intake and exhaust question

• Thread starter boss750
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

boss750

I am building a 6 1000k watt light grow in my garage. all lights will be air cooled. space is 10'x17'. the problem i have is intake and exhaust. the way the house is designed i cant cut holes and go up with the exhaust. (two floors above garage and no attic). the furnace for central heat is in the garage and i wanted to no if it would be wise to tap into the return or supply vents from the furnace? which side would i tap into? and because the furnace will be in my grow room would the exhausted air just come back into my room? everyones help would be appreciated.

C

Cannibis Cajun

i have no idea but was considering the same thing. i'm thinking it may work if tapped into the port that pushes air into the rooms but it may also blow hot air back through it so a back-draft plate would be needed. using the return would be a bad idea in my opinion: in my situation , and from what little i understand: due to it being a cold air return for my furnace. id also have to make sure it was truely air tight as i don't want my house to reek ALL the time. I will ask an hvac guy and get back to u you asap BOSS750

B

boss750

thanks. i'm not worried about my house reeking because i will have a carbon filter on the exhaust.

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

Boss,
you given any thought to a sealed room setup? Are there any openings at all in the garage? Any windows?

C

cymbaline

I asked about doing something similar and the response given to me was.
Watch out for condensation occurring in the return and creating a healthy environment
for mold to grow. I didn't do it because of that reason.

B

boss750

Boss,
you given any thought to a sealed room setup? Are there any openings at all in the garage? Any windows?

There are no windows or openings. i thought about a sealed room but have no experience with it, never done one before.

B

boss750

That's what I'm going to do. just cut a hole through the side of the wall and install a vent. i always like my grows to look low key because of the area I'm in. (bay area). you have to watch out for thieves. This was an idea i had and i wanted to see if anyone has ever succeeded at this.

Legallyflying

Legallyflying

big no no on tapping into your HVAC system. The pressure differences will really mess with the computer in the furnace. Just punch a hole in one side of the room and another in the the side. install a basic looking inlet and a flapped outlet.

I picked up all my ducting and hose here: http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Prod/Broan-NuTone-885BL-Wall-Cap-Black/104038/Cat/818

make sure you get the aluminum flexible vent pipe, not that plasticey crap designed for dryers. MUCH less resistance in the aluminum stuff. If you have to make 90 degree turns, install the dedicated hvac elbows as opposed to using the flexible pipe.

have fun :)

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

Boss,
you can't vent 6k worth of lighting with a 4" duct. Sorry to be a wet blanket. I would just get a mini split installed. Something in the range of 36k btus. Do it first thing before you set up anything. Hire a pro, and if there are any questions, tell them that you are doing some remodeling, and converting the garage space into an office. That will take care of keeping things cool in there. Then just make sure that you are sealed up in your grow zone (garage door, I'm looking at you), add some Co2, and enjoy!

Latest posts

Top Bottom