Indoor C02 setup help.

• Thread starter norcal
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

norcal

Hey guys, im back at THCFARMER to get some help. i choose this site because of the fast and knowledgeable information. I've been looking into getting a new Co2 setup. at first i was thinking generator becuase thats all i used at my job. but the hydro store recommends using a tank. i can get a 50 gal co2 tank for 260 from them and the regulator for 140. but i need a controller and thats where i get a little lost since i havent actually setup a co2 system, just ran it.

I have a dehumidifier and a window mounted A/C unit(not sure if i need to plug these into the controller considering the window a/c unit doesnt push air from inside to outside and neither does the dehumidifier). I do have air cooled hoods so i know i need to hook up my centrifugal fan. i really only need to hook up my Co2 tank/regulator, and centrifugal fan. if i need to i could also hook up the a/c unit, lights, and dehumidifier. just dont see a need to if its not necessary.

As you can see i am pretty confused about all this and if some1 could talk this out and give me some info i could be much clearer going ahead and buying this stuff. No rush on any of this ill be investing in about a month. all i know for sure is ill have to cycle my fan and co2 on and off. i have been looking into C.A.P controllers since i have liked all their other products i have used.

N

norcal

did i jinx it by saying responses are fast? i think ive pretty much figured out what im going to do. it looks like i need to buy a tank, co2 valve, co2 ppm monitor, and controller(for at least a fan, co2 valve and an option to hook a co2 ppm Monitor)

if i could ask 1 more question it would be about the sentinel controller/ppm sensor all in 1. it looks like their the only company making an all in 1 controller like this. other than that it looks like my best option would be buying a CAP co2 monitor and a controller separately.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
bro if you can handle the heat of a generator I say fuck the co2 cans

propane is so much cheaper and easier to get

i thought cap made a unit that did both

edit:

F

Farmer Jon

Premium Member
Supporter
Heya Norcal,
it seems to me you are asking what the best route is to add co2 to your room....
first things first you need to be able to hold the co2 in the room. So your a/c is gonna be your first problem, window a/c units are not best suited for use in a grow room and its going to be hard to keep the co2 ppm at a constant, you are going to go through more co2 than a 25-50 lb. tank can hold each week.
The way to go is a water cooled co2 gen. made by hydro innovations,(advanced makes a knock off as well) they have products made to keep the grow room cool. They also make a co2 controller to go with there gens, its really basic and just holds the ppm from 1300-1500
As far as lighting goes use your fan to push cool air from outside into the lamps and exiting in your attic. (assuming you have one)
you dont need a cap controller and a separate co2 controller either just the co2 controller 300 bucks if i remember right.
FJ

O

OZUT

How big is your room? If it's not too big, you may want to stick with a CO2.

You only need a CO2 cylinder, a regulator and the controller. If you want to get fancy, you could go with an all in one that will control your a/c, fans, co2 and dehumidifier like this one
http://www.discount-hydro.com/productdisp.php?pid=393&navid=30

Or you can go with just a CO2 controller. They range anywhere from $200 to $800 for a fuzzy logic one like this one

http://www.discount-hydro.com/productdisp.php?pid=321&navid=30

But if you're gonna spend $650 then you might as well spend $850 for the all in one....

N

norcal

my temps arent a problem i can keep a room with a dehumidifier, 2x600w hps, and 2 t5's at 77 when its 110 outside and 73 when its lower than 100. that is with my a/c running every so often. I've actually went to school to be a (Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning) Tech. so the temps arent my worries. also my room is air tight. window a/c units really dont transfer air from inside to out. the air out the back is air being pushed over the condenser that came from the outside. My room is 10X10x8. it doesnt seem like the gen setup is much different in price from a co2 tank. and price to fill is around the same price.... so if every1 is recommending that maybe its a better option. thanks farmer jon btw but i dont get why you think ill have problems with my a/c unit? are you saying this from experience?..

N

norcal

OZUT thats exactly what i was thinking. but maybe my room will be too big for that? i didnt think so? ive used a co2 generator before and having a water cooled co2 gen seemed like a bit much if i could just use a tank.. Does the co2 tanks go faster than a propane co2 gen?

N

norcal

motherlode- my hydro store refills the tanks 20 gal was 20 dollars. so thats not a problem... last time i filled a propane tank up it was 20 dollars. so sounds like there the same there. it really comes down to what lasts longer i would say. knowing i dont want a hose running to my gen i think id prefer a tank. cause that extra heat would suck... dehumidifier is enough for me. idk theres a lot of factors. between a tank and gen it really comes down to how fast each 1 burns. is 1 dramatically faster than the other? with controllers ill need 1.. plus is it necessary to have a ppm meter? or is it easy to set at a certain amount and run that consistently?

O

OZUT

For a room that big, you would need 2 tanks every 10 days or so. Figure the cost of filling a 10lb cylinder is $15 at airgas, you're looking at $30 every 10 days. You set it up to a timer to only pump CO2 during the light cycle, that will let you get a couple of more days out of it. let's say you run CO2 for a good 7 weeks, you're looking at about $150 per crop. If you have a perpetual harvest, you're looking at about $90 a month. I know that the burner's are safe and all, but the CO2 bottles just let me sleep better at night. Just my $.02

N

norcal

i like the way u convince. put the math right in front of me. i was telling my gf the other day id feel better wit a tank over having an open flame in my room. i can get a 50 lb tank for 250. is that a good deal? i was thinking bout a 20 but now u laid it down like that the 50 almost sounds worth it. the 20lb is 160 i believe. also 150 per crop is by far worth it plus what i pay for everything.

O

OZUT

It's really personal preference, but I would go with 2 small ones than 1 big one just because it's easier to handle. Imagine dragging a 50 lb tank to the store then having to drag a full 50lb tank back. Rather go with 2 small ones. Plus it doesn't really stick out.

Like I said, I know the propane ones are safe. I just sleep a lot better knowing I don't have a flame near a propane tank :)

Mine is a prepetual harvest and CO2 is always at 1,500. Costs me about $105 a month.

tortuga1503

tortuga1503

I would go w/ the small bottle 2. The big one is just a pain in the butt

B

Bobby Smith

Norcal, for a room that size a CO2 generator is your better call, trust me - you'll be filling up a propane tank once a month vs. a 20# CO2 tank two times a week.

I had three 20# tanks and was going through 1.5 per week, and that shit gets old, really, really fast - I know you're thinking right now "nah dude, I'll have no problem going to the hydro store (or welding supply store in my case) a few times a week", but then life happens and you really don't feel like it.

After getting tired of lugging tanks, I switched to a propane generator, and then I got tired of refilling that tank every few weeks, so I ran a natural gas line into my grow room and setup a watercooled generator - it's the tits.

FYI, I'm about as unhandy as they come and dumb as rocks to boot, but I have ZERO concern about either of my generators - they're safe bro, believe that - almost all have high temp shutoffs, tipover shutoffs, etc. - you'll be fine.

Also, I have the Sentinel CHHC-1 and it's the best thing I've ever bought - you plug in your AC, dehumidifier, and CO2 into it, set the day/night parameters you want and forget about it - for a little more than $500, you really can't beat it.

fractal

fractal

Using tanks is really a p.i.t.a. as bobby is saying without a half dozen tanks on hand refill trips get old fast. . . And also EVERY TIME I try to refill my shiny new tanks I bought they try and steal them from me. EVERY SINGLE TIME it is them trying to swap me out for a rusty steel tank. I don't get it, why shiny new tanks everybody wants to take them from you.

The prices you quoted for tanks are high, unless they are brand new aluminum tanks and come filled with gas. Most likely they want 260 for a steel tank that is used and you don't own the tank you just swap it out. That's not a very fair price. . . On aquarium sales sites you can get brand new aluminum tanks for $90 and $200, for a 20lb. versus 50 lb.

B

Bobby Smith

I got mine off of Craigslist, $125 for three tanks.

There's always welders or restaurants getting rid of their old soda machines, people selling kegerators, etc.

If buying a used one, make sure to check the last inspection/certification/whatever it's called date - they need to be checked every five years - two of the three I bought were fine, and the other had to be certified (they're not legally allowed to fill it if not) which ran me another $30 or something.

However, I'd highly discourage going the bottled route.

Top Bottom