Input Needed For Experiment Comparing Cob Led To Hps De

• Thread starter cccmints
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Should the HPS plants veg under LED then transfer to the HPS tent?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
brazel

brazel

No, I don't see how you could surmise from my post that lux is irrelevant. PAR is directly connected to the flux output of the COB, which is why its showcased in their datasheets. Just because plants don't utilize the total flux output of a COB LED diode, doesn't render a lux meter useless. I'm not just trying to understand plant growth underneath these fixtures, I'm trying to use this COB technology to create an ideal light fixture as a replacement for HPS.

I will say though, the tone of your post is unnecessary, and if you want my honest opinion, it doesn't look good on you. You clearly haven't even read the entire thread because you're asking questions which have already been answered. Try reading the thread before making a post next time, or try reading this thread and post a useful response.

Your analogies are horrendous. Lux is not irrelevant to the performance of COBs. THAT is an actual fact. This is FAR from the end of this discussion. The idea that you think you can end the discussion with what you've posted is comical.

Good luck and cheers to you!

I'm really confused, because....Theproblem is, even the HPS guys agree HPS is not ideal for vegetative growth. I don't want to appear bias towards LED by using HPS for veg. After all, the big question we all have right now is; Can LED hang with HPS during the flowering stage? THAT'S WHAT YOU POSTED! I'm not just trying to understand plant growth underneath these fixtures, I'm trying to use this COB technology to create an ideal light fixture as a replacement for HPS. THAT'S WHAT YOU POSTED

I said lux works for what human see, so maybe you're making a 12 cob street light? Either way i was still giving you advice.
PAR is directly connected to the flux output of the COB? ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT FLUX AS IN PPF? WELL LUX METER DOESN'T measure that!
Just because plants don't utilize the total flux output of a COB LED diode?
are you talking about luminous flux cuz once again doesn't mean shit to plants.

More info more info. Flux? Are you talking about a certain style they grow plants?

COB LED diode? Is that what they call them now

It's cool bro. Good bye and that chat was nice!

C

cccmints

I'm really confused, because....Theproblem is, even the HPS guys agree HPS is not ideal for vegetative growth. I don't want to appear bias towards LED by using HPS for veg. After all, the big question we all have right now is; Can LED hang with HPS during the flowering stage? THAT'S WHAT YOU POSTED! I'm not just trying to understand plant growth underneath these fixtures, I'm trying to use this COB technology to create an ideal light fixture as a replacement for HPS. THAT'S WHAT YOU POSTED

I said lux works for what human see, so maybe you're making a 12 cob street light? Either way i was still giving you advice.
PAR is directly connected to the flux output of the COB? ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT FLUX AS IN PPF? WELL LUX METER DOESN'T measure that!
Just because plants don't utilize the total flux output of a COB LED diode?
are you talking about luminous flux cuz once again doesn't mean shit to plants.

More info more info. Flux? Are you talking about a certain style they grow plants?

COB LED diode? Is that what they call them now

It's cool bro. Good bye and that chat was nice!
Dude you need to chill the fuck out. You're acting like you're in a position where you can end this entire discussion with one post. Your're not, sorry.

I'm talking flux as in light output of the COB, which can be used to determine the efficiency of that COB @ the drive current you're testing. Am I claiming to be an expert? No. Are you an expert? Far from it.
Flux? Are you talking about a certain style they grow plants?
What are you even talking about...?

The chat was shit, because you're annoying and argumentative. Yeah, did you not know that a Chip On Board is an LED diode???????

Holy shit get the fuck out of my thread and any other thread I create.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Sweet, thanks @sixstring So it appears the harder you drive the COB, the higher its Forward Voltage. 1.75a isn't listed in that data, so I'll be able to fill in that gap with this test. I think a 12 COB fixture pushing the Vero 29 @ 1.75a would prove to be fantastic. Time will tell...

@gwheels I'm doing HPS first since its currently the most popular alternative to LED. I plan to also compare the fixtures I build to quantum boards, CMH, etc. in the future.

@jumpincactus The reason for me wanting to collect the lux is because its a variable for the calculator I'm using. The calculator requires you to digitize the spectral distribution of the COB you're testing, input the forward voltage, drive current, flux @ drive current %, and finally, the nominal flux. With this, the calculator produces the QER (umol/W/s), LER (lm/W), Efficiency (%), PAR (W), PPF (umol/s) of that COB @ whichever drive current you're testing.

Any ideas as to why Nominal Flux is part of this calculator? Remember guys, I'm new to all of this, but I'm dedicated to designing a great match for the 1000W DE HPS while drawing way less power and reaping the benefits LED brings overall.

HdM0w5EarJ.png

Maybe the Nominal Flux is needed to produce the figures that calculator gives upon inputting the above listed variables, meaning I still need a Lux meter? It seems I definitely need a quantum sensor, so that's been added to the price list. I'd like to order this equipment today if possible but will obviously wait until I'm sure I'm getting what I need to run the tests/experiments I aim to provide for the community.

Thanks for all the input gentlemen. Lets figure this out together!
Apogee has just released a quantum meter that accounts for adjustments in factoring led light source par/ppfd. New tech for the rising LED market. Check them out. Thank you for your clarifications. I will be following your journey.Subbed for sure. :D

PS hps lends itself to more stretch and looser internode difference. You can veg with hps of course but MH is the preferred method as it lends itself to shorter node space and tighter stacking.

C

cccmints

Apogee has just released a quantum meter that accounts for adjustments in factoring led light source par/ppfd. New tech for the rising LED market. Check them out. Thank you for your clarifications. I will be following your journey.Subbed for sure. :D

PS hps lends itself to more stretch and looser internode difference. You can veg with hps of course but MH is the preferred method as it lends itself to shorter node space and tighter stacking.
Is this what you're referring to? https://www.apogeeinstruments.com/sq-500-full-spectrum-quantum-sensor/

In the future I'd like to design a LED fixture with a spectrum ideal for veg and compare it to MH, T5, etc. for the veg cycle. To do that I may need a spectrometer which is way down the line. Right now I just want to test LED vs HPS and make it as fair as possible. It seems the best route to take is build out a full-cycle (3500K 80 CRI) LED fixture and let the HPS plants veg under that until its time for 12/12, then throw them in their own tent under a 1000w DE HPS.

Top Bottom