet mites you got going on, they could cause all those problems and more. They're really hard to see you have to check with strong magnification
Dam it this was my biggest fear right from the start, anyone have any experience using white oils? Basically Castile soap oil and water. I will also adjust ph I'm sure this is part of the problem as well. Thanks for all the help

thehighguy

thehighguy

View attachment 1042105View attachment 1042103View attachment 1042104

Thanks for your help... I ussually use a EC meter, water sits around 150 ppm by itself and I will bring that up to around 350-500ppm with my base. I basically use the ppm meter as a method of double checking nutrient levels, I don't use it as my baseline. 3-2-4 Bonticare pure grow pro, at about half strength. I don't have any system in place for run off collection, that was my next project. The nature of my potting containers makes it impossible at the moment.

Latest posts

Top Bottom