Im so fucked/stem snap, any suggestions

• Thread starter clembomber
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

clembomber

my plant recently developed a crease right under the 2nd node, i left it for a couple day on a support and when i though it was ready to stand on its own the bent part(now all broen and brittle) snapped and the top is hanging to the side sick and im really worried =(. at this point i have the plant leaning on a stick, WHAT DO I DO?!

thanks in advance for the advice and time is of the essence!

NwolkZark

NwolkZark

Really depends how bad the snap is. If its just crushed and bent then its no more then a super cropping and it will be fine with time. If its broke in half to bad then you either try to make a "splint" for it with a stick and some string or whatever you can rig up to keep the pieces together, or just wait and see if the top dies or survives. If its looking all limp already there might be nothing you can do but try to make it clone.

C

clembomber

thanks iim going to try the splint method and also take some clones at the same time, thanks for the info

NwolkZark

NwolkZark

Pics speak pretty loud in situations like this, if you can get some good macros of the broken area somebody might give a better diagnosis. I'm about to pass out but atleast you have a direction for the night. Its crazy what you can do to these things and they still recover from it, but theres always that point where its just too damn broke tho, heh. Hopefully she can recover.

T

they call me j

this is simple. if its only hangin by a thread or so take it off. if its not dying off and still connected by a good bit just splint or support and leave it.

i had a main cola on my pineapple bend right over 90 degrees and broke...it was still connected good so i just left it to hang and it turned really nice actually.

i say as long as its still growin...let it. if it turnin brown, cut her down

P

pistilwhipped

All great points above. I personally usually just let the plant figure it out. I grow a fair number of plants in a 12 x 12 room and I veg them into near trees, so almost every time I walk into the grow room I crimp a branch or two when the plants are big. The more sativa dominant plants tend to actually snap for me, maybe it's the thinner stems. The indie doms usually fold and hang...this eventually turns into a hard knot that is stronger than the rest of the stem. Bud production on the affected branch may suffer a small loss of yeild (or not). But they are surprisingly hardy plants and can take a lot of abuse as mentioned above.

G

guerilla family

duct tape works wonders!

Thats exactly what I used on one of my larger AK plants just weeks ago.. I was moving her into a swampy area, her finishing spot.. This girl is absolutely top heavy. She's been growing since early march, and i have been taking cuts from here since Mid April.. All of the bottom branches have been removed so she is like a shrub on top of a two foot trunk! She snapped nearly off about 12" up the trunk. IF she would have broken any more, the entire plant would have been trash. I made a splint with a stick, and taped it at the point of the break. I wrapped the hell outta her with duct tape, and she seems to be doing find a couple weeks later. She's leanin a bit now, but I think its too early to remove the splint and tape. My luck I will end up doing more damage to her removing her bandage..

Good Luck Clem BOmber.

GFam

M

MadSeason

Hey bro. I copy and pasted this from another thread where I wrote on the same subject. Just so you or anyone else with this problem know its not all doom and gloom. The cannabis plant is very resilient. Hopefully yours recovers fine. Here you go.

Hey guys. I just wanted to share some of my experience with broken stems. I do a lot of LST work, and have broke my fair share of main stems. I had this one that broke almost completely. I mean, I'm serious, there was like a thread of fiber holding this stem together. Guess what I did to fix it. Nothing. I actually assumed it was done and just left it there as is. I wasn't even sure if it was female at this point. You know what happened, it completely healed itself. It regrew a new stem from the thread that was left! It became a thick little knuckle looking knot kind of thing, and none of the plant died or suffered. It blew me away.

Because of that, I did this same thing on purpose to a sativa that was stretching too much. It was on the edge of the garden so I decided to experiment with it. I did the same thing, basically broke the stems so they were barely hanging on, and it did the same thing, just repaired itself. The stem will be bent permanently, but since I was laying branches down for my LST work it worked out perfect.

Definitely interesting.

C

clembomber

WOW thanks for all the input, very enlightening and even surprising, especially the one about just leaving it, though i want to be on the safe side and i have recently wrapped the plant with a loose fit leaf curl and have set it kinda straight.

i actually heard of a method of keeping your plants low by literally pinching the stem allowing the top to slant down from some other people i have talked with. again thanks for the advice and.........................................................

BTC

T

Trillion

IS there no differance between this happening in flower or veg, i ask because i have been successful with repairing broken stems in veg, but when my friend snapped the stem of his NYCD that was week 3 flower the leaves fell off and the bud shriveled and died after a few days, we even tied the branch up

true grit

true grit

Check out the thread on supercropping- evidentally you should be good for the first 2 weeks or so of flower to control stretch, after that there is probably too much bud/energy/nutrients needed to repair branch and support flower.

C

clembomber

thanks for the advice but it was futile

oh god, im at loss for words. i am in mourning.

Snapshot 20090628
NwolkZark

NwolkZark

Snap it clean off? Yeh not much to do from there unless you want to make a fresh 45degree cut and stick it in some water, or a bubble cloner or whatever to see if it'll root.

DJXXPLATINUM

DJXXPLATINUM

i have used a piece of aluminum foil..i wrapped and squeezed it and it made a big knot also!!! but i have never tried it when it was only hangin on by a thread!!!! jus my 2 cents!!!peace djxx

M

mysophilia

Make a splint and use duck tape to secure it on both ends of the splint.. That will allow it to grow back and still support itself..

J

Jalisco Kid

Waterproof electrical tape,wire ties,and stakes(I use 1/4" drip stakes) should always be in your first aid kit. I have repaired branches just held together by a strip of skin. Suerte JK

bigherb

bigherb

Farmer
pleez give som suggstions

i got a clone that broke at the bottom main stem its little like 5 inch

seem like the leaves r dyin but not dry yet the roots r very healthy

i was pissed n nervous n just planted the broken stem down compact in the soil
will this moist soil cause mold or infection

im afraid if i try to move soil now that ill hav a prob n shell just fall over n die

i was thinkin too wait till the soil dries a day or too the splint her or should i doo it rite now

pleez som suggestions

1luvbigherb

Top Bottom