Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9-12oz

• 12oz and beyond

• Total voters
BlackBeard

BlackBeard

If you're worried about the density for the reason of light reaching the lower bud sites something you could do is just trim the lower bud sites off, allowing the plant to put it's energy into the buds higher up and closer to the light, I've attached a pic of a grow I did it on, it's not the best example but you can see what i mean in the lower left corner.

Maybe wait until after making sure that plant doesn't full on hermie before doing so as if you have to bin her/it you'll have lot's more room anyway

Trim
Docta Haze

Docta Haze

If you're worried about the density for the reason of light reaching the lower bud sites something you could do is just trim the lower bud sites off, allowing the plant to put it's energy into the buds higher up and closer to the light, I've attached a pic of a grow I did it on, it's not the best example but you can see what i mean in the lower left corner.

Maybe wait until after making sure that plant doesn't full on hermie before doing so as if you have to bin her/it you'll have lot's more room anyway

That's beautiful! Cool pic. I imagine if heat can be controlled that those umbrella hoods are perfect for tents. I think sometime around week 3 of flower I'll clean up the shoots and leaves under the canopy a little. I'll only worry about that if I keep all 4 plants though. Who knows, maybe if I remove a plant the other 3 will bulk up enough so I don't lose too much yield. But that's probably just wishful thinking.

BlackBeard

BlackBeard

Thanks, that grow was Anesthesia by Sannies seeds.

The parabolic reflectors are brilliant for light coverage, In my opinion they spread light far better than all the normal hoods due to their shape and size, I used to use one of these reflectors in a 1.2m tent with a 6" extractor fan with no heat issues at all.

Yeah waiting until week 3 to tidy them up is probably a good call, if you chuck the 1 plant you'll get more per plant than if you had all 4 but probably not the combined total of 4 plants, don't quote me on that though haha

Docta Haze

Docta Haze

Just noticed some leaf discoloration today spreading on some leaves off one stem on my plant. I fed EWC tea and 1/4strength Jamaican guano 0-10-0 3 days ago. Then watered RO/rainwater mix @ 6.5ph. The bottom leaves don't show anything. Any guess from the pics below what's going on?

1114152211a
1114152211b
Docta Haze

Docta Haze

Leaf condition worsened on one plant and has become noticeable on two of the other three. I'm pretty upset about how severe it's become in just two days. I flushed the plant that developed it first (#2) with 3 gallons of rain water PH at 6.7-7.0. This probably was not enough, I collected a runoff which tested around 5.0. Either my plants are deficient in some immobile nutrient, or the soil is locking them out with low PH.

Here's what the leaves started looking like:
Day 43 F17 9

Day 43 F17 12

I plan to feed earthworm tea and dress with guano tomorrow nonetheless with all the of the plants including what I just flushed. I'm going to the store tomorrow to buy more RO water so I can give a heavy water to wash out some salts and lower acidity before feeding

In other news we are on day 44, flower 18 today and things aren't all bad.
Day 44 F18 6
Day 44 F18 3

Last edited:
H

happy b

Hey Topofthecrop thanks for your advice! I have a question though. Many postings about the height of an HPS air cooled setup have stressed the importance of finding the optimum distance from the top of a canopy. This optimum distance involves a few considerations however, and I've read to consider light intensity, heat exposure, and light dispersal.

My light is currently placed about 10" from the top of my canopy. It is a 90,000 lumen output (not sure of its par rating) attached to a parabolic-like air cooled hood. I have no troubles with heat right now, and I'm pretty sure the plant leaves aren't showing signs of heat stress. This is, however, the closest I can set the light without it giving any discomfort to my hand placed above the canopy below.

Are you advising that I raise the light 2 inches more so that it is a full foot above the canopy? Or do you advise that I move it a whole foot or even two feet more than the current 10 inches so that it is a full 22" - 34" inches above? Thanks!
Your light looks fine to me.especially if its air cooled.
wat i will say is this..next time your buying beans forget nirvana.i grew em for years and wenever something was wrong the nirvana were always the first to fuck up.with the exception of theyr ak48 which was great.

H

happy b

Leaf condition worsened on one plant and has become noticeable on two of the other three. I'm pretty upset about how severe it's become in just two days. I flushed the plant that developed it first (#2) with 3 gallons of rain water PH at 6.7-7.0. This probably was not enough, I collected a runoff which tested around 5.0. Either my plants are deficient in some immobile nutrient, or the soil is locking them out with low PH.

Here's what the leaves started looking like:
View attachment 550000
View attachment 550001

I plan to feed earthworm tea and dress with guano tomorrow nonetheless with all the of the plants including what I just flushed. I'm going to the store tomorrow to buy more RO water so I can give a heavy water to wash out some salts and lower acidity before feeding

In other news we are on day 44, flower 18 today and things aren't all bad.
View attachment 550003 View attachment 550002
Looks like damping off from over watering to me.a common thing for newer growers.let the soil dry out a good bit before watering again.adding water to an already moist medium is a gauranteed disaster.

Docta Haze

Docta Haze

Hey happy b thanks for the input! I've been worried of over watering since I popped these seeds in the dirt. I'm doing my best to wait until the pots feel light and the top 2 inches are dry before each watering. Recently (now at day 44) I have been waiting 5 days or so to water with a 5gallon soil mix of roughly 70% ocean forest and 30% perlite. I'd hate for this to be the true problem, because I just flushed the worst looking plant with more water.

On another note, I've only fed them once with a very mild regimen of earth worm casting tea and bat guano. So if their PH isnt off in the soil then maybe they're crying for some kind of nutrient. RO water I've heard has a tendency to deprive them of calcium and magnesium.

Docta Haze

Docta Haze

I could really use some help with this problem. My plant that I flushed last night is looking even worse today with more affected leaves. A second plant is also showing similar symptoms and I worry it is on the same path as the severely affected first plant.

Basically leaves on upper nodes of the branches begin showing dark spotting between veins and then the tips turn yellow as the whole leaf shrivels and curls upwards and inwards until it is dry and lifeless.

1116151908a1
1116151908c1
kingkam1988

kingkam1988

How's everyone doing? I'm here again for another update. The bud sites are really starting to get hairy, but I'm running into a huge problem. I think one of my four plants is beginning to go hermie on me. I checked her all over and found 3 or 4 calyx sites without hairs, and one or two sites with a straight ball and stem. I removed all suspected pollen sacks and I'll be sure to keep checking her to be sure she's a hermie.

It's a real bummer I might have to chop her down as she is by far the most hairy and progressed into flowering. As you can see below the tent is getting really dense so maybe some space will be a good thing anyways.

Two days ago (Day 39, Flower 14) I fed 1gal of RO water with 1/4 gal of EWC tea and 1 tablespoon of bat guano dressed on top. They seem to have enjoyed the feeding so I'll be repeating it next week too with less water. All the major colas have started to stretch finally and are getting more light as they grow to separate from the rest of the canopy.

Anyways here are some pics. Let's hope the next posting still includes all four plants. Day 39-41, Flower 14 - 16
you dont need that much dirt whwn your plants are that small you could of tripled your size by raising the light and letting it stretch a little bit trust me you be surprised i did the same thing you did on my first ever grow

kingkam1988

kingkam1988

I could really use some help with this problem. My plant that I flushed last night is looking even worse today with more affected leaves. A second plant is also showing similar symptoms and I worry it is on the same path as the severely affected first plant.

Basically leaves on upper nodes of the branches begin showing dark spotting between veins and then the tips turn yellow as the whole leaf shrivels and curls upwards and inwards until it is dry and lifeless.

20151116 214511
Docta Haze

Docta Haze

thats 3 weeks in flowering day 21
Thanks for sharing, that plant looks enormous and very well filled out for day 21. I wish my plants could resemble yours. I'm dealing with some nutrient burn problems right now I think. I'm just hoping I can get something worth smoking at this point.

Last edited:
kingkam1988

kingkam1988

Thanks for sharing, that plant looks enormous and very well filled out for day 21. I wish my plants could resemble yours. I'm dealing with some nutrient burn problems right now I think. I'm just hoping I can get something worth smoking at this point.
fox farm soil is basically the only thing youneed for veg it will give your plant all the nutirents it need im using 0 50 30 for flowering try that out might help your plant

kingkam1988

kingkam1988

but i grew my plant in veg for 4 months to so its almost a 6 footer

kingkam1988

kingkam1988

but i grew my plant in veg for 4 months to so its almost a 6 footer

Onetwothree

Onetwothree

Hey man- nice journal so far, I hope everything works out with the issues you are having. I'll be watching your thread eagerly, I have two nirvana white widows that are about 1 month from seed. Good luck!

Docta Haze

Docta Haze

Hey man- nice journal so far, I hope everything works out with the issues you are having. I'll be watching your thread eagerly, I have two nirvana white widows that are about 1 month from seed. Good luck!
Hey thanks for stopping by. Unfortunately I've run into some awful luck during this grow. Firstly, I haven't been able to update the grow recently because my computer harddrive just quit on me leaving me to go to a library to access this forum. Second, and even worse, are the terrible condition of my plants. 3 of which are burnt to a crisp, pretty much every top visible leaf. The 4th plant is showing similar signs now too. Its hard to believe I caused this all with such a small amount of bat guano, so i really don't know what to believe. I'm left in the dark not knowing where I went wrong, but all I have are some sad looking plants. I can only hope they dont die and that I can at least smoke something off of them. I guess you win some and you lose some. Hopefully next time will be more rewarding.

Matt McAuley

Matt McAuley

Hey man sorry to hear about your struggles. But what doesn't kill you makes you a better grower. I find soil and organics to be tricky, I am locked into it at my current grow. Soil has its upside believe me, but it is a bitch to dial in what works and doesn't, and it probably won't happen in 1 go. I think you will still get some decent bud out of it and that is an accomplishment in and of itself. For next time I would make these suggestions. For the size of tent you are running grow 1 good sized plant. You will yield more than if you try to cram plants in. Also a lot of that burn is likely from a little over watering and ph fluctuation. I've been down that road and it is like quick sand trying to right the ship. All in all though good job for a first time. Interested to see how the bud turns out!

Onetwothree

Onetwothree

Keep on keepin on man! Just when things seem like they can't get much worse is when you need to keep your head about you.

Top Bottom