In need of help! Not sure if my plant is ready

• Thread starter Vermont_grower98
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Vermont_grower98

Vermont_grower98

So i just got my new micro scope and checked the trichomes on my outdoor plant (which was started earlier in the season in my tent) and the tips of some seem milky while the bottome of the tricomes still seems clear...all while on the same leaf some trichomes have started to turn amber in color....ready to cut? Or still needing time? (Sorry about the crappy pictures its the best i could get haha)

EC5DE306 B221 46AA 924F B5DEB2768B52
F7F57F56 0A46 4C59 B0CE D12A80B922B7
Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

Vermont_grower98

Vermont_grower98

I've always heard to harvest when 30% thrichomes turn amber but also have heard it depends on high ur looking for as harvesting earlier with less amber leads to speedier & heady high & with more amber leads to more of body buzz. I know that's not great answer but theres definitely a balance. I think the 30% is more of a guideline then ppl.tweak to preference of high.
Thank you for the feed back! I always thought that the amber ment that it was past harvest and loosing potency but now i believe that is false haha

NotTooShabby

NotTooShabby

So i just got my new micro scope and checked the trichomes on my outdoor plant (which was started earlier in the season in my tent) and the tips of some seem milky while the bottome of the tricomes still seems clear...all while on the same leaf some trichomes have started to turn amber in color....ready to cut? Or still needing time? (Sorry about the crappy pictures its the best i could get haha)
First I would like to congratulate you on growing such beautiful plants. There are still some clear heads. I remember reading somewhere... "When you think it is ready, wait a week". Many quality genetics and great bud is lost to a premature harvest. Check them every 3 to 5 days... You have gotten this far, I am sure you will have a great harvest.

Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

Thank you for the feed back! I always thought that the amber ment that it was past harvest and loosing potency but now i believe that is false haha
I heard same thing about amber being past harvest but when most are amber is when I heard it’s past harvest. Obviously you don’t wanna harvest when majority are amber. If you’re not sure even do 50% but 30% is what I’ve heard over the yrs. Obviously you can’t believe everything you read but I think 30% is going starting point.

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
Yea, that still looks weeks early to me, the amber there is likely only in one or two spots, (I would look elsewhere on the plant) look at the overall plant morphology, the heads aren't bent, still growing.

Amber does mean something.

Make sure those heads don't get pinched or touched, bumped, (try to minimize) any type of mechanical trauma can screw with the trichome production. That might also be some early mold issues, or something developing, what's your humidity levels been like? I would keep an eye on them. Make sure that amber isn't spreading prematurely.

Could also be indicative of a nutritional deficiency of some time, I suppose.
It could be indicating a pathology of some type.

I'm not suggesting something's wrong, I'm simply suggesting it's a possibility, monitor it. You have a lot of variables outside that are not within your control, so there's going to be challenges, depending on geographical location.

Last edited:
Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
This is how amber presents itself, it's distributed in a "salt & pepper" mixture, dispersal will be uniform thoughout, not in a single localized area. It will be "speckled" with amber.

I don't know what you've got there, but it isn't indicative of ripening.

Looks like humidity (mold) or perhaps a heat issue, or something going wrong. (not exactly sure of the actual problem) Again, I would keep an eye on it, and try to nail down your issue here, or this could get much worse.

Cannabis trichomes end of harvest window
Top Bottom