Inside or outside

• Thread starter putembk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
putembk

putembk

Was thinking about all the new techniques evolving today and wondered which is better inside or out or starting in and moving out. I grow inside 9 months and shut down in the summer for several reasons including needing a break. I grow in organic soil because it's easier to control humidity, can't go outside because of privacy concerns and altitude. I have learned not only how to mitigate problems but how not to get the problems in the first place. Mostly. I know there are all kinds of opinions on which is the best way to grow so share yours.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Aw, I think you know where I'm gonna land on that. I disagree that altitude plays any serious role in limiting growing OD, though. I know a few people up in Lake Tahoe (6,260' +/-) who grow outside, as well as in the high country around here. Sierra Nevada mountains can get pretty high up there in altitude.

I grow soil food web organic soil because it's easier to let the organisms do the work for me. I feed the soil instead of the plants and it works out beautifully. I've also been working on expanding our growing areas around the property and am doing organic veggies, mostly bush beans and corn right now. I love seeing the soil come to life and the fruits, literally, of my labors.

Now, all I need is for this knee to heal! I'm ready to get back to work.

putembk

putembk

Aw, I think you know where I'm gonna land on that. I disagree that altitude plays any serious role in limiting growing OD, though. I know a few people up in Lake Tahoe (6,260' +/-) who grow outside, as well as in the high country around here. Sierra Nevada mountains can get pretty high up there in altitude.

I grow soil food web organic soil because it's easier to let the organisms do the work for me. I feed the soil instead of the plants and it works out beautifully. I've also been working on expanding our growing areas around the property and am doing organic veggies, mostly bush beans and corn right now. I love seeing the soil come to life and the fruits, literally, of my labors.

Now, all I need is for this knee to heal! I'm ready to get back to work.

How do you get around frost? I have to wait until June to plant tomatoes outside or they will get frost. I know growers who grow outside in the Denver area but it seems like you have to start inside or you will run out of time. Again, frost, for me usually by mid Sept. Why not just stay inside where you can control the elements. Is this a personal preference or is the taste/aroma better.

putembk

putembk

caregiverken, nice pics but I have no place secluded enough to try any thing like that. I wouldn't sleep at night for fear of someone finding all those beautiful plants.

S

smokestack23

Not sure what you mean that soil makes it easier to control humidity. If you have a lot of leaves transpiring...it's gonna be humid whether they're growing in RDWC, coco, peat, pearlite, soil, broken glass or bowling balls.

So..out or in? But you say you won't grow outdoors so...I don't really get it. I guess the correct answer has to be...indoors??

If you mean which is better...it completely depends. If you don't have room inside go outdoors.
Even if you plant outdoors in June you have lots of time. If you don't think so then bring clones or plantlets outside. It's the frost in the fall that'll get ya. If that's a problem, grow autos or use a tarp to induce flowering early.

If you can't get outdoors to grow plants that'll yield way more with less maintenance, have a chance of getting ripped/infested/eaten/busted..then I guess you have to grow indoors.
Again...I guess I don't understand the question. Kinda seems like saying...I don't swim outside but which is better..an indoor pool or outdoor.
DEPENDS what you prefer, how big your house is, your yard, your time for maintenance...blah blah blah.
PEACE.

putembk

putembk

Not sure what you mean that soil makes it easier to control humidity. If you have a lot of leaves transpiring...it's gonna be humid whether they're growing in RDWC, coco, peat, pearlite, soil, broken glass or bowling balls.

So..out or in? But you say you won't grow outdoors so...I don't really get it. I guess the correct answer has to be...indoors??

If you mean which is better...it completely depends. If you don't have room inside go outdoors.
Even if you plant outdoors in June you have lots of time. If you don't think so then bring clones or plantlets outside. It's the frost in the fall that'll get ya. If that's a problem, grow autos or use a tarp to induce flowering early.

If you can't get outdoors to grow plants that'll yield way more with less maintenance, have a chance of getting ripped/infested/eaten/busted..then I guess you have to grow indoors.
Again...I guess I don't understand the question. Kinda seems like saying...I don't swim outside but which is better..an indoor pool or outdoor.
DEPENDS what you prefer, how big your house is, your yard, your time for maintenance...blah blah blah.
PEACE.

Good post. I appreciate your input. First, I have never grown hydro but I would think the humidity would be higher. Just makes since to me. So having hydrogen molecules circulating inside a grow room won't make the humidity higher? Next, outdoor growing interests me I just don't feel I have enough privacy. And last I would think outdoors plants would be more affected by weather, bugs, mold, mildew....blah blah blah. I have only grown one way and am just trying to see the light. One more thing, I have a mother that has Power Mildew and if I can keep the humidity below 40% I see no sign of the stuff.

S

smokestack23

Well..I'm just making this up but...with soil you may have MORE humidity. Sometimes the top of your soil will be moist. In most/all hydro systems though the nutrient solution is not really exposed to the room air....meaning...it's usually in a pipe, a pail with a lid on it, in sprayers/misters contained inside something.

Outside you have to deal with less issues perhaps. Mother nature will deal with some of them for you. There might be nasty bugs and bacteria, fungii....but, in nature (outside) there are also beneficial ones that keep things balanced and harmonious.
That's one problem with most hydro systems. I for example, run sterile solutions..meaning..NOTHING living in my water except my plants. IF I get a nasty pathogen, I have to deal with it as there are no natural checks and balances to keep things equal. Without "good soldiers"..the bad ones can EXPLODE!!

Growing outdoors has many advantages (and some disadvantages). I find that the trick is to plant 4 or so plants for every 1 you want to harvest. one for the cops, one for the thieves, one for the bugs, one for the deer/bears...and...one for you.

Once you've done all the hard work of...finding a great location, prepping it, lugging water, nutes and plants or seeds....mother nature can do MOST of the rest. Outside light is much better and much cheaper. IF your plants do get discovered by law enforcement, there's a good chance YOU won't get busted (different story indoors). Plants can grow much larger outside..and sometimes faster too.
For instance...a friend of mine ;) grew inside for like 5 years and did pretty well. One season he decided to give the outdoors a go. He bought 100 clones of some early flowering BC acclimated plants. He harvested over 60 lbs. That almost matched his 5 years of indoor production (he wasn't doing huge indoor grows and this was about 15 years ago).

If I lived in a place where the days of October had less than like 16 hours of daylight (then the frost comes)...or if there were any big yielding and growing autos yet....I'd be growing outside. Instead I have to grow indoors. It's dangerous, tedious, could be more profitable outside...but ...I LOVE IT.

PEACE.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
The size of OD plants is a problem for me, a consistent one. Seed starts pretty much ALWAYS hit 10', and I'm barely over 5'. The slope can help, but it can also hinder (just try using a ladder on a slope).

Yes, I fear law enforcement, but have had to address it head on and got to know them personally. Each and every one of those bald SOBs. But the bigger problem is rippers because I am forced to deal with them myself. I'm a middle-aged woman who minds her own business and has never really physically fought with someone, what the hell am I gonna do against some fucking tweaker? All I can do is protect myself. And for that I use cyclone fencing and surveillance, it's the best I can do.

In fact, as we prepare more of the property and make ready more beds for both cannabis and veggies, I'm preparing to spend well over $1K just to fence the area. I could save a few hundred by going with pigwire, and that will do just fine against the deer and maybe the fat cat, but not so much with rippers. So, I bite the bullet because that grand barely pays for two months of growing indoors only. The fencing is permanent, though, ya dig?

Also, maybe my own situation is a bit different in that we have about 1.3 acres that are mostly surrounded by Indian manzanita, on a slope and I live in Gold Country. What's that got to do with a fucking thing? People up here still have a strong 49r mindset. That means don't wander on their land or try to jump their claim (aye, there's still gold in these here hills!) or you just might get shot. In fact, it's not at all uncommon to hear gunshots here. It's usually people just plinkin', but they may also be shooting at a raccoon, bear or mountain lion. For some reason they're sweet on deer and squirrels here, I don't get it.
How do you get around frost? I have to wait until June to plant tomatoes outside or they will get frost. I know growers who grow outside in the Denver area but it seems like you have to start inside or you will run out of time. Again, frost, for me usually by mid Sept. Why not just stay inside where you can control the elements. Is this a personal preference or is the taste/aroma better.
I don't. Frost and cold just won't kill Mary. I've tried to kill many plants by just setting them outside in January and it never worked until the following June. I recently learned that, while our last frost date is considered May 5, that most locals don't put anything out until June 1. Also learned another interesting thing about the old-timers, they say that we're going to have a long, hard winter because the does are all having twins. Apparently does (deer) don't have twins very often and when a lot of them do traditionally winter stays a long time. Then I also learned about the "dogwood snow" from my new trimmer lady. There will only be one more snow after the dogwood blooms. Never knew that when I bought my dogwood.

As for the other, I personally am working towards naturalized peppers, tomatoes and other veggies. I want only those that perform well and survive our winters, which are CERTAIN to become much more extreme in the following years. In fact, I expect all weather to become much more extreme, and I want only those plants that will perform.

You must not pay very much for your electricity. Last month was the first time EVER (as in since we moved to this home in '05) that an electric bill was under $200. That required the house to be emptied of all others except myself and my husband, being too cold in other rooms (bought a zero-clearance woodburning fireplace to replace the stupid propane insert, but that requires at least three cords to last the winter and we're still needing to burn/keep the house warm), and turning EVERYTHING off, keeping anything that draws constantly on power strips, switching lighting to CFLs and shutting down my entire indoor growing area.

See, I'm a little whack. I think American culture and society are going to collapse, so I want to be sure I can feed myself and my family using what I have available.
Good post. I appreciate your input. First, I have never grown hydro but I would think the humidity would be higher. Just makes since to me. So having hydrogen molecules circulating inside a grow room won't make the humidity higher? Next, outdoor growing interests me I just don't feel I have enough privacy. And last I would think outdoors plants would be more affected by weather, bugs, mold, mildew....blah blah blah. I have only grown one way and am just trying to see the light. One more thing, I have a mother that has Power Mildew and if I can keep the humidity below 40% I see no sign of the stuff.
You would think that, except that, for whatever reason, I have found that outdoor plants handle all of that much MUCH more easily. They're healthier, in my opinion, because they are getting exposure to what they've evolved to "like," i.e. The Big Metal Halide in the Sky, earth, wind and fire.. wait, not fire.

I've seen PM show with an RH of 30%. Relative humidity has little to do with anything more than whether or not the PM will show fruiting bodies (the white you see on the leaves). Couple that with the myriad species of PM, and it's far from unequivocal. I equivocate all the time because of it.

The bugs, outside, are also exposed to natural assassins. I have naturally available to me a huge suite of both pests and predators. I want them around, because I need them like I need to eat.

Oh yeah, you asked if taste and aroma are better with the OD stuff, and with specific regard to what *I* grow, unequivocally the answer is yes. It's much tastier, in my opinion, and I believe that's because I can fully utilize the soil food web.

putembk

putembk

Thanks maiden and smokestack, you have shown me another way and the good and bad of each. I have a 2nd home in the mountains next to the Colorado River and maybe next year I will plant some clones in a remote spot there and see how they do. And no I don't have a electricity problem. My basement is a dungeon and didn't get above 68 last summer which allows me to keep my rooms below 75 without a/c. In the winter I actually have to pump some heat down there or they won't break 70. Hope your knee is better today maiden.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Great Post Seamaiden...

Shoot, all of your posts are good ones.

I like the way you think...And I too think " American culture and society are going to collapse" Or at the very least, I wanna be ready if it does.

putembk

putembk

Kind of off subject here but I think you are right. I have recently retired as a medium size business operator and have been frustrated for years by corporate and political greed and stupid mistakes. If we don't stop fucking up you better learn to speak Chinese. We can no longer afford to be the worlds policeman. And yet we continue to do it over and over. Don't want to get into a political discussion but our government wastes so much it is disgusting. I am trying to be as self sufficient as I possibly can. Will never but another car, will make this one last, heat with wood and much as I can and grow as much of my own food as possible. I feel sorry for the younger generations, you will be the ones paying for the mistakes over the last decade. Sorry I'm starting to ramble so I better shut up.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
:giggle I said Hello and Thank you. We can thank my granddaughter and her love for the show Ni Hao, Kai Lan for giving me this small education in speaking some dialect of Chinese.

S

smokestack23

WOW...
First...Seamaiden...can I come visit? We have a LOT in common.

I lived in BC for about 15 years. Gold country too...and weed country. I got into the gold thing at first to stake a claim ($25) just to "have" the land. It's almost that easy for a placer miner. BUT...then I found out that there really IS gold in them thar hills so I got a touch of the fever.
Then it switched to spending hundreds of hours just reading the Gold Commissioner's Annual Reports. They keep them and have over a hundred of them. It's fascinating.
WAY up north like in the Yukon it's still like the old days...You can grow a white beard, act all crazy and shoot at people who come close if you holler...Git off my claim ya dirty claim jumper..lol.
But...further south in BC...if you hunt or hike or fish in the fall...you have to be careful NOT to find mj crops. They're EVERYWHERE. Kinda like Cali I'm guessing.

About the state of the world and this fucked up system called Capitalism or the monetary system...it WILL collapse..it's not a question of IF.

I'm in my mid 40s and have grandchildren. Thank GOD we're in Canada. This country holds a winning lottery ticket. We have LOTS of oil, climate change is giving us a longer growing season (yes it IS real) and we feed a good chunk of the world. Our dollar is strong...we're gonna do OK.

BUT..the rest of the world...FUCK ME.
I usually live in Mexico for 4 months of the year and thank GOD I do. IT is what taught me what's important in life. When you see people who live and support a family on $5/day (90% of the world lives on TWO bucks a day)..no, when you MEET those people and they bring you to their "homes" and shower you with food and love that they had to save up for a month to buy...even when to them you are filthy rich...
or when you see a person on a broken down skateboard with no arms and legs with a tin can around their neck...when that person can smile and laugh...well it makes any trivial problems of mine seem..well..trivial. It also makes me realize how much I have and that I can afford to share.

So...I dropped right out. Also thanks to a herniated disc though...I quit work.

I worked my bag off all my life and still couldn't get ahead. My ex and I both worked. We had to pay OTHER people to raise our kids. Now they've grown and I missed it while I was at work providing for them. My Mom lives about 15 hours to the west and my living Grandmother lives about 38 hours to the East in a nursing home. In Mexico, I would work, my wife would raise my kids with help from our parents and grandparents. It takes a village to raise a child. Well...our "villages" are now very spread out. Our kids get raised by strangers. Wonder why they're fucking up??

As for war and spending so much to be the global police or American empire...we (Canada) follow you guys on all your war games. It seems we're ALWAYS involved in a war somewhere. I was just thinking yesterday...MAN...imagine if the US finally came home from the two wars it shouldn't even be in. What would Americans think if they weren't in a war. They've been in so many wars for so long...it would probably seem WEIRD! IMAGINE if the US wasn't bombing countries.
For some reason, it seems like that would be a strange feeling for Americans. It sure would be nice though...for Americans and the rest of the world.

THEY make us fearful all the time. Fearful of Islam, Russia, China, N Korea, Iran, Pakistan...how often do THOSE countries act like global cops? IMAGINE if China ever started invading countries at the drop of a hat like the US does. Why does the US get away with it?

I think what America should do is string up Bush, Rumsfeld, and Cheney (at least) and make an example of them. Let it be a warning to future war and money criminals. And Reagan too...oh..nevermind.

I'm not saying Canada is perfect. Far from it. It would be much better though if we did what we want and think is right and stop being a puppet of the US. We gotta stop following them into wars.
When we wanna decrim weed we gotta say FUCK YOU to the US when they tell us we can't...not...oh ok..sorry about that..I don't know what we were thinking. Next time the US threatens us with closing the border to our lumber and wheat if we decrim..we should say...oh yeah? We're your biggest supplier of oil...YOU decrim or WE'll shut the tap. But no..we're fuckin too mushy and stupid to do that.

So yeah...I get no insurance..no job..no nothing. I have some hobbies that make some $ but I don't spend much time on them.
I found out that I wouldn't die. I could survive and be happy...HAPPIER...without working my balls off for nothing. I wouldn't lose my house or vehicle. Everything keeps going. the only "problem" is that I get to...I mean have to ;) go live in Mexico like a Mexican for a good part of the year to SAVE MONEY and I do!
I just don't go re-mortgage myself or buy a new car or boat or quad everytime I get a raise at work to force myself to keep slaving.

WOW..that's quite the rant. Sorry...I just get really pissed off when I stand on a cloud as a neutral observer and see wtf is going on in the world today. When 90% of the world survives on $2/day while we in the west literally eat ourselves to death with obesity and diabetes like bloated Romans...uh yeah...there are gonna be some repercussions!

Now that I've "dropped-out" I have less stress, less pain, more happiness, more time with my kids and grandchildren and...I'm actually getting fatter...not starving. In FACT..my wife and I (she doesnt work either) support a Mexican kid and an African family through World Vision...but...we also support a Mexican Mother and her 17 year old Son. She works 12 hours a day for nine dollars. She has to buy food, pay for the bus to get to work and back, pay rent........well...WE pay her rent. It's nothing and it makes a HUGE difference for them. The only thing it does for us is make us feel good. We're going to try to help more people and families too. It's nothing to us but means the WORLD to them.

When we harvest more than out "limit" we give the extra to people like us..people who can't work (or grow) and who are getting fucked over by the system. We COULD sell the shit and buy ourselves stuff like new cars and shit but...when you wake up in the morning knowing that you're actually REALLY helping people...it feels WAY better than looking at a shiny new car in the driveway. I SWEAR..I have tears in my eyes right now but they're tears of joy. A car won't so that.

HOLY left turn Batman..we're WAY off the subject now...but...I had to do this rant because...THIS community is more compassionate than most.
Why is it us potheads who see and CARE about the truth? Why couldn't it be the richest people? the ones in control? I mean...I'm as greedy as the next guy but I can see when my cup is full and flowing over (even if my cup is smaller these days) and I see people with EMPTY cups..or NO cup at all. When I see that I want to share...not fuck them over for whatever they have left.

Anyway Seamaiden...It'll never happen but it sure would be nice to meet you..to come visit...too bad this community can't be more "open". Too bad also that while your country will let my Prime Minister in even if he admittedly possessed weed..and we let your leaders into Canada if they smoked weed...but...I got busted for possession 28 years ago. I'm not welcome. I'd LOVE to come to California and see it...and Texas on the Gulf coast..and Louisiana ...oh well :(.

I guess all we can do is to do what we know is right and speak out...or keep it to ourselves unless we want to be spending the rest of our lives in Gitmo. OR...make some popcorn and sit back and watch the sky fall down cause it is gonna. It's started already.
Hopefully Canada will do ok. We have banking laws to prevent what happened to you guys...no bank bailouts here. We have healthcare (as shitty as it is), we have oil, we have guns but don't usually kill each other with them...but we are fat lazy polluters who seem to like to follow our "DAD" into stupid conflicts and while 400 people don't own over 90% of the wealth in this country like they do in the US, our middle class is hurting too. We are a mini USA but thankfully we have "stuff" and a lot of it that the world needs so yeah...Canada is probably gonna fare ok. We'll see.

I sure don't envy my grandchildren. Hopefully in 20 years when I'm older I won't be telling stories like...man back in the day we had bananas and oranges in January. You could catch a fish and eat it without worrying about being poisoned. There was game in the forest that you could hunt and eat. There was a forest. A person could say anything they want without worrying...Actually...I could probably have that talk with them right now :(.

OK so yeah...growing outside...ummm...yes...it is good. lol.

PEACE.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I'm prone to rants, too, smokestack. Eres Latino, o su esposa solamente? Mi espanol no es bueno, estoy.... como una nina (and I can't be arsed to insert the 'n' with the ~ every time, though my mother knows how and finds my recalcitrance annoying). I have a brother-in-law who's Mexican and a firefighter for LA County fire, does a lot of work down there during the year for an organization that puts American firefighters with bomberos in Mexico, but damn if I can remember the name of the organization.

It's almost June and we've had ONE WEEK of warm weather. That's it. I have to focus on those plants that will tolerate these extremes, just as everyone else should. The sun will shine no matter what, that's where I have to look.

As for all the other, I'm going to tell you what I've told several other friends, and this is based on my experiences from both sides or ends of the spectrum; i.e. being the one in serious need of help (spent a few months homeless, for instance) and being the one to do the helping. You will better be able to help others when you have first helped yourself.

I could throw a few bucks around here and there before I married and found another calling (growing), but I couldn't offer someone a place to live. I couldn't afford to help them pay for gas, let alone fix their car or help them in their transportation needs. I could have offered up lots of advice, but little else of consequence. Now, in large part due to my husband, his work, ethics and philosophies, I am not only able, but willing, to help others in ways I never would have before, and in ways that are more significant, more... what's the word I'm looking for?

When I was homeless I got a very different perspective on life. What I'm talking about ties to that and for some reason I just can't articulate it.

Just a quick FYI as far as groups that exhibit this type of "community." It's not unique to cannabis growers. It's also very prevalent in motorcycling circles, there are a lot of people who will drop everything to run and help another rider out if they've been in an accident or having problems with their bike, for instance. Organizing rides for someone who's sick or has been in an accident (all too common a theme, and I have TWO motorcycle widows in my tiny neighborhood).

And with that I will stop the rambling. Sometimes I wonder if learning to touch type wasn't such a good thing afterall, it allows me to muse in writing exactly as I am mentally. It confuses us all.

S

smokestack23

No, estamos Canadien. Hablo francais y mui poquito espanol. I'm done lol. Luckily french and spanish are pretty similar so it's kinda easy for me. My wife though..she does ok but it must be so hard for her. Plus..she's a newfie so just understanding her english can be a chore lol. Oh right...that means she's from Newfoundland. Besides Quebec, probably the only Canadians with any culture of their own.So yeah...homeless..wow. thankfully things didn't get that bad for me. Could happen though I guess.

Friends of mine are starting to have heart attacks and shit though. that's a reality check for ya boy. It's one thing to be "living" homeless...try living healthless. I'll be able to live homeless..the key is to be alive I guess. Thankfully I havent had to deal with either yet but...we'll ALL get old, and sick, and we'll ALL die. I guess the trick is to be able to appreciate what we have. It's to be alive and to suck everything in that we can. If we can be compassionate while we're here. If we can help those who need it. If we are loving...well it's a beautiful place to be...here and alive.

Anyway...I'll pm you one day and we can chew the fat a bit.
PEACE!

D

dealwis

I prefer outdoor growing but there is a problem with the privacy.

Top Bottom