@#$%ing Leak!

• Thread starter below frigid
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
below frigid

below frigid

Went down to the ranch yesterday to do some digging, getting the pots holes ready. Week before I noticed my 2500 gallon tank was empty? Thought I may have left something on so I filled it. Came back yesterday and empty again. You think 2500 gallons would be easy to find? Not in the spring time! Started at the tank. Dug a little trench around it to look for wet spots. No Leak? Worked my way all the way down the hill 4oo ft pulling up the line as I went. Ended up being 10 ft from the well. Should of started at the other end! Pvc fitting I put in 10 years ago blew, I guess I did not hold it long enough when I glued it. Funny the ground did not seem overly wet until I dug down. I was lucky I had all the stuff to fix it down there. Hour and a half drive to town for parts.

Reactions: Dad
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
We seem to have PVC elbows and fittings blow every year out in the lower gardens. Happened yet again this year, has yet to be repaired. Even though we took care to empty the lines before the first hard freeze, it still blew.

below frigid

below frigid

I drained my system for winter as well but now that you mention it the blow out was where some water does not get drained. I can fix that too. I am glad I did not bury it yet. Thanks

squiggly

squiggly

We seem to have PVC elbows and fittings blow every year out in the lower gardens. Happened yet again this year, has yet to be repaired. Even though we took care to empty the lines before the first hard freeze, it still blew.

All it takes is the tiniest amount of water in the joint. The density change is massive from liquid-->solid phase for water.

It breaks concrete this way even where visible cracks don't exist.

The only way to prevent this is to disconnect your fittings before the first freeze hits.

Top Bottom