Im thinking about trying dwc

• Thread starter biggerbud420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
biggerbud420

biggerbud420

Would this kit have everything i need to start ? I can get this qt home depot for a 100 i know i wpuld have to get some rockwool and some hydro nutes
Im thinking about trying dwc

chemistry

chemistry

Those four buckets are bang on for DWC, I've grown in buckets that size. Only downside is the weight when it comes to changing your nuits. One two inch airstone per bucket is what I used. 👍

HippiHemuli

HippiHemuli

Hydro pebbles, rockwool, hydro nutes, PPM and PH meter that should be all then. 🙂

biggerbud420

biggerbud420

Those four buckets are bang on for DWC, I've grown in buckets that size. Only downside is the weight when it comes to changing your nuits. One two inch airstone per bucket is what I used. 👍
Would this kit have everything i need to start ? I can get this qt home depot for a 100 i know i wpuld have to get some rockwool and some hydro nutes View attachment 1218727

biggerbud420

biggerbud420

would it be noisy ? could the setup be put in my bedroom

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Don't do multiple Dwc buckets. Late flower it's hard to get the lid off twice a day on one, let alone 4. Plus you cannot scrog on dwc which sucks.

Do one photo in a Dwc bucket. Once you start growing instantly start building A RDWC system. I built and installed my RDWC around my growing Dwc. Dwc is for learning how to hydro imo... It's not meant to actually be used on a large scale.

U need a separate res. Go for 10 gallon per plant if you want more hands off and more stability. You want a water pump and large res... Or you will hate hydro. Had I done what your about to do id have to suicide. Way to much work..

biggerbud420

biggerbud420

Don't do multiple Dwc buckets. Late flower it's hard to get the lid off twice a day on one, let alone 4. Plus you cannot scrog on dwc which sucks.

Do one photo in a Dwc bucket. Once you start growing instantly start building A RDWC system. I built and installed my RDWC around my growing Dwc. Dwc is for learning how to hydro imo... It's not meant to actually be used on a large scale.

U need a separate res. Go for 10 gallon per plant if you want more hands off and more stability. You want a water pump and large res... Or you will hate hydro. Had I done what your about to do id have to suicide. Way to much work..
why would i have to take the lid off 2 times a day in flower ?

chemistry

chemistry

Would this kit have everything i need to start ? I can get this qt home depot for a 100 i know i wpuld have to get some rockwool and some hydro nutes View attachment 1218727

Yes, all you need is a good light and balanced nuits. If you can sleep with a fish tank, then you can sleep with a four bucket DWC set up next to your bed. 😁

growsince79

growsince79

I never did dwc. Sounds great until the power goes out. I used to do ebb n flow; you can hand water if needed. Works great with a scrog. I quit because changing the reservoir and cleaning rocks sucks. I'd rather use new mix every time.

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

why would i have to take the lid off 2 times a day in flower ?
When you have a 3 to 4 gallon capacity for each plant the ph swings and ppms swings become too large. Your ph will start raising in late flower faster than usual due to root mass. My plants can drink almost two gallons a day in late flower.

So you will add nutrients or ph up or down. Or fight root rot since it's first grow.. Just sucks all around when you have small holding capacity.

I have 75 gallons of water in my system for 6 plants. Rdwc

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

Drill operated pump. Bag the airstones because they clog up. RDWC is really the best way.

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

In that thread I did what I'm going to reccomened you do. Build ur system around one Dwc bucket. Just dont use autos lol. The Dwc will grow first and you can focus on training it.. And the usual issues while u build ur system around it. They are cheap to build.

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

A pump is key for nutrient circulation. Also go simple on your nutrient line up. Use what most people use. Calmag and flora trio and ro water. No reason to have issues when they are not needed.

PK1

PK1

Supporter
waste of money, read this

G

geemonty

I started with a 5gal bucket and yeah I can confirm that its a bitch during flower to take the lid off. I have to raise light I move my plant to another 5gal bucket with the new nuts and position back into position and lower the light back down. Doing that once a week is a pain.

I am actually now considering a rdwc at the moment. I was considering 2x 27gal totes as I already have several sitting around the house. One tote with 2 plants and the other for a res. Think this would work or should I go with 2x 5gal buckets with a 27gal res?

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

I started with a 5gal bucket and yeah I can confirm that its a bitch during flower to take the lid off. I have to raise light I move my plant to another 5gal bucket with the new nuts and position back into position and lower the light back down. Doing that once a week is a pain.

I am actually now considering a rdwc at the moment. I was considering 2x 27gal totes as I already have several sitting around the house. One tote with 2 plants and the other for a res. Think this would work or should I go with 2x 5gal buckets with a 27gal res?
I would just use one tote for two plants, put the pump down in it with a mesh filter to recirculate and lay a few airstones down. Its how I veg. Im actually going to build a 1 plant system for a 4x4 and wont be using an external res. The larger the water capacity the more stability you will have also. I would just cut two holes and not worry about plumbing and leaks and drilling holes in the sidewalls.
Downfalls are not being able to access during lights out. I never open the tent. . i dont even risk reveg anymore. But as long as you have high volume, like 10-15 gallons per plant. . your fine. If you must do the external res, use the 5 gallon square buckets inside, and buy two current culture bulkheads, 3 inch, so the lines dont plug. Pretty simple.
I also run my lights on at night and lights off during the day. It prevents the res from dropping in temp as it cools at night, mines on a not so well insulated floor apparently. And yea during the day when its hott, lights are off so its not too hott. Its more less for water temp stability. Less heaters/chillers you will need. I run a heater in my single veg tote, 100w. Temps set to 72f, Flora trio, calmag hydroguard. . boom bang done

Top Bottom