Initial drying in the dark - why?

• Thread starter mrfixit
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mrfixit

mrfixit

Just curious, what is the science/logic of initial drying in dark conditions? I understand temp/humidity/time, but I haven't seen any explanations as to why dark is an important factor. And yet it is part of the "norm" when looking at most references to drying/curing.
And no, I get where leaving the buds in strong direct sunlight could have an effect, but normal ambient indoor room lighting? At what point of curing/storage does it become less of an issue, if at all?

Thanks!

sox

sox

good question, ive always heard it degrades the thc when left in direct sunlight...although ive seen em hung up from in everything from open barns/outbuildings, to sunrooms, to storage containers, inside school buses, to strings going from tree to tree...thats all OD though.

Chobble

Chobble

The Drying and curing process should be done in the dark for a few reasons...

#1 Chlorophyll needs to break down and turn into a variety of sugars, Chlorophyll responds to light so the process is best done in the dark.

#2 THC Degradation, I know the morracans dry there pot in the sun but the make hash out of it, It makes it taste pretty bad imo.

#3 Any pot I have left in the sunlight drys out poorly and tasted really bad.

Chobble

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Morracans do it because they have so much of it they need to speed up the drying process so they use sunlight, but when it comes to quality dark is the way to go because of what Chobble stated above. Ambient indoor lighting has the same effect as sunlight its just alot slower and not nearly as powerful.

tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
plants will keep growing for a couple days also...rite? if there is enough light?

mrfixit

mrfixit

plants will keep growing for a couple days also...rite? if there is enough light?

That was one of my thoughts as well, but I wish I had more science on chlorophyll breakdown relative to light. And again I'm talking low level ambient indoor lighting versus a bright area.

Chobble

Chobble

That was one of my thoughts as well, but I wish I had more science on chlorophyll breakdown relative to light. And again I'm talking low level ambient indoor lighting versus a bright area.

I dry in boxes when drying my indoor, and some of the light gets through. I mean a little ambient light probably won't hurt to much. Dont try to speed up dry time with a light though.

Chobble

toxichippie

toxichippie

when the plants are wet they are still alive....and when they get light they will continue to somewhat grow.

i dry for 7 days in the dark at 75 degrees with 50-55% humidity.

IMHO the drying process will make or break the flavor and smoothness of the grow.

mrfixit

mrfixit

Oh, I don't need any convincing relative to a good slow cure; I am getting close to the limit from a space standpoint that meets base requirements, as well as "dark".
:-)

Top Bottom