Incandescent Bulbs

• Thread starter London bud
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
London bud

London bud

This is a friend of mines plant, it's stardawg from seed and has been grown under 260w of incandescent. 2x 100w and a 60w. It's a bit spindly and I'm not sure how much bud he'll end up with but I was suprised none the less, it seems to growing ok, I've never seen a plant grown under incandescents so itll be interesting to see how it develops. Just thought id share this so others could see.
View attachment Video.MOV

Last edited:
London bud

London bud

My pal ain't got much experience growing but he's learning and enjoying himself while growing this plant.
Onwards n upwards i say, every plant i grow i learn a little more and im sure with my pal itll be the same.
I'm not saying its doing amazing under these lights but it's suprised me, I was expecting it to be a lot more spindly than it is.
I wonder if an oz is possible with the incandescents? Ill find out in a few months

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

My pal ain't got much experience growing but he's learning and enjoying himself while growing this plant.
Onwards n upwards i say, every plant i grow i learn a little more and im sure with my pal itll be the same.
I'm not saying its doing amazing under these lights but it's suprised me, I was expecting it to be a lot more spindly than it is.
I wonder if an oz is possible with the incandescents? Ill find out in a few months
I can't answer that one..BUT I have seen CFL grows that do ok (still not advised). If you or your friend hunt around here you will find EXCELLENT lights that draw even less power than 260 TRUE watts and can flower a plant or 2 easily and with SUPERB results..Kits are available as well as knockoffs..I speak of HLG QB boards/kits etc..You can google it too.

As a starter..consider 3000-3500k for general purpose veg and flower. (I run them here)..Figure a dollar a watt or less (Ebay has great knockoffs with the same diodes (I run them too))

This is a V1 HLG QB288..135 watts from the wall!:cool:

Quantum 135w

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
Bro if your friend doesn’t wants to buy fixtures at least tell him to get warm white philips 14w led bulbs. Just pop the diffuser off and use it. It’d be much better than this and they are pretty cheap.

Like 4 of them should grow good buds.

The far red from incandescent causes this stretch and it’ll continue to stretch and if he does get any “buds” they will be stretched and fluffy as fuck.

London bud

London bud

I can't answer that one..BUT I have seen CFL grows that do ok (still not advised). If you or your friend hunt around here you will find EXCELLENT lights that draw even less power than 260 TRUE watts and can flower a plant or 2 easily and with SUPERB results..Kits are available as well as knockoffs..I speak of HLG QB boards/kits etc..You can google it too.

As a starter..consider 3000-3500k for general purpose veg and flower. (I run them here)..Figure a dollar a watt or less (Ebay has great knockoffs with the same diodes (I run them too))

This is a V1 HLG QB288..135 watts from the wall!:cool:

View attachment 858564

This is a plant I grew with cfl only, over 2z off her still and the bud quality was nothing to complain about, they were tight n sticky
https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/sshaze-260w-cfl.100153/page-2

Last edited:
London bud

London bud

So its been a while, I'll post a video a bit later, I think your all be surprised at what's been achieved with a few incandecents, I certainly was.
It's vegged pretty well. It's been 12/12 for two weeks now, how well it flowers will be the real test though. Im really interested to see how this will finish now

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
You need to upgrade your lights, period. You can't grow decent buds using incandescent lighting unless you had a zillion of them and an AC system to keep them cool.
CFL is a much better choice, with LED being about the best choice for your buddy. You need a LOT of light. If your friend is handy at all with electronics, 50 watt COB LED lights can be purchased for about $2.50 each, needing just a heatsink to help with the heat dissipation. The newer ones don't need drivers or anything...just plug into 80-240V AC and let it grow. Total cost is about $10 for the COB, Heatsink, and misc equip. Even the cheapest $15 LED grow lights advertised online from China will work MUCH better than a incandescent light bulb. I know that your friend is trying to keep costs down, but you can't grow without enough good quality light. No way around it.

London bud

London bud

Everyone saids itll be shit with them bulbs including me but who has actually ever tried? Personally I've never tried with incandescent because I've assumed it isn't possible. I didn't expect the plant to look so good as it is now.
Three bulbs and a desk fan is all he's using. Honesty I'm surprised so far. I'm not sure how itll bud but I'm really interested to see what happens.
Gimme a few hours and I'll get the video up.

UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

Folks have tried bro. It’s just a waist. Buddy can order a couple led bulbs cheap on amazon and that would kick the crap out of the incandescent bulbs. Like honestly 30 watts of led would own that 260 watts lol. I recently bought a blurple bulb for my tomatoes. Was 30 bucks and draws about 25 watts. I’m growing like 20 tomatoes under it right now. Where bouts does your buddy live? I m not a rich man but I will personally give him a 400 watt mh or some led bulbs if he tosses the incandescent bulbs. Deal?

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Everyone saids itll be shit with them bulbs including me but who has actually ever tried? Personally I've never tried with incandescent because I've assumed it isn't possible. I didn't expect the plant to look so good as it is now.
Three bulbs and a desk fan is all he's using. Honesty I'm surprised so far. I'm not sure how itll bud but I'm really interested to see what happens.
I tried growing years ago using incandescent bulbs. I got buds and stuff...at the end of the grow, I got maybe an 1/8 oz of very wispy buds that weren't too high of quality. Seriously...you can grow a plant under just about ANY light, but you need a LOT of bright light to grow it well or big. It will be like one of those tiny ears of corn you get in Chinese food, instead of the big ears of corn you get during the summer months...they are both corn, but the smaller one isn't really worth the grow other than as a curiosity.
I'm not trying to be mean, but you need a certain level of light to grow successfully, and a few incandescent bulbs don't provide enough of it. If you had a dozen 150w bulbs, you would be getting close to what you would need for a 3x3 tent. Incandescent bulbs just don't produce enough light and produce too much heat to make them practical.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter

Pics would suffice.

London bud

London bud

So check this out, stardawg vegged under three incandescents from seed for 5months.
Flowered with two incandescents and two led bulbs in a cupboard no more than 3x3ft.
I'm really quite suprised, this is me with the plant after my boy chopped it, it looks really good and it smells really good, as for smoking will have to wait n see as its drying now. There's easy an oz on there and honestly let me tell you there is nothing fluffy about the buds on this, they're covered in trichs and smell chronic, its definetely nothing to complain about or turn your nose up at.
This was in a 2,5L pot being fed the flora range and some silica.

before anyone starts telling me i need to sort my lights or do this or that, remember this is not my grow, personally I still don't consider incandescents an option, I just want to share this because I think it's pretty interesting. I see newbies on here spending what I'm guessing is probably hundreds on tents and lights and fans yet they can't even grow a plant properly, im not saying I would grow like this or recommend it but it shows what can be done with very minimum expenditure. I was honestly quite suprised, personally I think my boy fucking smashed it! Not a bad start at all. Im looking forward to seeing what he achieves as he upgrades along the way, i need to get him signed up on here.

2019 06 09 193120

Last edited:
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
If the pic is showing the plant that was grown using 3 incandescent bulbs, hats off to you! I guess a tiny grow room is practical with them, although I would think CFLs would be considerably better. In any event, it is a lot more than I would have expected. Keep us in the loop about your final dried yield, it will be interesting to have the info for comparisons!

London bud

London bud

If the pic is showing the plant that was grown using 3 incandescent bulbs, hats off to you! I guess a tiny grow room is practical with them, although I would think CFLs would be considerably better. In any event, it is a lot more than I would have expected. Keep us in the loop about your final dried yield, it will be interesting to have the info for comparisons!
I did tell him multiple times to get cfl or led bulbs but he wouldn't be told but fair play to him he still pulled off a decent plant. He finished with two led bulbs and two incandescents.
Absolutely, I'll let you know the grams when she's dried, I can't wait to find out myself.
I'll get a few close up shots of the bud up later, it looks really nice.
He managed to get himself a cutting that's rooted aswel so we're have to see how he does second time round, I'm gonna give him one of my cuttings aswel so hes got two to work on.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Man, my only question is why? It's so inferior to literally every other lighting system besides heat lamps, why spend months caring for something that could be so vastly improved with a very cheap and simple upgrade? T5HO, compact LED, CFL would be better even..

I've grown under incandescents, when I was 16.. It was inside a big speaker cabinet to hide it from my parents and it grew. I think i yielded a few grams of fluff., dont remember the exact yield, it was a looong time ago.

London bud, I have to say the more of your posts I read, the more I find it amusing that you are the guy who once told me I need to get my head out of the textbook and get some real life growing experience. But hey, regardless even though it's not YOU who is running this particular experiment, I give you kudos for not blindly following the trends and trying shit out for yourself. Many growers lack that openmindedness and get too wrapped up in their ego. so cheers to that.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom