Induction Super Grow Light 300W = 1000W HID?

• Thread starter squarepusher
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

theFalcon

soso ...

ok all i have used these lights -
i got one from a dispensary in Tacoma(for now i wont say where). let me say 1st off its very promising ...
BUT i DO NOT believe they live up to their promise - they do not have the penetration necessary to really form great buds. they wil produce a good bud with hi THC but not alot - i think it would be prohibitively expensive as you would need to have them side by side and do a SCROG set up to get it to work.
as far as veg goes it works real good and is definitely a good way to go. i recommend looking online as you can buy JUST the ballast and bulb and put it in a hood meant for a HID light - their hoods suck balls anyway // a 300w bulb and ballast will only run around $250-
a 200 w is good for around 3x3 foot space - a 300w = 4x4 = if u try to use in a bigger space it wont be enough. i have done 1 complete cycle withthem and after i went and got a 600 HPS because it wasnt enough to get real nice dense flowers. i had 2 x 200w induction bi spectrum lights and the buds were ok ( i am picky) but not great and a lo yield. then i decided to try 1 of the 300's along with them to see what would happen .. it still didnt meet my expectations and thats in a 5 x 3 ft space... .... one 100w HID would do that nicely ... and when i tried to return the 300 w light (after 2 wks) to the dispensary i got it from in Tacoma i was told no way Jose .... he would not even take it back for $200- less than i gave him after 2 weeks!!!! i am rather pissed cause i see the same ballasts and bulb without the hood for sale on the net for $400- less...

so heres a break down :
1- buy cheap online (bulb and ballast and supply your own hood) or from someone who let you return it if you dont like it.
2- they are good for Veg - hands down - see pics
3- if stacked side by side you could get some good flowers with a SCROG method-
in veg room they do well - in the flower pic this is around 3.5 weeks of flower around 1o days ago i put a HPS around the corner from it and the same strain at the same age is doing MUCH better . as you can see this isnt a bad bud but its small for its age to me... i will add a pic of bud under HPS for comparison (granted the plant is a slightly different pheno and not as aggressive)
good luck to all and be careful where you get your lumens ~!!!
4-

i would highly recommend you be careful where you get these lights as i tried returning one to the dispensary i got one from

IMG 0113
LexLuthor

LexLuthor

wuts up falcon, I mos def think HID's are alot better just judging by ur pics. I've seen a plant the same size in 3.5 weeks veg under a 600w HPS. Earlier in this post someone said something about using LED's to supplement the Induction light during flowering, so they can't be that good if they need help from LED's. I rather stick with HID' the yield is better and have far better light penetration. The only negative thing about HID's is the heat emmited, but an A/C unit takes care of that.

chazbolin

chazbolin

soso ...

ok all i have used these lights -
i got one from a dispensary in Tacoma(for now i wont say where). let me say 1st off its very promising ...
BUT i DO NOT believe they live up to their promise - they do not have the penetration necessary to really form great buds. they wil produce a good bud with hi THC but not alot - i think it would be prohibitively expensive as you would need to have them side by side and do a SCROG set up to get it to work.
as far as veg goes it works real good and is definitely a good way to go. i recommend looking online as you can buy JUST the ballast and bulb and put it in a hood meant for a HID light - their hoods suck balls anyway // a 300w bulb and ballast will only run around $250-
a 200 w is good for around 3x3 foot space - a 300w = 4x4 = if u try to use in a bigger space it wont be enough. i have done 1 complete cycle withthem and after i went and got a 600 HPS because it wasnt enough to get real nice dense flowers. i had 2 x 200w induction bi spectrum lights and the buds were ok ( i am picky) but not great and a lo yield. then i decided to try 1 of the 300's along with them to see what would happen .. it still didnt meet my expectations and thats in a 5 x 3 ft space... .... one 100w HID would do that nicely ... and when i tried to return the 300 w light (after 2 wks) to the dispensary i got it from in Tacoma i was told no way Jose .... he would not even take it back for $200- less than i gave him after 2 weeks!!!! i am rather pissed cause i see the same ballasts and bulb without the hood for sale on the net for $400- less...

so heres a break down :
1- buy cheap online (bulb and ballast and supply your own hood) or from someone who let you return it if you dont like it.
2- they are good for Veg - hands down - see pics
3- if stacked side by side you could get some good flowers with a SCROG method-
in veg room they do well - in the flower pic this is around 3.5 weeks of flower around 1o days ago i put a HPS around the corner from it and the same strain at the same age is doing MUCH better . as you can see this isnt a bad bud but its small for its age to me... i will add a pic of bud under HPS for comparison (granted the plant is a slightly different pheno and not as aggressive)
good luck to all and be careful where you get your lumens ~!!!
4-

i would highly recommend you be careful where you get these lights as i tried returning one to the dispensary i got one from

Thought I'd toss in a few observations here before you make any final conclusions.

From the looks of the fixture you used it was a low bay style of circular induction which tends to be in the 200-300 watt range and probably a tri-phosphor blend of phosphors at that. So the uMole readings at the canopy would in all likelihood been in the <200 uMole range which is about 1/3 of what I typically see out of the 400 or 420 watt rectangular style lamps that I use which emit 90%UV-100%Caratenoid-80%R/IR/FR. So for the purposes of wide spectrum and canopy penetration I tend to let the canopy get within a foot of the lamp from week 8 on to finish since they do run so cool and this lets me average in the neighborhood of 600 uMole PPFD.

From my personal experiences with induction lighting the rectangular lamp is more efficient in getting the energy that is usually lost energy between the circular glass as the photons bang against each other or get absorbed by a poor quality reflector that does not optimize the energy leaving the light and making it to the canopy. Not all lights are equal and that is especially true when it comes to plant lighting as I consistently see yields over 1 g/w with my current setup which includes 8 of the 420's which I use from veg-bud and I'm starting to play with some 725 nm LED panels to see if I can shorten phytochrome switching with a very low wattage (9 watts total) influence in this spectrum.

I'm keeping an open mind but I'm not sure the supplemental LED @ 725nm will make much of a difference though since the 420 phospors already emit a 730nm peak. But if a narrow low wattage LED bandwidth takes the phytochrome switch down to 15 minutes instead of the usual two hours then I'll be looking at even better flowering then I currently have. So what I'm just starting this week is turning off the 420's at 12 hours like normal and I'm taking one of my flowering plants and testing this out with just 10 minutes of a 725nm LED and see if at final harvest it has made any difference whatsoever in yield. I'll post up what I find in about 6 weeks.

pistone1971

pistone1971

Curious as to how much energy you saved from your previous setups?

Also has anyone tried these lamps for vertical lights and if so how did they do?

thanks

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Damn, after reading what chazbolin said I really dont know shit bout induction lights lol. Good info chaz!!

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Those induction lights look like there doin a great job I'm gonna have to do some research on them, maybe even buy one next year.

ImStoned

ImStoned

personally, the longer you wait to purchase an Inda-Gro light the longer you will be paying more for produce electrically! Oh and with less resin. My electric bill usually ran 350-375 per month using a 600 watt, now my bill is 168.87 using a 420 par. Now everyone is happy, the "girls" and myself, only one mad is S.D.G.&E...did I mention...10 years of hassle free lighting with/warranty! Bulb and Driver weighs about 20 lbs

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

personally, the longer you wait to purchase an Inda-Gro light the longer you will be paying more for produce electrically! Oh and with less resin. My electric bill usually ran 350-375 per month using a 600 watt, now my bill is 168.87 using a 420 par. Now everyone is happy, the "girls" and myself, only one mad is S.D.G.&E...did I mention...10 years of hassle free lighting with/warranty! Bulb and Driver weighs about 20 lbs

I dont know why you were paying over $350 with one 600w HID then it dropped to $168 with the 420w par because with my 600w HID my electric bill went from $50/month in the winter (I don't pay for gas heat) to $90/month with the light on and a 5000 btu window A/C. So your bill dropping by about $200 from using one 600w HID just doesn't sound right, bro.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I am NOT saying the 600 HID is better than the 420 par, all I am saying is it's hard to believe your electric bill is around $200 more with only one 600w HID.

chazbolin

chazbolin

1. gawd... i was just at the local hydro shop getting some drip pans and other incidentals and one of my guys there was so hyped that he had just finished loading up a new customer's order... a full room of 18 1000w HPS and all of the accompanying boxes and controllers, high voltage timers, and oh ya, air conditioners... i could only imagine how much that customer had spent... <shudder> then i pondered the minimum 36 bulbs ($150 each means $5400 a year) that he's now going to be buying annually. <shudder again>

perhaps that is the reason why:
    a) my friend there said "i need to sell more rooms like that", and also
    b) why he has told me that their store refuses to look at bringing Inda-Gro lamps in. it's the return bulb sales, baby!

but... he is very interested in my input on Inda-Gro lamps for his own personal grow. i showed him my recent round of pics and his eyes popped. then i told him that the durban is only half way there (i plan on taking her a full 70 days)... all i can say was that his reaction was good stuff.

i wish that you HID addicts would just slow your entrenched way of thinking a little bit and analyze your expenses on paper compared to running Inda-Gro. that one custie could have bought 6-7 (i'm sure Darryl would give a bulk discount) for the same loot he will be dropping on one years worth of bulbs. 7 420-PARs clocks in at 2940 watts. he could even have taken the money spent on the AC units and all the HID accessories and gotten more 420-PARs. i figure that he dropped a solid enough coin today that he would have been able to get all 18 lamps from Inda-Gro and been laughing at the rest of you non-believers for the next decade as he saves that $5400 annually and also pays the electric company approximately 40% of what he will be paying with those glorified street lamps.

oh ya, and he'd be growing better herb. faster.​

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

1. gawd... i was just at the local hydro shop getting some drip pans and other incidentals and one of my guys there was so hyped that he had just finished loading up a new customer's order... a full room of 18 1000w HPS and all of the accompanying boxes and controllers, high voltage timers, and oh ya, air conditioners... i could only imagine how much that customer had spent... <shudder> then i pondered the minimum 36 bulbs ($150 each means $5400 a year) that he's now going to be buying annually. <shudder again>

perhaps that is the reason why:
    a) my friend there said "i need to sell more rooms like that", and also
    b) why he has told me that their store refuses to look at bringing Inda-Gro lamps in. it's the return bulb sales, baby!

but... he is very interested in my input on Inda-Gro lamps for his own personal grow. i showed him my recent round of pics and his eyes popped. then i told him that the durban is only half way there (i plan on taking her a full 70 days)... all i can say was that his reaction was good stuff.

i wish that you HID addicts would just slow your entrenched way of thinking a little bit and analyze your expenses on paper compared to running Inda-Gro. that one custie could have bought 6-7 (i'm sure Darryl would give a bulk discount) for the same loot he will be dropping on one years worth of bulbs. 7 420-PARs clocks in at 2940 watts. he could even have taken the money spent on the AC units and all the HID accessories and gotten more 420-PARs. i figure that he dropped a solid enough coin today that he would have been able to get all 18 lamps from Inda-Gro and been laughing at the rest of you non-believers for the next decade as he saves that $5400 annually and also pays the electric company approximately 40% of what he will be paying with those glorified street lamps.

oh ya, and he'd be growing better herb. faster.

hmmm......this post looks familier, you said the same thing on another thread. You should stop using "copy & paste", it's so obvious.

Onee

Onee

scrog is perfect for this light.
People, it is about spectrum/PAR and intensity/micromole-lumens.
Any light will work if it has the spectrum and proper heat ventilation, induction is no different.
It allows for the manufacturer to actually dial in the colors you want with the phosphors that are added. Here in Colorado we use all kinds of tech on an industrial level...ya heard; and, we definitely use induction to flower.
I am writing this at the end of 2016, but these lights have worked for a 124 years or so.
simply lookup the spectrum chart of ANY light to see if it produces in the spectrum you want. these lights are far superior in multiple ways when compared to hid. HID is the last option i would use and so it is with many of my industrial partners. we get higher color rendering index, any spectrum you want, I use 2700k because it peaks where it is needed.
And, those who see my buds blame the high level of crystals on them, and that is partly true. total environment is why, but these lights produce enough UV to juice the THC production. watt for watt, this may be the best thing on the market.
Don't get the multi colored or higher spectrum temperature unless you want to waste your money, as several 6500k florescent twist bulbs work perfectly.
Truth be told, FLORESCENT IS SUPERIOR when all factors are considered.
I recommend scrog with the light, but its penetration at 400 watts is better than the rest, so it can be used in any grow configuration including unmodified natural growth, inner trimming always recommended.
there are many ways to use these lights but facing downward with a hood will give greatest penetration. but, check out this way of growing. one fan, four lights and one light turns off every 15 minutes. half to full elbo per plant. This is my creation called the 'induction row grow' it produces at least several pounds every harvest, excellent smoke and USES ONLY 1200 WATTS AT A TIME.

IMAG0048
Last edited:
Top Bottom