Inline fan quality

• Thread starter yankee
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Y

yankee

I need to upgrade my ventilation. I'm lighting about 4x4 of a 6x8 room with one 600w. The area is boxed off in the corner but without a lid. Currently I have a 250cfm exhaust and an 80cfm intake fan. I had the ducting attached to the hood and it would only cool it to 78f inside when the outside air temp was in high 50's. I disconnected the exhaust ducting from the hood and put it up on the ceiling and it didn't cool any better, same temp. I'm leaning towards an 8" .

Is there any brand that stands out above the rest as far as quality and durability?

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
intake fan details

vortex, or can fan. Many swear by the Elicent. I have a vortex and a can fan.

Go with the higher rating in cfm, 6" is fine. I would go with a 480cfm or higher rated fan.

480cfms will exhange all the air in 6x8x10 room in 1 minute.
YOur current can shpuld exhange all the air in about 2.5 minutes.

But I would first try this.
Maybe try getting rid of intake fan and see if that helps. The smaller fan is probably impeding air flow.

I find with powefull enough exhuast no intake fan is needed.

B

BongToker

Agreed a 6" on the exhaust side will do work, and if you can just find another room/attic/outside to exhaust to you should have all of your heat and ventilation issues in check

sedate

sedate

yankee said:
Is there any brand that stands out above the rest as far as quality and durability?

CAN brand fans are generally considered the best on the market.

Here are some absurdly good deals:

But for a single 600 any 6" fan should do the trick.

I have a standalone 600 that runs just fine and cool off a 6" duct fan from Home Depot:

July_Phone_Pics_079.jpg

C

cymbaline

I like my sunleaves 6" windtunnel @ 409 cfm.
I bought it because it was supposed to be quiet.. I guess it is but it could be better..
Like the poster above I've heard lots of good things on the elicents, quiet being one of
their strengths as well. Even more quiet than the sunleaves but I've never heard one.
no experience with any brands but the sunleaves..

C

cymbaline

I always suggest to buy an inline fan that has close to twice the cfm rating you need ... and use a speed controller to run it at 1/2 speed ... this will be quieter and the fan will last longer then a fan running at it's cfm limit.
I did exactly as you suggest and bought a fan twice what was needed for my needs, bought one of those speed controllers and imo don't waste your money. Buy a varistat if you want to control an inline fans speed. All that controller did was make my fan hum loud and defeated reducing the speed. Some fans can tolerate a speed controller and some can't like my sunleaves.. The elicents seem to be of the same design so I'm not sure how they would do. Besides those cheap controllers can burn a motor up sooner than it's mtbf.

F

farmerjohn

Us DIYers save a bundle by using metal tubing with elbows. Install the fans while assembling, seal for air leaks & install during the building of the room. My 4 x 3 meter flowering room has two of these assemblies. Running during lights on with 2k watts burning, they keep it under 80 degrees, regardless of the outside air temp.

Here's photos to illustrate. 1st is outtake which vents @ bottom outside the room. 2nd is intake which brings in fresh air & distributes it from inside bottom of room. Works great & I have about $40.00 invested in 2 fans, galvanized tubing & elbows. Plus a little labor.

Another DIYers tip. The outtake exhaust is fitted with a tupperware piece that just fits into the galvanized elbow. I poked it full of holes, filled it with $3.00 worth of aquarium charcoal, slapped the lid on, shoved it into the elbow & sealed any air leaks with expanding foam insulation. This works as well as any $100 or more air filter! Way better, since it cost less than $10.00! It's super easy to refill for only $3.00 when it has run its course, too. Just these two tips I believe have saved me several hundred dollars. And the results are equal to or superior to any setup @ any price! I have lots more of these & have been adding them to strings where they seem appropriate.

If everyone used these money savers instead of always having to invest tons of $$$$$ for every rip-off, over hyped, gadget that these unscrupulous companies insist on marketing, I believe we would all save money on the end result! Instead of Farmer A having to charge a ridiculous $400.00 a zip, he could charge $250.00. But he has to recoup his investment, since he overpaid so dearly for everything he used to produce it, from nutes to lights to ventilation system & filters!

Then we can all spend the extra money on the ONLY thing that there is no DIY alternative for & that is genetics. @ the end of the day, it's the most important factor in harvesting a high quality crop, anyway!

100 1755
100 1756
Giddeon

Giddeon

I use vortex brand fans and loved them!! Some now running non stop for over a year. I have all different sizes and even a V-series. Every fan is very well made, reliable and speed adjustable. I definitely recommend Vortex fans!!

Curb Feeler

Curb Feeler

I have 6 inch Elicent fans and they are great. They are very quiet and work well with a speed controller.

mittenmedgrow

mittenmedgrow

Probably more than what your lookin for but this fan has been in use probably 10 plus yrs. Quiet low rpm pushes a lot of air. I have never had a can fan last anywhere near that long. I am also running 2 6in max fans been about a year still holding up.
IMAG0583.jpg

TylerDurden119

TylerDurden119

I have an elicent 6" from 9 yrs ago that is still kickin!

I also have a 10" max can and its nearly as quiet as the elicent.

I'm happy with both and would recommend either to a friend.

I'd try the same out, lose your intake and try the 6".

good luck!

F

freshproduce

CAP fans all the way!!! You get your monies worth and they work great! Thanks CAP!!! Hope this helps!
Fresh Produce

mittenmedgrow

mittenmedgrow

Take it a part and clean it? I have never needed to clean mine.

TylerDurden119

TylerDurden119

i was looking at my 9yr old 6" and there's definetly some buildup on the blades a minor coating of dust. can't see it reducing cfm too much, maaaybe 5% IF that. n hence why i didn't bother cleaning it. I think the strength of the magnets goin would b the main problem especially if u run it in a hot area.

B

BigCountry

Most of the time (especially when pulling through a prefilter and filter) build up is not a problem.
Some growers are true dirtbags and have filth builing up around them at all times. HaHa
Seriously, I have seen moldy fans pulling in fresh air from an attic or moldy crawlspace.
Not a big selling point, but they are some of the most industrial strength fans on the market.

H

Hydrobaby

I really like the CAP fans they are cheap reliable and have a lifetime warranty.

I

ibTheMan

i always run can style fans, but i have a 1000w in ah 4x4 tent with a 6" inline 240cfm and its plenty for cooln 1 1000w if the duct runs are str8, plus there alot smaller, lighter, and cheaper.(6" 240cfm=$30)

Top Bottom