in need of Suggestions

• Thread starter Chefster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Chefster

Chefster

This is my first post so Hello to all fellow farmers. I am looking for a couple of suggestions regarding a new system. First let me stay I have been a Dirt man since I started growing behind the garage in the 80’s. As I am waiting on my medical card I cannot decided on a system. This is my first attempt at Hydro and it will be quite large. (From most standards.) I am looking at 2 12x12 spaces with just under 2500.00 to invest
I have access to fresh air and the unit will be locked and contained on my own property. Now being a newbie to Hydro I have decided to go with an Ebb and Flo, where I need help is which sort? I have looked at a system with 12 2 gal. buckets a float bucket and a 50 gal drum. Now I have read a lot about the system and it seems to have a lot of flaws, the other system is a table system with the reserve under the table. I have read this is a much easier system to get up and running and keep running. Now do you use the table just as a flood table with pots with holes on the bottoms of the pot, or do you use the nets? The last thing is the lights. Should I go with 2 1000w in each space or will 2 600’s be enough

Thank you for any suggestions that you may have, even if I did not touch on something or missed it please give suggestions.
Chefster

D

DND

It really depends on how many plants you want to run. I would definitely go with a table setup because as you say it's simpler. Once you find out how many times a day to flood, the only maintenance will be checking the ph, ppm's and topping off the rez daily... (depending on your nutrient regimen.)

Also, will one space be dedicated to veg and one for flowering? This is my guess.

Here's my suggestion for your budget and the unknowns of your plant numbers and the above question.

I would setup one room with 2 - 4x8 trays with 2 - 600W lamps over each tray. 32 plants in 1 gallon nursery pots per table, this would be your flower room. For the veg room I would setup a single 4x4 tray with 6-10 mother plants with a 400 or 600W light. Along with a 60+ site aeroponic cloner, no need to dedicate a light to it as long as it's catching rays from the light above your mother plants. You would also have room to store all of your grow room supplies and setup a space to trim and dry also.

I would run the SOG (Sea of Green) method with a perpetual harvest every 2 weeks. Once you dial everything in and depending on your strain, you could harvest a lb or more every 2 weeks. You could even adjust to a once a month harvest which is less work, but you could easily get an lb per light each time.

Here is a link that explains it all. http://forum.grasscity.com/advanced-growing-techniques/156593-get-harvest-every-2-weeks.html

Use nursery pots instead of net-pots especially if you are going to use hydroton as a media or adjust your flood times to flood more often because they will dry out fast.

Just my idea and currently setting up a once a month perpetual. Only difference is I'm using aeroponic systems with a small footprint due to space limitations.

TortureKill

TortureKill

Welcome to the farm bro! Good luck selecting a system to run :D

singlespeed

singlespeed

In regards to lighting, my room is 10x9 and use 2 4x8ish trays with 4x1000s, 2 over each tray… but that might blow your budget. Good Luck with it. What strain are you going to grow?

C

crossouttheiis

If you are waiting to figure out what type of set up you are trying to go with you should ask yourself what would be most efficient with the amounts of plants I am allowed by the state I live in unless you don't care about that?

If you get cheaper stuff half of your budget is going to be consumed by lights (bulb ballast hood). Have you thought of maybe just getting your lighting and climate dialed in your first run and then upgrading to hydro on a following run.

M

Mr.Detroit

that is a small budget to work with for that much space

B

Bobby Smith

What the previous two posters said.

For EACH 12x12 room I'd have to alot somewhere in the neighborhood of $5-$10K, depending on how well you wanted to set it up (EDIT: that number is probably higher than needed if not going sealed)

You're gonna need AT LEAST 4K in each space (8x8 area, 10x10 if you stretch it) to make it worth your while.

EDIT: At minimum, you're gonna need 4 1Ks per space ($3K), then trays, pumps, plumbing, fans, etc., which is gonna quickly take you to $5K.

Then you need another $1K in inline fans if doing intake/exhaust, and another $5K if you want to go sealed.

I'd recommend starting with one room, 2-4K in lighting with intake/exhaust and using soil to get your feet wet.

DND's suggestion would work well, but I'd bump that wattage up to 2K/table.

N

nononsense

It really depends on how many plants you want to run. I would definitely go with a table setup because as you say it's simpler. Once you find out how many times a day to flood, the only maintenance will be checking the ph, ppm's and topping off the rez daily... (depending on your nutrient regimen.)

Also, will one space be dedicated to veg and one for flowering? This is my guess.

Here's my suggestion for your budget and the unknowns of your plant numbers and the above question.

I would setup one room with 2 - 4x8 trays with 2 - 600W lamps over each tray. 32 plants in 1 gallon nursery pots per table, this would be your flower room. For the veg room I would setup a single 4x4 tray with 6-10 mother plants with a 400 or 600W light. Along with a 60+ site aeroponic cloner, no need to dedicate a light to it as long as it's catching rays from the light above your mother plants. You would also have room to store all of your grow room supplies and setup a space to trim and dry also.

I would run the SOG (Sea of Green) method with a perpetual harvest every 2 weeks. Once you dial everything in and depending on your strain, you could harvest a lb or more every 2 weeks. You could even adjust to a once a month harvest which is less work, but you could easily get an lb per light each time.

Here is a link that explains it all. http://forum.grasscity.com/advanced-growing-techniques/156593-get-harvest-every-2-weeks.html

Use nursery pots instead of net-pots especially if you are going to use hydroton as a media or adjust your flood times to flood more often because they will dry out fast.

Just my idea and currently setting up a once a month perpetual. Only difference is I'm using aeroponic systems with a small footprint due to space limitations.

good info bud

crom

crom

Cannobi Genetics
Supporter

Sounds like a good plan. I hope you are taking electricity, nutes, timers, everything electric, CO2 costs, RO system, carbon filters, reflective material for walls and floors, lumber for building rooms, medium used.... Not knocking anything though I would start smaller and expand with more experience if diving into hydro. Think about the amount of nutes you need to fill a few large reservoirs and doing that every two weeks, at least. Then you have to factor in pest prevention/control. Then there are all the other hiccups that come with learning hydro. Get a good combo meter like say a Bluelab. EC/TDS/PH/Temp all of that will help you succeed. Best of luck bro. Start a thread I'd like to see it.:damnhippie:

Cheers,
Crom

Top Bottom