Impaled On The Horns Of A Dilemma. Or She's Got To Go.

• Thread starter Planter01
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Planter01

Planter01

Impaled on the horns of a dilemma or shes got to go
Impaled on the horns of a dilemma or shes got to go 2
Impaled on the horns of a dilemma or shes got to go 3

I'll lay my head down tonight with a heavy heart. As I was putting the girls to bed I noticed one of my two Bubbledawg AKA: Chicle was exhibiting a few overly swollen calyx. Looking more closely I saw the cause of my ainxst. Yes.... She had dangling little packets of pollen. It was then the lights clicked off for the night. I know what I have to do and in the AM I will. She/He will be walked outside and will be kicked to to subfreezing curb. It's going to feel like I've been punched in the stomach but what choice do I have? There are 11 other plants in the room so I have to be strong. I'm hoping that overnight I get some feedback that will change the outcome but I'm doubtful. If anyone has any pearls of wisdom I'd love to hear them. I should have done something different. I feel so dirty. Goodnight and God speed.

Ignignokt

Ignignokt

Whoa. Sorry dude. Only this one and the rest are not confused?
Water spray (as recommended) and plastic bag if moving it will wiggle vital parts, and set it away. Good eyes, you caught it.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Agree with @Leew421

Pick those male flowers off asap and mist with water to disable pollen.

Unless they grow back and open you have no problem.

If the stress that caused them is gone. They may not herm again.

Planter01

Planter01

I knew there would be no consensus. The male flowers have dropped some Polen because if i look there are fertilized female flowers that have set seed. I've also been shuffling the plants under the lights like a deck of cards putting them in place sequentially based on height. I don't think there was one particular stressor that would have made this one herm on me. Talk about being on the fence. I know I should just pull the offending plant and focus on her 11 sisters. I wouldn't even mind it if I found some viable seed after harvest on all of them but hermie seed is not what I need. Any guess which route I'll take. Will I banish her or watch for and pluck some nuts. What are the PROS and what are the CONS??. Sometimes I get so confused.

ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
I've enacted a zero tolerance policy for unstable plants, even if it was my fault. Chop chop..

But..Plants don't like to be jostled around once in flower, leave them each in their own space, will help when running new seeds.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I knew there would be no consensus. The male flowers have dropped some Polen because if i look there are fertilized female flowers that have set seed. I've also been shuffling the plants under the lights like a deck of cards putting them in place sequentially based on height. I don't think there was one particular stressor that would have made this one herm on me. Talk about being on the fence. I know I should just pull the offending plant and focus on her 11 sisters. I wouldn't even mind it if I found some viable seed after harvest on all of them but hermie seed is not what I need. Any guess which route I'll take. Will I banish her or watch for and pluck some nuts. What are the PROS and what are the CONS??. Sometimes I get so confused.

Stress seeds are good female seeds. They don't automatically do it again.

Most are caused by heat or nutrient stress.

Planter01

Planter01

Is that a fact MlMed. I just don't trust the genetic soundness of stress related seeds and I guess for me it's not worth the risk of growing plants that have a failure to thrive issue.
Oh great Shroomking I've never heard that plants don't like to be jostled? I'm running a dozen different varieties so I'm shuffling them around to take best advantage of the light. I think if I was running a single variety I wouldn't have such a disparity in heights.
I knew what I had to do it just took me 24 hours to do it. I've given the rest of the girls a thorough check-up but found no evidence of additional hermaphrodites. No worries.. I'll dry the hard immature buds and gift them to a 74 YO bone head pal O mine whose on SSI and doesn't have much moolah to throw at weed. He will enjoy it and there have been many times in the past 40 plus years that I would have been overjoyed to have it.
20170310 220225

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Hey @Planter01 i have an s-1 growing right now from a bag seed of my BLT 3 plant. Yes it throws a nanner or two at the end so I assume hidden ones by week 5 are the cause of the 1 seed I found.

And I have never had cross pollination.

Diesel (chemdog) and Thai plants tend to do this on the original and crosses. Don't forget all of the best plants have pretty much been from bag seed.

Gorilla glue 4 I think too.

I plant the stress seeds from my first year growing when I nutrient stressed plants more. None of them but the BLT3 have grown male parts. And they have all been good plants but one.

So pretty much the same results as any feminized seed in my experience and research.

And the breeder with 35 + years of experience I use tells me the same thing. He says I should like to find them. A great pheno can be hidden in them.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Here is the plant sprouted from the seed that popped out of a little bud and landed on my carpet. I actually found it so here she is.

I will let you know if she grows any stamen or I find seeds later. But I don't think she is suffering from any "failure to thrive" as you put it.

I realize you may have made your mind up but I thought from your thread it was worth a shot.

Blue Lemon Thai S-1 (floor seed)
IMG 4926
IMG 4927

She is the most vigourous plant in my room right now. But I will not likely find a seed this time as I constantly strive to make improvements to their environment.

And think of it from natures point of view. Please note I am quite high and just thought of this.

The strongest plant in an ecosystem is the one who hermaphrodites and saves their life cycle when all else fails.

They are just trying to reproduce. It can be repressed but not eliminated from a plants genes.

xenon730

xenon730

there's clearly an open male flower in the second photo and op said there was. you gonna risk that whole room or chop one? you should be worried theres not already pollen on the others from fans. the choice here is obvious.

william76

william76

If theres open sacks the damage is done!,unless its sterile,if theres seed set then its not sterile,off with its head!,76

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Just clean it all off and watch it. Can't distribute pollen if it doesn't have any. If it's one plant should be easy.
If its herm genetics it can have nanners inside the flower bursting open that you cant see until your whole crop is nothing but seed pods, I always chop herms now because of that reason.

Planter01

Planter01

@MIMedGrower . I'd say that Blue Lemon Thai was thriving by any measure. I haven't intentionally crossed anything since the 80's when I was able to cross and back cross the original Skunk and Northern Lights. Back then I was just trying to keep myself in good seed from year to year. Kept it going for close to ten years b4 I lost it. I wish I still had a couple seeds to pop. I'm afraid I don't pheno hunt. If I'm going to put the time and effort in to grow I want to give myself the best chance at success. I only grow femmed seeds indoors or outdoors these days. Maybe your breeder friend is right MIMed. I KNOW I will be finding some seeds so maybe I will pop a few for the outdoor garden.

Planter01

Planter01

The damage is done william. @DrMcSkunkins. I did a little surgery on the flowers and as you suggest and I expected there were male parts hidden under a sea of stigmas. Plucking the visible nannies wouldn't have made a difference.
Look closely..
20170311 155107
20170311 155350

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

@MIMedGrower . I'd say that Blue Lemon Thai was thriving by any measure. I haven't intentionally crossed anything since the 80's when I was able to cross and back cross the original Skunk and Northern Lights. Back then I was just trying to keep myself in good seed from year to year. Kept it going for close to ten years b4 I lost it. I wish I still had a couple seeds to pop. I'm afraid I don't pheno hunt. If I'm going to put the time and effort in to grow I want to give myself the best chance at success. I only grow femmed seeds indoors or outdoors these days. Maybe your breeder friend is right MIMed. I KNOW I will be finding some seeds so maybe I will pop a few for the outdoor garden.

Blue Lemon Thai is only available in feminized seed.

Top Bottom