Inexpensive Home Extractor

• Thread starter Imthedudeman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
I

Imthedudeman

Quick question only informed people with personal expirence need answer.. just got into making oil. I buy concentrate but belive I could make cheaper,better,higher yields. Using an extra tin fluid with concentrate but think buying an at home machine to process 1/2 oz at a time to make oil for my cartridges. Any help pinting to which machine under 500-750. Read about Levo and some others. Not impressed. Just looking for honest point in right direction. Thanks in advanced for any help and wisdom. Peace,Love,and Puff-Puff Pass!!!

Graywolf

Graywolf

In that budget, I recommend that you consider QWET and spend the money on a vacuum chamber. Ethanol is a GRAS Class III solvent, with <5000 ppm FDA residual solvent standards for pharmaceuticals, but as ya'll know, it is found in significantly higher doses than that in beverages.

Not enough for CLS BHO extraction and finishing. I recommend closed loop LPG systems for safety reasons, and that it allows you to remove the Mystery Oil from the LPG before using it for extraction.

I

Imthedudeman

In that budget, I recommend that you consider QWET and spend the money on a vacuum chamber. Ethanol is a GRAS Class III solvent, with <5000 ppm FDA residual solvent standards for pharmaceuticals, but as ya'll know, it is found in significantly higher doses than that in beverages.

Not enough for CLS BHO extraction and finishing. I recommend closed loop LPG systems for safety reasons, and that it allows you to remove the Mystery Oil from the LPG before using it for extraction.

First thanks for response. I wanted to say 1-2 not 1/2 oz. like I said appreciate the response but that was jibberish to me as my knowledge is absolutely no where near to that. I saw a machine like that butter mug or lure. They just look cheap so if you get a chance or have another minute maybe break it down again or provide a website or supplier where to buy a system. Thanks again!!!

P

progeny-prodigy

look up "the source" its just a vacuum purging thingy but idk what else would work for u. u could get a rosin press but that wont work for cartridges.

Graywolf

Graywolf

First thanks for response. I wanted to say 1-2 not 1/2 oz. like I said appreciate the response but that was jibberish to me as my knowledge is absolutely no where near to that. I saw a machine like that butter mug or lure. They just look cheap so if you get a chance or have another minute maybe break it down again or provide a website or supplier where to buy a system. Thanks again!!!
You're welcome, and my best suggestion if you want to make good concentrates and stay out of trouble, is to familiarize yourself with the gibberish and forget making concentrates until you understand not only what button to push, but what to look for and what to do based on what you see.

QWET or Quick Wash Ethanol is the process that I suggest even at 2 ounces. The extraction part of the process requires low temperatures and paying close attention to what is going on, but you can use something like the ISO-3, or the Extract Craft Turbo after extraction to recover the Everclear 190 proof used to extract, without paying close attention.

You can just ignore the FDA GRAS gibberish and just take my word for it. Since I'm not recommending Closed Loop System BHO at your budget, you can ignore that gibberish as well. That process also takes even closer attention to what is going on to stay safe.

I suggest that you also do further research on purging and finishing, so that you better understand why I suggest that you spend your money on a vacuum chamber system. The QWET process requires no fancy equipment, leaving alcohol recovery and finishing the place to invest.

Cyclopath

Cyclopath

what he ^^^^^ said!

QWISO to start, then QWET once you've figured out how to recover solvent.

I've made beautiful shatter via QWET with >5lb input.

At the 1-2oz scale, I usually recommend a press pot (stainless steel so you can put it in the freezer) for getting the solvent off the cannabis as rapidly as possible.

Gray Wolf didn't point you at skunkpharm, so I will.

RCfarmer

RCfarmer

Why not stay with iso? It's super cheap. As with ethanol you purge and you're good to go.

Cyclopath

Cyclopath

Why not stay with iso? It's super cheap. As with ethanol you purge and you're good to go.

perception of toxicity on the consumers part. if you're not selling it, then it's personal preference. You can just drink the tincture without purging if you use EtOH. Leaving some of the solvent in makes it easier to work with when making edibles. Not willing to add Iso to my gummies...

My marketing folks report that "made with pure Organic Alcohol" sells better...

RCfarmer

RCfarmer

If it's for retail then I see the need to produce a desirable product that has a reputation of being safe and clean for consumption. I'm still learning about extraction methods but it makes sense to me to use the QWISO method because iso is so cheap and in the end we cook it off. Wiki says under Solvent, "Isopropyl alcohol dissolves a wide range of non-polar compounds. It also evaporates quickly, leaves nearly zero oil traces, compared to ethanol, and is relatively non-toxic, compared to alternative solvents. Thus, it is used widely as a solvent and as a cleaning fluid, especially for dissolving oils." Actually I just realized this is pertaining to it's use in cleaning, not as a solvent used for extracting oil to be consumed. Still, the end result smells nothing like iso. No hint of iso.

Cyclopath

Cyclopath

The extraction profiles are going to be slightly different, and Two.bears has repeatably stated that Iso gives higher yield than "everclear".

I personally didn't notice a yield hit when I switched to ethanol, but I don't claim to have been paying all that much attention. I was making meds (CBD) for kids, and their parents were more comfortable with Ethanol than Isopropanol. So I learned to recover the solvent to keep costs down. Every penny counts when you're giving the stuff away. :-)

It is possible Two.bears results where generated in a state where the "Everclear" available in the store is only 150ish proof. That might also explain the taste difference they note as well (more water-solubles will come along for the ride if there is 25% water in your solvent).

Latest posts

Top Bottom