Indoor Lighting Flowering Time Difference

• Thread starter Nukesrt
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Nukesrt

Nukesrt

Hello, not sure if this is stupid to ask and/or if there are already other threads (i searched before asking) but what happens if you use 14/10 instead of 12/12 ? does giving the plant more sleep help it develop faster? has anyone done this?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Hello, not sure if this is stupid to ask and/or if there are already other threads (i searched before asking) but what happens if you use 14/10 instead of 12/12 ? does giving the plant more sleep help it develop faster? has anyone done this?
Generally speaking once cannabis get over 10hrs of uninterrupted darkness it may start to flower. We typically do 12 to be sure there is no chance of it revegging. Basically the its the light preventing the plant from flowering so even if we have small exposure times of light throughout the dark period it won't flower or will reveg if its already started flowering.

Its regulated by phytochromes without getting in over my head. Pr is quickly converted to Pfr during the day and slowly converts back to Pr over the dark period. When this shift in compounds is leaning far enough to the Pr the plants starts to flower.

This isn't something I'm overly well versed in and should prob dig a little more into but thats my piss poor limited knowledge answer which hopefully is accurate.

Nukesrt

Nukesrt

Generally speaking once cannabis get over 10hrs of uninterrupted darkness it may start to flower. We typically do 12 to be sure there is no chance of it revegging. Basically the its the light preventing the plant from flowering so even if we have small exposure times of light throughout the dark period it won't flower or will reveg if its already started flowering.

Its regulated by phytochromes without getting in over my head. Pr is quickly converted to Pfr during the day and slowly converts back to Pr over the dark period. When this shift in compounds is leaning far enough to the Pr the plants starts to flower.

This isn't something I'm overly well versed in and should prob dig a little more into but thats my piss poor limited knowledge answer which hopefully is accurate.
understood, im just wondering if in last weeks or maybe even whole flower cycle if it makes a difference. ive read harvesting during their sleep is best so i assumed allowing them to sleep more would allow more production? not of fatter buds but thc or maybe even both.. im still new and learning.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

understood, im just wondering if in last weeks or maybe even whole flower cycle if it makes a difference. ive read harvesting during their sleep is best so i assumed allowing them to sleep more would allow more production? not of fatter buds but thc or maybe even both.. im still new and learning.
Are these autos because if so its completely different.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

no sir, regular
I would stick to 12/12 personally especially when starting out as there will be enough challenges to face. But for info purposed read up on DLI (daily light integral) our goal is to get that up while still giving an adequate dark period. So lights should be more intense for flower.

Nukesrt

Nukesrt

I would stick to 12/12 personally especially when starting out as there will be enough challenges to face. But for info purposed read up on DLI (daily light integral) our goal is to get that up while still giving an adequate dark period. So lights should be more intense for flower.
but does it make a difference

Nukesrt

Nukesrt

i used the calculator and got a 39.66 DLI , is there a chart with recommendation throughout its life?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

i used the calculator and got a 39.66 DLI , is there a chart with recommendation throughout its life?
I think its been shown up to and even past 60 DLI will show an increase in growth. Basically can be increased 2 ways.. 1. Higher intensity 2. Longer exposure

In Veg typically 18/6 we need lower intensity because we have longer exposure when we switch to flower typically we should increase it by 1/3 to make up for the lower exposure time. But photosynthetic rates are whats going to limit intensity. So any issues with the plants will lower thier maximum photosynthetic rates. Increasing Co2 will improve photosynthetic efficiency and rates. This is a very complex topic once you start getting into it a little deeper but basically every single thing we do from VPD to nutrient to light to well... everything can affect this.

If using a full spectrum light.. not blurple can use this as a rough guide.

Up to 10k lux seedlings and clones
15-45k lux for veg.
40-65k flower.

Always start at the low end and work up about 3-5k every few days to a week based on plant response.

You can download light meter by my mobile tools dev for free on android. Of course like I say some can push quite a bit higher but thats a decent rough guide.

Nukesrt

Nukesrt

I think its been shown up to and even past 60 DLI will show an increase in growth. Basically can be increased 2 ways.. 1. Higher intensity 2. Longer exposure

In Veg typically 18/6 we need lower intensity because we have longer exposure when we switch to flower typically we should increase it by 1/3 to make up for the lower exposure time. But photosynthetic rates are whats going to limit intensity. So any issues with the plants will lower thier maximum photosynthetic rates. Increasing Co2 will improve photosynthetic efficiency and rates. This is a very complex topic once you start getting into it a little deeper but basically every single thing we do from VPD to nutrient to light to well... everything can affect this.

If using a full spectrum light.. not blurple can use this as a rough guide.

Up to 10k lux seedlings and clones
15-45k lux for veg.
40-65k flower.

Always start at the low end and work up about 3-5k every few days to a week based on plant response.

You can download light meter by my mobile tools dev for free on android. Of course like I say some can push quite a bit higher but thats a decent rough guide.
thanks, got a lux meter and will be trying those numbers this grow 🤙🏼 currently at 40k

SSgrower

SSgrower

Don't go nuts, as Aquaman said growing this plant is hard enough to get to the chop when we have a good grow. Messing with what works is for later in your experience of growing this plant.

growsince79

growsince79

In nature, cannabis plants (excluding ruderalis) begin to flower in the late Summer and early Fall. When the days start to become shorter and the nights longer, flowering signals are triggered by photoperiodism, beginning the flowering process. The increasing hours of darkness signal to the plant that Fall is just around the corner. The female marijuana plant shifts its energy from vegetative growth into flowering, in order to attract pollen and produce seeds. Â By manipulating the hours of darkness, indoor and outdoor growers can delay flowering indefinitely or begin flowering whenever desired.
So why is it when grown 12-12 from seed, some plants start flowering in two weeks and others don't start flowering for 3-4 months.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

So why is it when grown 12-12 from seed, some plants start flowering in two weeks and others don't start flowering for 3-4 months.
Because a plant will not flower until its mature. Clones can flower right away. Probably the easiest way to tell is when the nodes just start to alternate. But these times can be anywhere from 2 - 6 weeks typically but some sativas can go quite some time

growsince79

growsince79

Because a plant will not flower until its mature. Clones can flower right away. Probably the easiest way to tell is when the nodes just start to alternate. But these times can be anywhere from 2 - 6 weeks typically but some sativas can go quite some time
My hybrids flower when they are 3 weeks old and have opposite leaves. I thinks there is stili a lot we don't know.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

My hybrids flower when they are 3 weeks old and have opposite leaves. I thinks there is stili a lot we don't know.
Watch that within a week the nodes alternate. Its very subtle at first.... maybe a 1/4" difference. If that for the forst couple.

I agree with ya that they probably mature before the nodes actually are visibly noticeable. But thats the first indication as far as I know that is visual

growsince79

growsince79

You removed all the offshoots. Yup looks like they are even but I cant see the actual nodes. Have some pics of bud onset?
There's a bunch in my pics. Not sure how to repost from my phone. But I can assure you they are opposite.

Top Bottom