Infrared from security camera

• Thread starter L33thal
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

L33thal

Hi all,

My first post so go easy on me.

Will the infrared lights on my security camera affect my plants when they are heading?

I am worried it will stuff up the 12 hour period. I use it to check the temp and see if my extraction fan is still working.

Cheers

nebulius

nebulius

I believe green light is the only light that doesn't interfere during the dark period. Some farmers use a green light as a work light so they can work in the room in the dark period without effecting plants.

Not sure on infrared, but my guess would be that it would cause issues being on during the dark period.

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

I have infrared cameras throughout my grow. Use them to check the controller temps/humidity levels when lights off. Never noticed anything affecting them at all.

How the hell would outdoor growers be able to flower plants since the moon lights up the night sky?

joehank

joehank

found this:
One of the most overlooked but most important specification of IR illuminators is frequency. Most IR illuminators on the market are not one-hundred percent invisible to the human eye. Illuminators operating in the ranges of 750nM and 840/880nM emit a soft red glow when looking directly at the illuminator itself. For true stealth operation, select an illuminator that works at 940nM or greater.

and this which explains IR in more detail:

and this:
http://cronodon.com/BioTech/Plants_FAQ.html
So I think you have to find out the type of IR coming from the camera, but I don't think it is strong enough coming from the camera to affect any change in the plants.
You would have to have it sitting within 1/4 inch of plant to notice anything, and even then not much. The camera isn't putting out as much energy as the sun. IR can't be seen by the human eye, but is felt as heat because it reacts with molecules. So something very strong would affect the plant, literally cooking it from the inside out.

joehank

joehank

I have infrared cameras throughout my grow. Use them to check the controller temps/humidity levels when lights off. Never noticed anything affecting them at all.

How the hell would outdoor growers be able to flower plants since the moon lights up the night sky?
I believe it all has to do with the spectrum of light they are receiving. Plants can still have photosynthesis occuring at night because of it . Especially with stuff in the blue spectrum.

efnscreenames

efnscreenames

the moon doesnt put of the right spectrum nor the intensity.

Dr.X

Dr.X

Hi L, the answer to your question is NO, IR won't affect the photo-period, Far red may actually reduce the time plants start to flower..
About the green light not affecting the plants, I'm not sure about that I know lots o recognize people say this but plants also use some green light for the photosynthesis, not directly through chlorophyll but through b-carotene. Maybe green light don't affect the photo-period due to the low intensity

I was going to upload some pictures I took from Ed's growers handbook but the files apparently are too heavy to upload.

S

serpent

hey joehank you know of a good security camera with 940nM or better ir illuminator? my deer camera lights up red at night.might be invisable to deer,but i can sure see it.

joehank

joehank

Sorry I don't. I have installed a few no name brand security cameras from Heartland America catalog and they do not put out any visible light from their " night-vision" leds. Maybe worth a shot

Chobble

Chobble

I believe green light is the only light that doesn't interfere during the dark period. Some farmers use a green light as a work light so they can work in the room in the dark period without effecting plants.

Not sure on infrared, but my guess would be that it would cause issues being on during the dark period.

Green lights are A-ok. I go into my grow room at midnight stoned off my ass to work on my ladies, and I have a few green light bulbs in there. They arn't that great but they work well enough. Sometimes I forget to turn the lights off, but they've never caused a hermie.

As for infrared light, the plant doesnt use that spectrum of light for photosynthesis so it does not trigger the photoperiod. They're a great thing to have in any grow room/garden/driveway to garden/house on property security cameras are a great tool.

Chobble

DismalDude

DismalDude

Thanks for this thread,mine have a red infrared spectrum and I wondered if it would affect the photoperiod.
I feel better about having a camera in there now.

M

mustbedank

"Since the camera is only recording waves that are already there and is not projecting any light into the space, it has no effect on the plants."

S

smaster

"Since the camera is only recording waves that are already there and is not projecting any light into the space, it has no effect on the plants."

This is talking about thermal imaging cameras not inexpensive security cameras that use IR LED's to provide (invisible to the naked eye) illumination to monitor things in the dark. They in fact do project Infra Red light, the camera lenses typically surrounded by a ring of IR LED's

Latest posts

Top Bottom