Indoor plants, outdoor finished? (Think grass finished cows)

• Thread starter TheWalkingPlant
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TheWalkingPlant

TheWalkingPlant

Hello farm,

Im trying to make some lemonade out of a fuckup.

Tldr: anyone grown plants indoor through stretch, then finished outdoor during heavy resin production and ripening? So like half indoor, half outdoor? I realize this

I accidentally messed with my timer and when I thought it was set to on, it was set to run, so it gave my plants 8-9 hours of dark after being in 24h veg for months. The previous week I have been giving them like an hour of dark every two days to get them to 18/6. Woke up to plants in the dark. Im thinking they may have flipped.

anyway; I don’t want you to keep moms from a flipped plant, I don’t have space to flower them all the way indoors atm, but I also don’t want to just turn them into off season outdoor plants.

my stony brain says that i could experiment with a process like they do with grass finished cows? Where they get the benifits of both worlds of conventional and grass fed, with the quality of grass fed fat, but with the yield of conventional? I don’t think I’d be getting good yields due to stretch indoor, but I’m thinking maybe the increase in light intensity / spectrum would actually give the plant an indoor look with an outdoor flavor / intensity?

I did something similar when I super hermed a kush mints when I grew under led for the first time. I finished it outside, but it ended up looking like an indoor plant.

I’m not trying to recreate the wheel or anything, I’m just trying to keep an open mind about potential hybrid growing styles since I live in a legal state, in a city with legal outdoor

Please feel free to poke holes in my plan, I’m here to learn. Thx all

Madbud

Madbud

Probably have to harden them in some partial shade before full sun.

TheWalkingPlant

TheWalkingPlant

Probably have to harden them in some partial shade before full sun.
Ya I have a pergola I usually harden them off with. I have recently been experimenting with that boundary tho. been taking plants from indoor 24h, then uppotting, giving partial sun for a a few days/ week, then putting them in full 9am-5pm direct sunlight, and it seems to have not stunted. Obviously strain dependent, but it seems that it had no problem with the adjustment (granted light intensity is lower atm). Here’s a pic of said plant, current state and when I first uppotted and put outside.

37D628E9 86A6 41E0 97A5 6BE6A7266AB3
Ponky

Ponky

Sunlight is the last thing you want touching your indoor weed. Sunlight. Don't really want my weed to even know what it is.

Narsbars

Narsbars

Hello farm,

Tldr: anyone grown plants indoor through stretch, then finished outdoor during heavy resin production and ripening? So like half indoor, half outdoor? I realize this

I accidentally messed with my timer and when I thought it was set to on, it was set to run, so it gave my plants 8-9 hours of dark after being in 24h veg for months. The previous week I have been giving them like an hour of dark every two days to get them to 18/6. Woke up to plants in the dark. Im thinking they may have flipped.

anyway; I don’t want you to keep moms from a flipped plant, I don’t have space to flower them all the way indoors atm, but I also don’t want to just turn them into off season outdoor plants.

my stony brain says that i could experiment with a process like they do with grass finished cows? Where they get the benifits of both worlds of conventional and grass fed, with the quality of grass fed fat, but with the yield of conventional? I don’t think I’d be getting good yields due to stretch indoor, but I’m thinking maybe the increase in light intensity / spectrum would actually give the plant an indoor look with an outdoor flavor / intensity?

I did something similar when I super hermed a kush mints when I grew under led for the first time. I finished it outside, but it ended up looking like an indoor plant.

I’m not trying to recreate the wheel or anything, I’m just trying to keep an open mind about potential hybrid growing styles since I live in a legal state, in a city with legal outdoor

I vegged a set of plants, 6, for three months in 5 gallon buckets and gave them to a friend of mine in June at about 20 inches, who put them on his deck. They turned into monsters, one type hugely tall Sativa, and the other type very Indica turned into a real jungle bush.

bamagrow5960

bamagrow5960

Hello farm,

bamagrow5960

bamagrow5960

Well Being a outdoor grower for a long time i have tried that.. Start indoors then put out either bud early and are small 5ft or don't bud out as good with less yeild .Never had one do anything like one started outdoors.To begin with.. Do one or the other it will save you some time.. And trouble

TSD

TSD

Well Being a outdoor grower for a long time i have tried that.. Start indoors then put out either bud early and are small 5ft or don't bud out as good with less yeild .Never had one do anything like one started outdoors.To begin with.. Do one or the other it will save you some time.. And trouble
I have to start indoors being in zone 4 or I couldn't grow outdoors. I sprout and veg for about 3 months, maybe 3 and a half... hardened off for a few hours every day for a couple weeks, fist shade, then early sun, then full sun. Most of my girls were 7 feet plus, my biggest lady yielded 2 and a quarter pounds, probably more because that count didn't include the larf. If I waited till May and started outdoors, I'd be lucky to get 2.5 ounces from a plant lol.

Narsbars

Narsbars

I have to start indoors being in zone 4 or I couldn't grow outdoors. I sprout and veg for about 3 months, maybe 3 and a half... hardened off for a few hours every day for a couple weeks, fist shade, then early sun, then full sun. Most of my girls were 7 feet plus, my biggest lady yielded 2 and a quarter pounds, probably more because that count didn't include the larf. If I waited till May and started outdoors, I'd be lucky to get 2.5 ounces from a plant lol.
So right. I live in Maine and the problem is the fall. The plants are huge but they want to finish at the end of October or even into November which is never going to happen outdoors here due to temperature and prolonged damp and cool. I have had multiple crops ruined by damp and cold caused mold. Next year I am swapping to Autoflowers and trying for two crops.

bamagrow5960

bamagrow5960

So right. I live in Maine and the problem is the fall. The plants are huge but they want to finish at the end of October or even into November which is never going to happen outdoors here due to temperature and prolonged damp and cool. I have had multiple crops ruined by damp and cold caused mold. Next year I am swapping to Autoflowers and trying for two crops.
I understand living up there..But me I have tried Auto I do not like it for OUTDOORS...I do know if there do good indoors..People i know.That do that are 50/50 slit if they like them.So pick well.Good Luck..Bama

Narsbars

Narsbars

I understand living up there..But me I have tried Auto I do not like it for OUTDOORS...I do know if there do good indoors..People i know.That do that are 50/50 slit if they like them.So pick well.Good Luck..Bama
I grew a few late last year. Plenty of terps, resin, and bud. Of course nothing like a healthy outdoor grow or even a long veg indoor grow, but fast. Now looking for some Feminized Durban Poison seeds.

TSD

TSD

Yeah, I always battle mold in fall, 2 came down very early and one needed like 3 more weeks, all could have gone another week or so honestly, but once the rot pops up, it's all over but the cryin, better early than moldy. I've debated getting a tent going, but I just love the experience and taste of outdoor. I'm a bit of a taste snob and there's just something special that the sun adds to develop all those smells and flavors... maybe it's imagined, but I've always preferred outdoor, even before I grew myself. Life sure would be easier if we were down a few zones though eh?

Madbud

Madbud

Start inside, wait til june to uppot and move out the females, start harvesting late sept til the mold and cats get the upper hand, wash everything, can’t beat sunlight trichs.

Reactions: TSD
bamagrow5960

bamagrow5960

I have tried countless times to do it here it just don't work.Don't develope full buds.or stunt plant..In ground by late April .Done End Sept.Long time Still got some in ground here. Seed Plants. Thanks Bama

TSD

TSD

I have tried countless times to do it here it just don't work.Don't develope full buds.or stunt plant..In ground by late April .Done End Sept.Long time Still got some in ground here. Seed Plants. Thanks Bama
Maybe April is too soon? I usually don't get mine out till mid May, and finish early to mid October... Maine is either parallel or more North than me. 🤷‍♀️

TheWalkingPlant

TheWalkingPlant

Sunlight is the last thing you want touching your indoor weed. Sunlight. Don't really want my weed to even know what it is.
Hey, sorry for the delayed response, all my notifications were buried under the 2021 oitdoor plant thread

Ya I don’t give my indoor plants sunlight, but I’m curious what your experience? Have you tried moving an outdoor plant indoor with poor results? Was the problem poor yield, Or something else? Was it grown out / cloned before flower once it was brought inside? I keep meaning to do it but end up just not

TheWalkingPlant

TheWalkingPlant

I vegged a set of plants, 6, for three months in 5 gallon buckets and gave them to a friend of mine in June at about 20 inches, who put them on his deck. They turned into monsters, one type hugely tall Sativa, and the other type very Indica turned into a real jungle bush.
Had you grown it before? Did they turn out any different than a previous outdoor run?

TheWalkingPlant

TheWalkingPlant

Thanks for the feedback. To clarify, are you saying you did this in the early season with the intention of just starting full term plants early? For my intent and purposes It’s beneficial that they will start / continue to flower upon being exposed to full sun. The reason I’m curious about starting the stretch indoor is because they seem to be able to take the jump in light intensity well during those first few weeks of flower. I could accept / would expect less yield than a full term outdoor plant. I plan on doing more of an indoor style grow where all buds see direct sun exposure anyway

I’m in SoCal, so I guess if I were to extrapolate my thought, it would be that I am looking for efficient ways for me to make the most of the off season. I vegged some indoor plants during the season that are now going outside, so I guess this thread is going to turn into more of a documentation than just asking questions.

TheWalkingPlant

TheWalkingPlant

Had some extra plants so I uppotted them into some used promix and placed the plants in the corner under the palm trees and next to the fence so they only get a few hours of morning sun exposure for now. The hope was that they start to acclimate and then by sometime in week two I’ll just have them in full sun. I have a bit of a hill so this time of year full sun is only like 6ish hours of direct light. It’s been Santa Ana or solar flare or some Shit because it was in the 80s all weekend. Hope they handled it ok. They werent in ideal shape by any stretch of the imagination, and I didn’t give them the best chances of a good life, but I think they’ll still be fine enough. All of the plants are apple fritter, except the black fabric pot is allegedly biscotti. I’m doubtful tho because It doesn’t look like my past biscotti and the place I got it is sus. I just put the seedling in because it looks like a tomato to me and I thought it was cool. The one in the grey fabric is the one I’m most curious to see how it turns out. I topped it and transplanted it and moved it outside all on the same day. I had some mold issues last af round even over summer time, so we’ll see how it goes. I realize i didn’t start them inside, but I figured acclimating / transitioning under shade is comparable?

7887B108 C95D 4A4D 9FF1 AEC6A7B98F99
3D3148A0 3CEA 49C8 8280 DB88DAC0D220
C2D48B2D EE15 46EB A8F9 0E30AAC15687
C58BC1A5 7084 4586 BC6D 1A48257D7EF9
9F68CA9D 0BB9 4F4F 8DFE 053BABBF536F
C59831DC 5B49 4CB6 89A0 853F0CD10E88
0902ED08 2ABF 4E9D 9E92 1A7EF7ADCC01
4D8218E2 02EA 4EDD 9D80 F52E411078DF
Top Bottom