Indoor and Outdoor grows at the same time.

• Thread starter FreeTheWeeds
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

FreeTheWeeds

I started two seeds April 18th, Blue Cheese and Afgani in a 20"x36" grow tent using cheap Barrina LED grow strips, 40 watts, suspended 18" above the pots for now. Lighting is 18/6 with daytime temp and humidity of 78/60%.

Indoor and outdoor grows at the same time

The Afgani popped 4/20 with the Blue Cheese popping on 4/24. The white substance on the soil is Diatomaceous earth trying to control gnats that have shown up. Tomorrow I'll be picking up sticky paper traps to help control them.

The first of May, I setup a cheap plastic greenhouse to start outdoor plants in. I planted Blue Cheese, Afgani, and Granddaddy Purple, along with a GDP seed that showed up on my last plant.

Indoor and outdoor grows at the same time 2

The GDP in the small blue pot is being started for a friend, to be transplanted into his garden once topped several times. Popped 5/8.

Indoor and outdoor grows at the same time 3

Blue Cheese. Popped 5/9.

Indoor and outdoor grows at the same time 4

Afgani. Popped 5/10.

Indoor and outdoor grows at the same time 5

Granddaddy Purple. Popped 5/11. Look closely in front of the toothpick, in the red circle and you can see the seed shell pushing up, still covering the proto leaves.

Indoor and outdoor grows at the same time 6

Plants will stay in the greenhouse for two weeks, or when they get about a foot tall and have been topped at least once.

I keep this updated twice a month during the grow. I'm interested to see the difference at the end.

Have a good day.

F

FreeTheWeeds

Well, it been almost three months now. Sorry about not posting like I wanted to, but the summer work load picked up and has been keeping me busy.

First, on this grow I was trying a new soil mix. From now on, I'll stick to my own custom cow manure mix, which has always resulted in great outdoor plants. Since starting indoors last year, I didn't want the smell in the house and first used a general potting soil and for this grow I went with the Maine Coastal soil. Trouble with gnats, and plant nutrition. Couldn't add enough fertilizer to prevent bottom yellowing leaves in the beginning. Very stunted growth until I started aggressively adding some natural fertilizer to the top of the soil.

Here's a few pics at about a 45 days of the outdoor plants
IMG 20220616 0923061

IMG 20220616 0923021

IMG 20220616 0922581

The indoor plants.
IMG 20220616 0916171

IMG 20220616 0916301

You can see the lower yellowing and my fight with the gnats.
IMG 20220616 0916401

This the outdoor Blue Cheese. There's two plants in the pot. The first seed came up with distorted and stunted proto leaves, so I planted another seed. That one came up normal, but than the first one started to finally grow. Each plant has been topped twice.
IMG 20220727 1039411

This is the Grand Daddy Purple. This plant was topped 4 times.
IMG 20220727 1039501

This is the Afghani which was topped 5 times.
IMG 20220727 1039571

This is the Blue Cheese that was started in the tent at the same time. Brought outside about 2 weeks ago. Topped 4 times.
IMG 20220727 1040061

This is the Afghani that was started in the tent. Topped about 6 times. Set outside about two weeks.
IMG 20220727 1040211

Here's a group shot of the outdoor plants. Cane is included for height reference. These plants have been growing about 2 inches a day with each planting needing to be watered twice a day, about two gallons.
IMG 20220727 1041161

Group shot of the tent started plants with the same cane used for scale. They've also started to really suck up the water.
IMG 20220727 1041431

All the plants have started to show the female calyx pistils. I post a few closeup as they develop.

Have a good day.

sambapati

sambapati

Well, it been almost three months now. Sorry about not posting like I wanted to, but the summer work load picked up and has been keeping me busy.

First, on this grow I was trying a new soil mix. From now on, I'll stick to my own custom cow manure mix, which has always resulted in great outdoor plants. Since starting indoors last year, I didn't want the smell in the house and first used a general potting soil and for this grow I went with the Maine Coastal soil. Trouble with gnats, and plant nutrition. Couldn't add enough fertilizer to prevent bottom yellowing leaves in the beginning. Very stunted growth until I started aggressively adding some natural fertilizer to the top of the soil.

Here's a few pics at about a 45 days of the outdoor plants
View attachment 1265594

View attachment 1265595

View attachment 1265596

The indoor plants.
View attachment 1265598

View attachment 1265599

You can see the lower yellowing and my fight with the gnats.
View attachment 1265600

This the outdoor Blue Cheese. There's two plants in the pot. The first seed came up with distorted and stunted proto leaves, so I planted another seed. That one came up normal, but than the first one started to finally grow. Each plant has been topped twice.
View attachment 1265579

This is the Grand Daddy Purple. This plant was topped 4 times.
View attachment 1265580

This is the Afghani which was topped 5 times.
View attachment 1265581

This is the Blue Cheese that was started in the tent at the same time. Brought outside about 2 weeks ago. Topped 4 times.
View attachment 1265582

This is the Afghani that was started in the tent. Topped about 6 times. Set outside about two weeks.
View attachment 1265585

Here's a group shot of the outdoor plants. Cane is included for height reference. These plants have been growing about 2 inches a day with each planting needing to be watered twice a day, about two gallons.
View attachment 1265586

Group shot of the tent started plants with the same cane used for scale. They've also started to really suck up the water.
View attachment 1265588d

All the plants have started to show the female calyx pistils. I post a few closeup as they develop.

Have a good day.
Good work is showing up in your garden, nice recovery.

F

FreeTheWeeds

Some photos. Starting to look like it might be a good year.

Closeup of the outdoor Blue Cheese, near the top. You can see trichomes starting to form on two of the leaves near the center of the picture.
IMG 20220804 0923201

This is the outdoor Granddaddy Purple. Showing some nice buds starting.
IMG 20220804 0923251

This is the Afghani, started indoors. It started with normal leaves, but since being moved outside, it's developed a strange growth pattern. New leaves are coming out as a single blade leaf or at the most three blade leafs. Pistils seem to be developing normally.
IMG 20220804 0924131

A different angle of the indoor Afghani showing some budding.
IMG 20220804 0924211

This is the top of the outdoor Afghani. It looks like it will develop into a nice 6" long bud by itself. I'll be keeping a close eye on this one as it develops. Trichomes are just starting to show up.
IMG 20220804 0925471

I'll post more as the plants develop.

Have a good day.

sambapati

sambapati

Some photos. Starting to look like it might be a good year.

Closeup of the outdoor Blue Cheese, near the top. You can see trichomes starting to form on two of the leaves near the center of the picture.
View attachment 1268034

This is the outdoor Granddaddy Purple. Showing some nice buds starting.
View attachment 1268035

This is the Afghani, started indoors. It started with normal leaves, but since being moved outside, it's developed a strange growth pattern. New leaves are coming out as a single blade leaf or at the most three blade leafs. Pistils seem to be developing normally.
View attachment 1268040

A different angle of the indoor Afghani showing some budding.
View attachment 1268041

This is the top of the outdoor Afghani. It looks like it will develop into a nice 6" long bud by itself. I'll be keeping a close eye on this one as it develops. Trichomes are just starting to show up.
View attachment 1268042

I'll post more as the plants develop.

Have a good day.
Going to be Kushalicious

F

FreeTheWeeds

OH NO! My tallest Blue Cheese is a male!

IMG 20220808 0900181

IMG 20220808 0900501

The male sacks popped out overnight. It's already been cut down. Didn't find any developed sacks. This is one of 5 Blue Cheese feminized seeds that I bought from Grower's Choice Seeds. Price was $60 plus tax and shipping. Still have two seeds left.

I've read about taking male plants, extracting the plant juice and spraying it on female growing bud. It's supposed to increase yield and potency. My problem is I don't have a juice extractor press so that I only have the liquid to spray on the buds. Looking for any ideas on the best way to do this without having a roller press.

On the other hand, the outdoor Afghani that I planted has been producing buds like crazy.
IMG 20220808 0856041

IMG 20220808 0856171

More photos as the plants develop.

Have a good day.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
OH NO! My tallest Blue Cheese is a male!

View attachment 1269221
View attachment 1269224

The male sacks popped out overnight. It's already been cut down. Didn't find any developed sacks. This is one of 5 Blue Cheese feminized seeds that I bought from Grower's Choice Seeds. Price was $60 plus tax and shipping. Still have two seeds left.

I've read about taking male plants, extracting the plant juice and spraying it on female growing bud. It's supposed to increase yield and potency. My problem is I don't have a juice extractor press so that I only have the liquid to spray on the buds. Looking for any ideas on the best way to do this without having a roller press.

On the other hand, the outdoor Afghani that I planted has been producing buds like crazy.
View attachment 1269225
View attachment 1269226

More photos as the plants develop.

Have a good day.
Yes that's been my observation as well the biggest, strongest & fastest grower tend to be male.....Right from seed its sometimes possible to see what ones are most likely male....When I follow through and put a mark on suspected males, they'll usually end up males...I miss a bunch but some stand out.....I 've just grown a clone out for almost 3 months and its a male........I lost my tags on my last grows clones and I guess somewhere along the line I cloned off a male......I'm back to fem seeds only.

F

FreeTheWeeds

Photo update:

The Afghani the popped on 5/10:
Plant top
IMG 20220824 1125181

Stem closeup:
IMG 20220824 1125281

two buds up close:
IMG 20220824 1124551

IMG 20220824 1125051

The Blue Cheese and Granddaddy Purple, both taller than me. Just starting to show budding action:
IMG 20220824 1125421

Long shot of the Afghani:
IMG 20220824 1125561

Closeup of the Blue Cheese started early April indoors in my tent. As you can see, half the size of the same outdoor Blue Cheese, even th
ough it was planted a month earlier:
IMG 20220824 1126031

Last is the Afghani that was started a month before the outdoor Afghani. About 2/3's the height of the outdoor plant and 1/3 as bushy:
IMG 20220824 1126131

Closeup:
IMG 20220824 1126331

All the pots are rotated 1/4 turn per day so that they grow evenly all the way around. I water from the top only when adding nutrients. Bottom trays are kept full, usually have to fill two to three times a day. To prevent root rot and overwatering, each pot has about 2 - 3 inches of 3/4" gravel at the bottom before adding soil. This creates an oxygen layer for the roots and the rocks slowly wick the water up to the roots.

The only problem that I've had was a few burnt leaf tips from being a little overzealous with the nutrients. Keeping the pots on Styrofoam and on the graveled area of the yard has kept the plants pretty much bug free. To help with the bugs, I also placed a bird feeder about 20' away that the chickadees and sparrows love. They've been eating the bugs off my plants and using the water in the trays to drink and wash. It's a win-win situation for me, except for the random bird dropping that they leave on the leaves.

Have a good day.

F

FreeTheWeeds

Just a quick video update. My area is expecting a cold spell (Low 40's) in the evenings for several days. Hoping the cold will stress the plants and increase the trichomes before harvesting. I'm expecting another two to three weeks before considering harvesting.

Have a good day.

F

FreeTheWeeds

I had to harvest the Afghani. I found two spots of bud rot and didn't want to take any chances. Plant was 4 months and 5 days old. I really wanted to get another week of growth, but luck wasn't with me. Here's a few pics of the harvest hanging to dry. Over the next several days as the tops dry, I'll work on cleaning the buds of leaf.

IMG 20220915 175659

A few closeups:

IMG 20220915 175710

IMG 20220915 175723

Have a good day.

F

FreeTheWeeds

Here's what the root system looks like when using a 2-3 inch gravel bottom and watering from the bottom, keeping standing water in the water catch tray at all times. This is the outdoor Afghani that I had to harvest due to bud rot being found on one of the lower buds that was having trouble drying out after several days of rain and no sun. This plant was started as a seed in this pot and broke ground 5/10/22 and grew to be over 6' tall. Yield was about 6 - 7 oz.

This is after removing all the bud branches. The straw is on top to slow surface evaporation.

IMG 20220917 095218

Nice healthy roots. Looks like the roots really like having the gravel at the bottom. Provided an air space for the roots to pick up nutrients and oxygen.

IMG 20220917 095535

Here's what's left after removing all the gravel. I'll be cleaning the gravel and reuse it on the next planting.

IMG 20220917 095729

So, no root rot and the plant got as much water as it wanted. This is something that I remember my grandma did when I was a kid helping her with her plants and decided to give it a try since this was the first time I've planted in pots. Watering has always been my bane. Either over I overwatered or waited too long.

Another advantage of planting in the pot outside was that I was able to rotate the plants 1/4 turn each day so that they all grew nice and even all the way around.

Have a good day.

sambapati

sambapati

Here's what the root system looks like when using a 2-3 inch gravel bottom and watering from the bottom, keeping standing water in the water catch tray at all times. This is the outdoor Afghani that I had to harvest due to bud rot being found on one of the lower buds that was having trouble drying out after several days of rain and no sun. This plant was started as a seed in this pot and broke ground 5/10/22 and grew to be over 6' tall. Yield was about 6 - 7 oz.

This is after removing all the bud branches. The straw is on top to slow surface evaporation.

View attachment 1282900

Nice healthy roots. Looks like the roots really like having the gravel at the bottom. Provided an air space for the roots to pick up nutrients and oxygen.

View attachment 1282901

Here's what's left after removing all the gravel. I'll be cleaning the gravel and reuse it on the next planting.

View attachment 1282916

So, no root rot and the plant got as much water as it wanted. This is something that I remember my grandma did when I was a kid helping her with her plants and decided to give it a try since this was the first time I've planted in pots. Watering has always been my bane. Either over I overwatered or waited too long.

Another advantage of planting in the pot outside was that I was able to rotate the plants 1/4 turn each day so that they all grew nice and even all the way around.

Have a good day.
Good 2 C U banish your watering demons. Crushed pottery works also at the bottom, nice too.

Top Bottom