Insect Frass Brands

• Thread starter Saint Skinny
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Saint Skinny

Saint Skinny

Howdy all!
I've been really intrigued by the whole chitin plant response and the way its supposed to deter insects. I've wanted to try it out for some time but right now funds are tight due to My Mom having a Bone Marrow Transplant, so I wanted to get a smaller bag to make sure I liked it and it worked for me. Does anyone know of any off-brand insect frass that comes in smaller sizes, or maybe has samples? I saw that Insect frass brand has half pound bags for around $10, so I may just go with one of those if I cant find another brand that may be priced a little better. The only thing is its almost double the price per unit when bought in those bags, since its $10 for a 1/2lb and $20 for 2lb. not to mention the only option I could choose for shipping (from Onfrass.com) was overnight shipping that was something like $70. I saw them say they had samples on the "FAQ" on their site, but I emailed them and Havent gotten a reply, and its been almost a week. Any help is appreciated, as always.
Growers Love, yall!

Organikz

Organikz

Howdy all!
I've been really intrigued by the whole chitin plant response and the way its supposed to deter insects. I've wanted to try it out for some time but right now funds are tight due to My Mom having a Bone Marrow Transplant, so I wanted to get a smaller bag to make sure I liked it and it worked for me. Does anyone know of any off-brand insect frass that comes in smaller sizes, or maybe has samples? I saw that Insect frass brand has half pound bags for around $10, so I may just go with one of those if I cant find another brand that may be priced a little better. The only thing is its almost double the price per unit when bought in those bags, since its $10 for a 1/2lb and $20 for 2lb. not to mention the only option I could choose for shipping (from Onfrass.com) was overnight shipping that was something like $70. I saw them say they had samples on the "FAQ" on their site, but I emailed them and Havent gotten a reply, and its been almost a week. Any help is appreciated, as always.
Growers Love, yall!
Crab meal is more ideal. It is loaded with chitin as well as calcium and trace minerals. Much cheaper. It is scientifically proven that sicilic acid which is found in aloe also triggers a plants defenses.

Saint Skinny

Saint Skinny

I thought I had heard chitin from Insect frass was more available? I could be wrong, I've been pounding as much grow knowledge into my head as possible so I may have confused a thing or two lol

Organikz

Organikz

I thought I had heard chitin from Insect frass was more available? I could be wrong, I've been pounding as much grow knowledge into my head as possible so I may have confused a thing or two lol
It's not the chitin itself. It's the enzyme that is released as chitin is broken down. Chitin itself is useless. Thats a common misconception and this I read from a post old lumperdawg aka Coots aka Underhill made. He has lots of aliases lol.

Organikz

Organikz

the Chitinase?
Bingo! Damn you have been hitting the books. The plant only needs to sense the slightest amounts to trigger defenses. It's going to last longer in crab meal. You don't need x amount available like nutrients. Sicilic acid in aloe also triggers a plants defenses which has me wondering if i will even bother with this amendment later down the road.

Last edited:
Organikz

Organikz

Just my thoughts here but I think some focus so much on IPM that the plants health suffers. This is when the door opens for pestilence. My new MO is grow a healthy plant period. A healthy plant with a high SAR and BRIX isn't seen as a victim to mites etc. The mites can literally sense plant distress.

I have utmost respect for Coots but myself along with others notice some important things lacking in the mix. Where's da PHOS? Phosphorus is the backbone and I constantly ran into the old phos wall in mid to late flower. I have since tuned the mix with some fish bone meal while cutting down on crab meal.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom