Indoor Multi-purpous Composting System(s)

• Thread starter OfficialHaze
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
OfficialHaze

OfficialHaze

I haven een studying the various types and kinds of compost, composting methods, etc. In doing so I have had this developing idea to create a full spectrum indoor compost setup.

I have a soil recycling setup in my garage for used (indoor) organic soil. The next step I plan to take is putting in a vermi-composting system for fresh worm castings year round. This will also benefit the soil recoiling system. This as well as as a regular indoor composting bin, just like the ones used outdoor of course but in an indoor setting where the environment can be controlled or maintained at optimal conditions.

This three way setup should provide everything I need for organic substrate additions, nutritional additives, etc., year round. Along with this I have a fish tank that I use for fish emulsion and foliar sprays. I used completely distilled or RO water when I replace the water. It's a fresh water tank of course so no worries about salt content, (as I only add about one tsp of salt(s) per ten gallons), and this has worked great. From why I have read this water would also help if used in a composting and/or vermi-composting bin. providing extra moisture with this source will help keep down on extra water consumption (even if just a little bit) as well as add beneficial nutrients to the compost bin(s) of either type. Even when poured directly into the soil she recycling seems to give it an extra something when reused. I love this stuff, A LOT!

In combination with each other. I feel like I will have created everything needed to provide a consistent source of organic additives for my indoor garden. everything I need to keep my plant happy and healthy as well as minimize the money spend on such products, (which if added up is a pretty big figure).

Is there any kind of advice I could get, or progressive insight into this little venture would be awesome. Is there anything I could possibly add to make this a bit more useful or productive?

OrganicGanja

OrganicGanja

Live castings are a blessing. Worms Eat My Garbage. By Mary Applehof. Excellent book on getting a worm farm started and progressing. George Cervantes and Rev both boast about this book and its worth boasting about IMHO.

OfficialHaze

OfficialHaze

I actually am reading it now. haha Funny thats the book you mention. I scooped it about a week ago. It's pretty dope.

OrganicGanja

OrganicGanja

I actually am reading it now. haha Funny thats the book you mention. I scooped it about a week ago. It's pretty dope.
Ya man I had absolutely NO knowledge in worm farming when I scooped that book up and have had nothing but success with my bins, one thing I would stress on is the smaller you chop up your kitchen scraps the cleaner and less screening you will have to do when it comes time to use the castings in TLO soils. Not so much screening is necessary if your just gonna use it for brewing tea bags. Same with transferring 20-30% of there initial habitat into the next bin placed on top. I find it takes them twice as long to get all up into the second bin when not enough of there original enviroment has been placed into it. Live EWC with worms still living in it is not even comparable to old store bought shit with no real live mycrolife left in it.

juniorgrower

juniorgrower

Great post OG!! I have had a worm farm for over a year now and did not think to use their initial habitat into the new top bin. Makes sense though, thanks.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

''one thing I would stress on is the smaller you chop up your kitchen scraps the cleaner and less screening you will have to do when it comes time to use the casting''

I am finding this to be true with compost too!

OfficialHaze

OfficialHaze

Tell me is there a whole lot of sorting and seperating if you use a pre-made unit??

Do the added layers on the commercially sold worm bins make it easier to harvest your castings as the worms work themselves upwards? How many, (percentage wise), worms would you say stay in the bottom bin once the organic bedding & scraps, etc, have been decomposed enough for use in your garden?

OG, I finished the book. It also really gives you a great point to start reading the book "Teaming with Mocrobes". It gets into the very basic principles talked about or mentioned in the first few chapters. If you haven't read this one I think you'd really enjoy it.

OfficialHaze

OfficialHaze

I've also been seriously considering adding a fresh water tank about ten - twenty gallons. Run with RO water, a few gold fish and guppies, one tablespoon of aquarium salts per ten gallons of reverse osmosis (RO) water. You apparently can have a great source of microbial life in your water every time you replace the water or even just a bit of the water. Has anyone else tried this method, or ever implemented something along the same lines?

OrganicGanja

OrganicGanja

Teaming With Microbes by Jeff Lowenfels and Wayne Lewis is another good read on understanding how to keep your soil alive. The pre made stacking worm bins are made with many layers so once they have completely composted everything in the first bin you just place your second tray or home made rubber bin ontop of the first bin adding 20 to 30% of the initial habitat into second bin, replenish food waste with the 20-30% in second bin. Any remaining red wigglers in bin one will find the food in the second bin placed ontop and crawl up thru the holes too their new home with all there old friends. After a day or two there will only be very few worms remaining in the first bin they will have all made there way to the new food source leaving behind black gold. I have found tho the smaller you chop there food the finer and cleaner your castings will be. Fresh water is full of microlife. Re circulating aquaponics systems have always interested me also. Just love the idea of something from nothing, with the wattage of our wonderful sun and the power of raw organic fertilizers maybe a big trout pond shit the possibilities are endless.

Top Bottom