Increasing hours of darkness during flower?

• Thread starter Goodbudz4
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Goodbudz4

Goodbudz4

Hey so Iā€™m wondering if anyone out there increases the amount of darkness your plants get during flower?
Im talking like 12-14 hours darkness the first 2 weeks
14-16 the next 2 weeks and then 16-18 hours of darkness the rest of the way... maybe even 24 hours the last couple days?
Anyone?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Can't see that being of benefit. Already reduced to 12 hrs of photosynthesis. Maybe 1-2hrs if you have enough light intensity.

Curious as to why you ask.

Goodbudz4

Goodbudz4

Can't see that being of benefit. Already reduced to 12 hrs of photosynthesis. Maybe 1-2hrs if you have enough light intensity.

Curious as to why you ask.

Just been trying to experiment and I had a buddy run this idea by me.
Apparently darkness is the reason behind the buds growth because darkness induces the production of Florigene and eventually helps the bud to mature. Just wondering what kind of effect this will have? Might just say F it try it and see šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Just been trying to experiment and I had a buddy run this idea by me.
Apparently darkness is the reason behind the buds growth because darkness induces the production of Florigene and eventually helps the bud to mature. Just wondering what kind of effect this will have? Might just say F it try it and see šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø

Say what? What is florigene?

I think your friend may be pulling your leg.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

The

Lol sorry my spelling sucks
Ahhh ok. Yeah that happens from start to finish. The plant is always producing (don't think it's florigen but maybe) during the dark period... its then converted back to another compound and the name escapes me when the plant is photosynthesizing... so it's like a back and forth tug o war.

When you hit around 13hrs of dark the balance shifs and the plant start to flower.... creating more is not necessary as the plant will stay in flower unless you shift the balance back by increase the lights on period... in which case it will reveg.

The plants make food by turning light energy into we will just call it food during photosynthesis. This food is then used to produce more growth... buds, stalks, leaves etc. The amount of light (photons) given to the plant daily (DLI) has a direct impact on the amount of growth it can produce including buds.

This is why we need high light in flower to get as many photons to the plants as we can in our limited 12hrs. It's a bit more complicated but your plan will greatly reduce your yields.

Last edited:
Goodbudz4

Goodbudz4

Ahhh ok. Yeah that happens from start to finish. The plant is always producing it during the dark period... its then converted back to another compound and the name escapes me when the plant is photosynthesizing... so it's like a back and forth tug o war.

When you hit around 13hrs of dark the balance shifs and the plant start to flower.... creating more is not necessary as the plant will stay in flower unless you shift the balance back by increase the lights on period... in which case it will reveg.

The plants make food by turning light energy into we will just call it food during photosynthesis. This food is then used to produce more growth... buds, stalks, leaves etc. The amount of light (photons) given to the plant daily (DLI) has a direct impact on the amount of growth it can produce including buds.

This is why we need high light in flower to get as many photons to the plants as we can in our limited 12hrs. It's a bit more complicated but your plan will greatly reduce your yields.
Im looking for quality over quantity. Have you tried this before? Sounds like you have

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Im looking for quality over quantity. Have you tried this before? Sounds like you have
Nope and I never would. I don't have to in order to know both quality and quantity will suffer.

I'm sure someone has at some point. Just having a basic understanding of how plants work tells me this is 100% a bad idea but feel free to try and post.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Just to step away and put it in context... a plant likes nitrogen... to little is bad to much is bad...I know it's completely different but the same concept.

There is not much left in terms of photoperiod of cannabis that has not been studied extensively.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Pretty sure the light cycle change initiates the hormonal changes and then they continue to flower cycle regardless unless too little darkness initiates re-vegetation phase. Plant structure how many branches and bud sites is genetic, nutrient and light spectrum based mostly I would surmise.

in other words I agree with @Aqua Man here.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I've done a run on 11/13, I won't do it again, smaller lighter buds & with the light off 13hrs it didn't help me go through the water in my pots, cooler through a longer night. I'm back to 12/12

Latest posts

Top Bottom