Indoor/Outdoor Desert Grow

• Thread starter MojaveMama
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

MojaveMama

I live in an impossible climate--Las Vegas, with hot sun, strong winds, single-digit humidity. All our trees and bushes are very narrow leafed for transpiration. Anything with a broad leaf burns up in a hot flash.

I've only been growing for a year, so I have much to learn. Yet, besides the basics of being a newbie to growing, I also have to be creative in utilizing the natural sunlight as much as possible, since I don't have adequate lighting. I only have fluoros--tons of T8's and 8 4' T5's.

It's also very hard for me to adjust the lights, because I'm a double leg amputee and work from a power wheelchair. Yes, trust me, I am saving up for good lighting--but food, medicine and medical bills are the first priority.

In the meantime, though, creativity seems to be working wonders. I take my plants outside in the morning in rolling garden carts, then bring them inside at night, after long and meticulous inspection to be sure I'm not bringing any bugs in at the same time.

To keep them outside, I have to wrap the pots in wet newspapers, and cover the soil with sun screen fabric.
Then, I set the pots in the cart with the cart bottom covered in gravel, and watered to add humidity.

In later spring, when temps hit 100 degrees, I can only keep them out in the sun until about 80 degrees, then put them under a shade tent I built. I then mist them hourly. By late morning, they have to come inside.

My question is about stress to plants from moving them so much. Does this seem too stressful, going in and out, going from natural sunlight to fluoro light?

Currently, I have 7 plants in the flower room, and they are on day 28 of 12/12 and day 20 of Flowering. Color is good, not showing any overt signs of stress, and so far, no hermies, but I realize it's early on yet.

Has anyone else done an inside-outside grow in this manner?

Strains in flower now: Purple Bud, Purple Frosting, Purple Kush, White WidowF2, Wizard, White Frosting.
Strains in seedlings: Aurora Indica, Wizard, White Dwarf Auto.

Cartoutsidejpg
Indooroutdoor desert grow 2
Z

zoeronerer

doin great girl... sorry to hear about your condition.... i have done it . whatever works for you is best . shouldent be 2 many bugs at this time of year in the desert b careful when spring comes . nice job stay safe

I

inbud

Looking good Mojave. I like the outdoor pic. The bud pic...well that is another matter, I LOVE that pic, makes me almost smell the resiny goodness. The pistles are so well defined, and the contrast from the "sugary" trichs to the dark green foilage is lovely.

I wont comment on your question tho....I think you are doing great too.

Nice strains you got growing.

U

ukgirl420

looking fab mojave ,,:D
that bud is mouthwatering :tongueout

I

inbud

Mojave stoppin by for some updates...

Hello UK, long time no see.

M

MojaveMama

UK and Inbud--wow, thanks so much for stopping by! I'm liking this grow even though I had a lot of males. The girls left are thriving. THe Aurora Indica babies have the BIGGEST leaves I've ever seen. They would last about 3 minutes outside in our desert heat before curling up and dying. But they are spectacular under the lights. I have dreams of vaping a nice bud later this year....

S

SUPERBABY

I picture you out in the middle of your desert surrounded by plants and sunshine:)

I applaud your working under tough enviornmental conditions... I'm sure it is a lot of work and requires more dedication than the average grower....

but hey...at least you can get a nice tan:)

Top Bottom