im planning my first grow

• Thread starter lvstealth
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
im getting 2 kinds of seeds from one place and 2 from a different place, so 4 different types.

all auto flowering and feminized

gorilla glue
magnum
bruce banner
gelato

i also got some free, but only one of those is auto

caramelicious

so there are 5 autos. i have a 2x4 (more or less) space with a viparspectra xs2000. should i start with 1? more? 1 of each, so 5? there are 5 of each, maybe all one kind? is 5 too much for a first timer? or for the area? they seem to, or at least say they will, all be about the same height. magnum and caramelicious are said to be <8, for a first grow that might be good (or not) but im not sure how to think about it... well except for thinking WEEEEEEEEE!

i just got a tracking update! the seeds are only a post office away! so maybe tomorrow! i just cant wait!!!!!! the light arrives thursday. i have not got the panda paper up yet, but i will today. i have soil (purple cow indicanja, and bushmaster cocoloco, the plan is to put 1/3 of purple cow and the rest the coco loco) i have enough for 5 - 5gal cloth bags.

im close! maybe

edit: i have a small cheap walmart humidifier i used by the bed a while back, should i get a new one, or just use that? if a better one, which less expensive one is good?

Last edited:
422src

422src

im getting 2 kinds of seeds from one place and 2 from a different place, so 4 different types.

gorilla glue
magnum
bruce banner
gelato

caramelicious

so there are 5 autos. i have a 2x4 (more or less) space with a viparspectra xs2000. should i start with 1? more? 1 of each, so 5? there are 5 of each, maybe all one kind? is 5 too much for a first timer? or for the area? they seem to, or at least say they will, all be about the same height. magnum and caramelicious are said to be <8, for a first grow that might be good (or not) but im not sure how to think about it... well except for thinking WEEEEEEEEE!

i just got a tracking update! the seeds are only a post office away! so maybe tomorrow! i just cant wait!!!!!! the light arrives thursday. i have not got the panda paper up yet, but i will today. i have soil (purple cow indicanja, and bushmaster cocoloco, the plan is to put 1/3 of purple cow and the rest the coco loco) i have enough for 5 - 5gal cloth bags.

im close! maybe

edit: i have a small cheap walmart humidifier i used by the bed a while back, should i get a new one, or just use that? if a better one, which less expensive one is good?
I would think it better to start with one type first. Different strains, different heights and requirements. Also if you're not an experienced grower, mistakes are made. Better to kill a few than all. Main mistake is over watering. Personally I find in safe to germinate strait into Fox Farm - Happy Frog soil. Done it many times with great results.

422src

422src

gorilla glue
magnum
bruce banner
gelato

caramelicious

im close! maybe

also 5 gallon is big. If you have 3 gallon it's preferable

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
ok, that makes sense. so im thinking 2 seeds and both one kind, any advice on which are easy and or fast?
the 3 gal bags will be here tomorrow, so i will go with that. if i go with 3 gal should i do more than 2?

a new question, i ordered panda paper, how do i put it up? i have some duct tape and i have some aluminium tape, or i have some spray glue. is there a nifty way to do this by myself? i hesitate to let anyone at all know about it. any tricks or advice would be great!

Billymgb

Billymgb

Be creative when putting up the paper alone. I do a lot by myself so I know what you mean. Mabey staple it to start then foil tape ? anyways remember easy does it when watering to feeding, Good luck

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
im wondering if i could use my aquarium water on my plants? that is, when i get that far, and they actually grow. i use it on other house plants.

422src

422src

ok, that makes sense. so im thinking 2 seeds and both one kind, any advice on which are easy and or fast?
the 3 gal bags will be here tomorrow, so i will go with that. if i go with 3 gal should i do more than 2?

a new question, i ordered panda paper, how do i put it up? i have some duct tape and i have some aluminium tape, or i have some spray glue. is there a nifty way to do this by myself? i hesitate to let anyone at all know about it. any tricks or advice would be great!
I’ve never used panda paper but a good option if you don’t have a grow tent. With the 3 gal bags I would suggest 3 plants or more if you’re area is 2 x 4 and the plant finish short. Check the max height for the strain. If its going to be a 5 ft plant then 2 5 gal pots would be better. So many verifiable.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
it says they are 60-100cm, so not 5 ft, only 4 ft. so the 3 gal for that?

i have a 4 ft dia tub i dont use, so i am putting the panda paper all around the enclosure (it has mirrors now, and someone said i should use this because the mirrors might cause hot spots... if i understood). the ceiling is pretty high, maybe 9 ft or so. i have a hook hung for the light, and little places for fans and such. the light will cover completely side to side, but only 2 ft front to back. but i can grow my kitchen herbs there, or just be able to get around them. i might be overthinking this, but im having fun, reading lots and very excited! the usps tracking said it (the seeds) left the last city before here, so i have hopes they will arrive tomorrow! i tentatively have it narrowed down to the fastest, which are the auto caramelicious and the auto magnum. so many decisions... what would you do?

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
water... i have well water. i use a zero water or brita for water for my coffee, would that help with these plants? the soil is a water only, it says. and my water ph is okish, 6.8, i dont know the ppm stuff, but i will get a meter at some point in the next day or so. the zero water says it takes out stuff, and it makes the coffee taste better. i like my water it tastes good... but im pretty sure the fact that i taste my water is not so good... its a deep well, so that is good, and it is said to be wonderful water... but that is said by the people selling me the land! no added chems though!

i can buy water, use the filter things i have, or just use the tap water. any suggestions?

edit: or i can use aquarium water

Last edited:
Wh1teScorp1on

Wh1teScorp1on

Well water is fine but get it tested. For you and your plants. I’m sure there’s a water testing place where you live

Wh1teScorp1on

Wh1teScorp1on

Some people say RO systems. Personally I have a Kangen. Well water will work but you have to make sure it’s not sulferated

JSH1973

JSH1973

Supporter
I would stick with 4 plants in 2 gallon pots for a 2x4 tent (I did 6 myself the first time in same size tent and it explodes, so stick with 4)
If you know you are going to be at home every day to look after your plants, then I suggest starting in Coco/Perlite instead of soil, my impression is that it is a lot more forgiving than soil if you make mistakes, caveat being that you need to be home to water every day.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
oh good idea! i know i can get it tested at the farm center! ill do that.

no, no sulphur that i know of.

hmmm... 2 gal? that is the one i didnt get! i have 1 gal, 3 gal and 5 gal. i am home all day so that is good. but i went with the water only soil, already bought! it said to put 1/3 of the water only stuff (purple cow indicanja) and 2/3 bushdoctor coco loco, so i bought that too.

i got the text notification that the seeds are coming today! i was so excited when i got the text, i got out of bed (1am) excited, and i cant sleep now!

someone suggested i plant directly in the pot, not the solo cup method, so i am going to put the soil in the bag pots as soon as it gets light outside... i just have to decide which pots and how many. i read all the stuff and there are just so many variables. the person who suggested the seeds go right in the pot didnt specifically say to put them in a cup of water, but im thinking ill do that.

so my list today is to hang the panda paper, decide how many and what size pots, fill them, set up fan and go by the farm place and see what i need in order to test the water. i love that i am getting busier, it is getting so close now! the light arrives on Thursday, but that shouldnt hold anything up, the seeds wont need it, they will be in a glass of water!

hmmm... just looking at the seed in water thing, some say leave it soaking 2 days??? some say 18 hours (very specifically as though that is a magic time i should be aware of) and some say till they sink, others say touch them and they sink... is it really this technical? or can i just drop them in water when i get them and plant them when the light arrives and gets hung?

crossfader

crossfader

Good luck on the upcoming grow. I planted my seeds directly into 2 gallon pots (they're autos) without pre soaking and they sprouted 3 days later. I was going to pre soak but opted to go right into soil. Might try soaking next grow just to see if there's a difference/benefit. ✌

SSgrower

SSgrower

I soaked my seeds in a cup of water 24 hrs. w/capful of 2% hydrogen peroxide. Then to moist paper towel 3-4 days into 3" jiffy pots. Everyone does this germination differently.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
so both soak and paper towel? and why peroxide? i have some in the medicine cabinet, so i can do that, just curious why?

my seed status just officially changed to:

Untitled

yes, i am jumping up and down with glee!

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

I have been running autos 10 years june, do not transplant it shocks them, put the bean in the pot u intend to do ur whole grow in, they luv ffof, only run 1 strain at a time bc the tallest strain will force u to keep raiseing your light and smaller plants will suffer, yea you can put stuff under the pots to raise them but a pain in the ass, run your cycle 18 on 6 off, i use botanacare pro grow 1 and a halfml per US gal but dont feed till there big e8to take it or at 3 weeks witchever comes first and then very lightly, i use Atami Bloombastic in flower same dose put a small!!!!! Splash from the jug in a 16oz cup of water stir and feed, if you give to much you will fry them, bend ur seedling back and forth a few times a day this will make your mainstem harden faster, make shure you have good drainage, autos are not photos and are not run the same the most common mistake is overfeeding, you want your seedlings reaching for the ligh not shying away from it, if you need help ask! These are my last grows, Skywalker 1& 2 3 bears 3&4, ghost haze 5 and a plant in a solo cup 6.

20201125 170745
20201126 081247
20210214 144613
20210217 144031
20210217 194127
20210223 121708
lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
how old are these plants? they are very pretty! im guessing the solo cup is for the cup challenge? ill keep my eye out for your entry!

i live way out in the country, we have a communal compost pile, i am thinking (not now, but for future) i will grab some of that and doctor it up when i learn what it needs, but the guy has it because he grows night crawlers and reds. he says i can have some starter worms and he will help me make a bed... but that is all way out in the future, i am just DYING to get it going. mom wanted to name me Patience - good thing she came to her senses or id be a walking oxymoron!

SSgrower

SSgrower

so both soak and paper towel? and why peroxide? i have some in the medicine cabinet, so i can do that, just curious why?

my seed status just officially changed to:

View attachment 1095511

yes, i am jumping up and down with glee!
You follow Edinburgs advise, he knows what he is doing more so than I especially w/Coco & nutes, just several ways to "Pop" seeds.

Top Bottom