Indiana state senator files marijuana decriminalization bill

• Thread starter OctoberDee
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
OctoberDee

OctoberDee

Looks like the trend is not phasing out anytime soon, the tide is changing in most states. Political climate seems to favor marijuana decriminalization even in conservative states.

INDIANAPOLIS -​
An Indiana state senator has introduced a bill reducing the penalties for possession of marijuana.
The move comes after Washington and Colorado voted to decriminalize marijuana in those states in the November 2012 election. Eighteen other states legalized marijuana for medicinal use. However, the federal government could still choose to enforce federal law, so the future of those new state laws is unclear.
Tuesday, Indiana State Senator Karen Tallian (D-Portage) introduced a bill at the Statehouse to decriminalize the drug in Indiana.
"I am a practicing attorney. I have sat in court so many times and watched young kids, one after another, do plea agreements on this much marijuana and it is just stupid," Tallian said.
Tallian's offering would reduce the penalty of possession of less than two ounces of marijuana to an infraction, punishable by a fine. It also reduces the penalties for distribution and possession of metabolites while driving. The bill also paves the way for industrial hemp production and eliminates the existing $3.50/per gram tax.
Last November, the head of the Indiana State Police told a committee of lawmakers that marijuana is here to stay and there's a national trend toward allowing adults to have small amounts. Paul Whitesell said he would favor the legalization of marijuana in Indiana if it is taxed.
"It's here. It's going to stay. There is an awful lot of victimization that goes with it. If it were up to me, I would legalize and tax it, but, particularly in sight of the fact that several other states have come to that part of their legal system, as well," Whitesell said.
ISP backpedaled after Whitesell's remarks.
Ross Thomas has practiced law in Indiana for the last 18 years. He is also a member of the Indiana chapter of NORML - the National Organization for Reform of Marijuana Laws.
"One of the things I point out is, Ohio has had marijuana decriminalization since 1976 for anything less than 100 grams of marijuana. It's a fine and no jail time. As far as I know, Ohio is not a hedonist paradise," said Thomas.
This is the third consecutive year that Senator Tallian has filed a similar bill about marijuana. No hearing date has been set, but Tallian's bill is not expected to pass.

azmmjadvocates

azmmjadvocates

Yeah, hopefully the language of distribution and possession included cultivation, but I doubt it.. The will probably still be vilifying mmj cultivators, kicking in doors of grows, confiscating possessions to fund their government. But definitely good news for smokers and the cartel. Any change in the right direction is change worth celebrating.

Top Bottom