Infestation. Culprit: Caterpillars

• Thread starter supasticky
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

supasticky

I was just recently attacked and destroyed by infamous moths! I don't know what kind, but I do know that the caterpillars had long black stripes on it and was green. I've used Neem oil at least once a week from seed all through veg. and into the 2nd week of flowering and yet they didn't seem bothered? Anyway, I lost my harvest; six plants total. I am a medicinal marijuana patient and only smoke on medical grade marijuana, so their was no use. The caterpillars infest and leave droppings on the buds almost every step they go(which is actually an easier way to spot them. if you see small brown circular poops the little caterpillar is sure to be close by). I have the money to buy my medicine, I just fell in love with growing. It was, and for a long time will be, the most devastating plant experience I've encountered. My buds had just started to finish the ripening stages and with my blue and pink garden, I almost couldn't look out of my window, which I looked through every morning, because I knew my plants would not be there anymore. Basically this posting is to tell all Northern California outdoor growers to heed my warning, "They're out their, and they're hungry!" (lol) Try pulling the buds sideways a little and spread the buds out to see between them and check DAILY. Also, what can I do to prevent this in the future? What should I look for when I'm trying to stop an infestation before it starts? What do eggs look like/ how large are they and how long do they take to hatch? All information is much appreciated.

-Supa

G

grodankushman

every year i think i escaped them then BAM thousands. i tell ya bud rot is so disheartening when you are trimming and a big black bud just falls away... freakin caterpillars...

much love and luck on your future attempts!:damnhippie:

M

Medic

Neem dont do shit. Just gotta get your fingers and smash em. Ill lose a third of the crops this year. Its only me and a bro and there are lots of 8 foot plants. we wont find all of them.

The buds that dont look infested are were the mothers are lurking at times. the fat ones getting ready to feast on your shit when in your in bed stoned to the bone with bliss gathering eye boogies all night.. Look through the finest colas that look healthy. Itll be a shame to wake up the next morning to see its early early harvest colors on that just one bud and have a good one incher in there. My bro got so pissed hes been eating them. lol

Just a word to the wise from your friendly neighborhood medic.

S

supasticky

i had a 7 footer. the whole plant was purple, the WHOLE plant. not just the buds and leaves but even the stock was all purple, it was crazy. it had a cola that had to have been like 2 feet, and it was totally infested with caterpillars. it was my fault though, i had to move them inside for a few days for security reasons and the moths just came through and messed my whole grow up. Does anyone know how long it takes for the moths to lay eggs and then for the eggs to hatch? overnight or does it take a while?

G

grodankushman

i thought it took a while... im assuming they are gone and we are just dealing with the spawn now... am i wrong??? tried some new stuff on it that is supposed to work and be safe up to harvest. will let yall know. killed a big mother effer today that chomped a big part of big beautiful wonderful donkey dick sized *aighhh* ill stop ranting. i hope this shizz works, these guys teh lose.

gk:damnhippie:

S

supasticky

S6304816

J

Joetattoo215

Have you tried praying mantis eggs. Most will take off once hatched. but a few should keep the worms at bay.

J

Joetattoo215

found this on google
Amazing Caterpillar Parasites (Trichogramma species) control over 200 species of Caterpillars, making them the most popular bio-control in the world. They're so tiny (1/50 of an inch from wingtip to wingtip) you probably won't even see them. They work by laying their eggs inside moth or butterfly eggs so that, instead of a new generation of caterpillars, another parasite generation hatches out and goes on to repeat the cycle.

R

robeartobrenton

this was why i switched to Aero - the moths cant lay eggs in your aero nft gutters!!

water as a medium! --- no where to lay eggs anywhere!

S

supasticky

They actually laid eggs in the buds...it was horrible.

-Supa

S

Skywalkin420

wrap copper wire around the stalk and base of your plants i tryed this out and it kept alot off. they seem to love fruity and sweet smelling strains those little bastards. hate the heavy indicas tho lol. i used this method outdoors last season and it worked very well the copper wire has an electrical charge that kills the caterpilars

S

Skywalkin420

little bastards are still coming tho i will haveto try something else i have sprouted 400 praying mantis eggs so hopefully they will be hatching soon put em out a month ago or so, my light dep only has one plant that they are messing with skywalker og, and that one takes the longest out of all of em in there, day 50 and these fuckers have now taken off about 5 budsites, im thinking of just choppin her early to save the struggle

D

dmc65

this has been my only problem outdoors. daily inspection with sharp tweazers is a must. i usually put my findings in the nearest ant hill and watch them squirm.
look for the eggs stuck to leaves and bud. they are off white tiny balls about the size of a grain of sand. they pop when squeezed with tweazers
you wont get all the eggs so spray every 5-7 days with BT
i'm looking into preventative right now because i cant take this shit anymore
do a search for tulle. it's basically a thin veil used for wedding veils and can be used to cover plants while letting light thru
i also found this site that sells insect barriers for plants with 92% light transmission. it looks like synthetic spider webs.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Why don't you just foliar weekly or bi-weekly with a good Bt spray? I got mine from Lowe's, and our local Lowe's doesn't carry much at all, gotta order most stuff.

B

bicycle racer

spinosad sprayed weekly after flowers begin to develop or bt both are organic and safe only way.

Top Bottom