Induction Abduction!

• Thread starter squarepusher
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
squarepusher

squarepusher

ok folks, doing my round 2 of induction lighting est. Round 1 was a big failure due to mishaps.

So we begin, and yesterday I was abducted by an Alien ship with the letters "PNC" on the side ... when I came to all I had was these 3 babies names "Aliendog.":very_first_smiley:

Lets begin the abductions, the system will eventually par up a 500W induction red, vs a 500w induction blue, vs a 600w HPS light each growing a single clone to compare the final results.

The first abduction:
Induction abduction

Induction abduction 2

Induction abduction 3

The abductors get a home
Induction abduction 4

Induction abduction 5

Induction abduction 6

Induction abduction 7

Induction abduction 8

Induction abduction 9

will keep posted...

N

noobest

whats the color temp of the red induction that you'll be using? just curious, cause the lowest i've seen is 3500k, just wondering if you gotta hold of something lower down on the spectrum. this should be fun/educational for all the Indoor fans out there, curious as to "the next big thing" on the market for artificial lighting. Is there a reason why LED panel(s) are not being compared in addition to the HPS? has that already been tested or?....
anyhow, my chair is pulled up front & center for this one.

G

Green-Girl

Hi Squarepusher!

We share something in common. I was browsing the threads and I saw that you picked up Alien Dog from PNC and I did the exact same thing last Saturday. G was really talking this strain up. I am trying to get my skills up to donate to the clubs and G said this was an awesome top shelf strain that would look really crystal-y. If I don't kill them, lol! (I have only been growing for about 3-4 months and taken a couple plants to harvest, so I am still at the newbie stage).

BTW, anyone reading this, PNC is awesome and G & Skylar are super knowledgeable so if you live anywhere close to Long Beach, I highly recommend paying a visit.

Anyways keep me posted on how they are doing and I will to the same with you! right now my stems are looking a little purply here and there but I think they're just adjusting to the new environment.

Feel free to PM me.

btw, I had never heard of those induction lamps. What are the pros over CFLs?

squarepusher

squarepusher

whats the color temp of the red induction that you'll be using? just curious, cause the lowest i've seen is 3500k, just wondering if you gotta hold of something lower down on the spectrum. this should be fun/educational for all the Indoor fans out there, curious as to "the next big thing" on the market for artificial lighting. Is there a reason why LED panel(s) are not being compared in addition to the HPS? has that already been tested or?....
anyhow, my chair is pulled up front & center for this one.

i think its 3500k

as for LED, LEDGirl I think is the expert on those, she has a forum and tons of testers, I think they can handle all the LED experiments.

yes, I hope everything goes well so we can get some results. Expected results that would make the induction worthwhile for me would be a 50% increase over the HPS at least.

Hi Squarepusher!

We share something in common. I was browsing the threads and I saw that you picked up Alien Dog from PNC and I did the exact same thing last Saturday. G was really talking this strain up. I am trying to get my skills up to donate to the clubs and G said this was an awesome top shelf strain that would look really crystal-y. If I don't kill them, lol! (I have only been growing for about 3-4 months and taken a couple plants to harvest, so I am still at the newbie stage).

BTW, anyone reading this, PNC is awesome and G & Skylar are super knowledgeable so if you live anywhere close to Long Beach, I highly recommend paying a visit.

Anyways keep me posted on how they are doing and I will to the same with you! right now my stems are looking a little purply here and there but I think they're just adjusting to the new environment.

Feel free to PM me.

btw, I had never heard of those induction lamps. What are the pros over CFLs?

Hi Green Girl

I am a new grower too, but done lots of homework. The Aliendog I think will be amazing if we don't mess it up. I was in the store for about 20 minutes trying to decide between Chemdog D, Aliendog, SSH or Blue Dream, and damn the Alien just came through as the most exciting strain.

The induction light is possibly more efficient than a HPS, which is what I am trialing. CFL's are pretty weak sauce, and usually only good for very early vegging (I am using them for my clones now). Induction would be a full flowering replacement for HPS that has a longer life and lower electricity usage (possibly).

My test here is to determine if that is really so. And also get some medz too, my clones are doing ok, they have new growth but one of them is looking weird. Its only been 3 days, I put them in 3" rockwool cubes and am now waiting for roots to pop out the bottom, I hope so tomorrow.

Best regards were in this together =]

G

Green-Girl

oh sweet, I didn't realize that the induction lights could replace hps in bloom. I am anxious to see how that works. I am having a terrible time keeping the heat down in my bloom room, not to mention nearly maxing out the electrical capacity of my tiny apartment. So I have been thinking about alternatives. LED is way too pricey and from what I've read can only be used for small SOG plants. I am so curious to see how induction does. Pulling my chair up :)

squarepusher

squarepusher

just switched to 600W Metal Halide today for vegging. They had some problems rooting over the past weeks, but finally getting some root mass i believe

im hanging single sheet mylar from the roof to get a "surround" type housing around the plants in my tent. Setup a fan to blow on the light as temps are in the mid 90's with the CO2 runoff from my water heater.

Hoping to flip in 2 weeks for a beginning of September harvest

IMG 0798

P

pacog

Square Pusher... Did you buy your lights or were they Donated for testing. Who's Light are you using? What are the Exact color temps?

I have only seen 1 Induction Grow finished and the results where Good, they averaged over 1 Gram per watt. Which is excellent Numbers by any standards.

I am curious to see how you do. I have been looking at this technology for a while now. But not ready to commit to the High price tag yet for something that has not been proven out yet. The science is there for sure.

Have you seen any of the new Plasma Lights that are coming out?

The Plants look like they are having a few issues? I see you room temps are 90 deg. Thats pretty hot man unless your CO2 levels are around 1500ppm. Is your light Vented? You need to get the temps down below 85 even with CO2. Also you dont really need the CO2 in Veg Stage. So I would try and get temps down as low as possible until the Plants are Super Healthy.

Whats the Rez temps? They should be 75 or below. Anything above and you are going to run into some serious Problems.

What Nutes are you using?

Are you using any Enzymes? If not look at getting some House and Garden Roots Excelurator supposed to be the best product on the market. I got some on the way.

P

pacog

oh sweet, I didn't realize that the induction lights could replace hps in bloom. I am anxious to see how that works. I am having a terrible time keeping the heat down in my bloom room, not to mention nearly maxing out the electrical capacity of my tiny apartment. So I have been thinking about alternatives. LED is way too pricey and from what I've read can only be used for small SOG plants. I am so curious to see how induction does. Pulling my chair up :)

Green Girl... Are you using a Vented Hood? If not look into getting one. Or some sort of Cool tube if doing Vertical. Will significantly drop the temps. Or add some sort of small AC.

Also if you are maxing out Electrical capacity you might want to look at running your lights on 220-240v you will be drawing half the amps of 120v.

P

pacog

Square... Thought of something else.

I see you are running some sort of LP aero.

How Often is the sprayer on?

Are you getting the entire Net Cup wet with the Spray? If so you could be Soaking the rockwool to much, which will Cause very slow grow. I know from experience.

G

Gro

sorry to here about the mishaps.hope this one goes well,i'm curious about the results.

squarepusher

squarepusher

ok, heres a reply finally. I just now setup my "MPB" like tent. Before they were just sitting in a custom aerotype cloner for the longest time, dealing with some heat issues. One of the plants took off, but the 2 other are going a lot slower I think because some heat/root issue.
I sweitched from the vegging "CFL's" to the induction light about 3 weeks ago. So far the results aren't too impressive, but it may be because of other conditions.

ac unit installed in tent
IMG 0796

inside view
IMG 0797

this is the old setup they were in, aerocloner type setup. Pretty bad growth in here, glad to finally transfer them out
IMG 0798

here is my new UC/MPB type setup. Custom made with a few tweaks.
IMG 0800

uniseals aren't installed yet, as you can see it goes in a series 3 buckets wide
IMG 0801

these buckets are the junction from plant bucket, to reservoir. Notice the drain is an elevated 2" PVC pipe, so it acts as an overflow from the 3 plant buckets. The water drains from right, to left through the top PVC pipe. (The bottom 1/2" Pvc I installed a valve on, and is only used open when draining all the buckets or filling.) The 1/2" pvc at the bottom you see goes to simply another reservoir bucket .
IMG 0802

then these 2 buckets here are the reservoir
IMG 0803

heres the tops drilled with 3" netpot hole ,
IMG 0812

and custom lid ala Jalisco Kid's description. These give a window for viewing the roots or doing work without lifting the buckets
IMG 0813

here is a final view of the entire bucket system. The 3 on the right are actual plant buckets. The far 2 in the top left are reservoir buckets.
IMG 0798

IMG 0799
squarepusher

squarepusher

continued

buckets with lightproof tarp
IMG 0814

covering so light doesn't get in the tops
IMG 0815

a picture of the OLD setup
IMG 0818

a picture of a bucket with lid, and airtubes installed
IMG 0819

here is the reservoir as you can see a pump with 3/4" poly tube coming out that runs to the farthest away pant bucket for water flow. Also, you can barely see the shutoff valuve on the bottom 1/2" pvc. You can get an idea how the res sits outside the tent, and the 2" PVC overflows into it from inside the tent.
IMG 0820

and some pictures with the plants in their homes
IMG 0822

finally in their homes
IMG 0823

There you have it. I am not sure if I will be able to isolate different lights in this rather small space, since the AC unit may not be able to circulate the air all over if I install dividers to partially block light. So, in this case we may not be able to see a good idea of "this light does this," the results may be more blended, since I will be mixing induction lights with 600w HPS's since I need to have a sizable harvest since I have so much money invested in right now. What I may do is put each induction (6000k and 3000k) over a plant each, and then leave the 3rd plant with only 600W hps. This may get a "general idea" on which plant grows well.

However, 2 of the plants are similar size now, and the 3rd is a LOT bigger. I am not sure if I want to cut the big plant (probably not) to get an equal starting line.

squarepusher

squarepusher

Square... Thought of something else.

I see you are running some sort of LP aero.

How Often is the sprayer on?

Are you getting the entire Net Cup wet with the Spray? If so you could be Soaking the rockwool to much, which will Cause very slow grow. I know from experience.

actually, this was happening exactly I think. What would you recommend for this? The rockwool was ending up being soaked, I got a recycle timer and did 50 sec on, 19 minutes off since the rockwool would hold so much water, I found it could just drip down the roots and I wouldnt need to spray so often. But even then the rockwool was still 'wet' from the tops.

squarepusher

squarepusher

ok, wanted to give everyone an update who has been following. I blew my 4th ballast in a few months time. I am calling it on these lights. I don't think the technology is there yet, while the ballasts were working, I wasn't overly impressed with what I was seeing either.

So, for now I think the technology is too buggy to be worthwhile. At least one of my plants survived, and I will be transferring it to HPS and post completed results here.

C

calbunn

I have a 30 x 30 tent that I veg with a single 100 watt induction lamp and turn on a second one for flower/bud. The light penetration to the lower leaves is far better then the LED or CFL's that I've tried so my -kush- yield falls in the 300 grams p/m range.

I've been very happy with these lights. They produce very little heat, are less then 1/2 the watts of the HID combination's I was using, I'm not changing lamps every 6 months, and the spectrum peaks in the 300 and 700 nanometer ranges.

There's a good video on you tube; indagro that goes into the technology a bit but if you want to compare lumen output and PAR ck out their website on the bottom tabs. Go Big!

C

calbunn

I've been using one 100 watt induction grow light for veg and adding a second one for flower as my primary lighting now for two grows. This is being done in a 30 x 30 tent. You can see pictures of some grows on their website and there's a good video on you tube; indagro

They are the real deal. In fact NASA, after a lot of testing different types of fixtures and lamps, has recently stated that they will be using induction grow lights on the moon when it's colonized because the energy-color-yield is better then any other light they've sampled for this project.

Tesla lives on!

squarepusher

squarepusher

I have a 30 x 30 tent that I veg with a single 100 watt induction lamp and turn on a second one for flower/bud. The light penetration to the lower leaves is far better then the LED or CFL's that I've tried so my -kush- yield falls in the 300 grams p/m range.

I've been very happy with these lights. They produce very little heat, are less then 1/2 the watts of the HID combination's I was using, I'm not changing lamps every 6 months, and the spectrum peaks in the 300 and 700 nanometer ranges.

There's a good video on you tube; indagro that goes into the technology a bit but if you want to compare lumen output and PAR ck out their website on the bottom tabs. Go Big!

wow 3gpw. thats really good.

Dees Nuts

Dees Nuts

Pro 100 PAR
$480.00 wow !

you can get reto-kit's for about $1 a watt. look at my grow with 5-300watt bulbs. 2@6500K & 3@2700K. :)

Top Bottom