Intermediate Transplanting Solution Suggestions?

• Thread starter od1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
O

od1

Hi all,

I'm going to be transplanting 4 seedlings from their Rapid Rooter tray very soon, and I'll need an intermediate solution before the drip system I ordered arrives. Here's a photo of the roots:

Intermediate transplanting solution suggestions

I want to transplant them at the ideal time, so when would you suggest I move them? Tomorrow evening is the soonest I could do it.

Also, what would be the best intermediate container to put them into before the drip system arrives? I'm guessing it should have drainage holes. They'll be in coco with a hydroton top and bottom layer in the drip system buckets ultimately.

I do have four 3 gallon fabric pots that I won't be using since I ordered that drip system. Should I fill one up with coco, and put all 4 in there spaced apart, or should I keep them in individual containers? I'm guessing individual containers would be better and easier to deal with.

Thanks

O

od1

Cool, thanks for the advice. What would you use for a small container? Or do I have enough time to wait for the drip system? I'm guessing it'll be here sometime next week, but it depends on if all the parts are in stock.

hunterfisher

hunterfisher

don't put them in the same pot
they will interfere with each other rootwise
as far as pots , im a old school soil guy so probably not the best guy to give advice on your method
but I go red solo cup from cloner with holes in bottom

hunterfisher

hunterfisher

you can wait
I find the more roots when I pull them from the cloner the stronger they are

O

od1

Word, thanks. I know you don't want to wait too long though. What would you say is the max timeframe?

hunterfisher

hunterfisher

depends on lots of things
as long as the roots stay white your good
sometimes I get busy and let them go in till they are 16 inch mops
I have to twirl the roots up in the dirt (ready made root ball)
then barely get the roots in a 1 gallon pot
those are the ones that take off sooner and stronger at least for me

O

od1

Alright, I'll check like twice daily to make sure the roots are white.

I had the thought that the Rapid Rooter tray probably has a lot less tray depth compared to your cloner though, so I'm thinking I'll need to move them sooner. If anybody uses a Rapid Rooter tray, let me know your opinion, thanks.

hunterfisher

hunterfisher

im not familiar with your setup
but my cloner has about 3 inches of clearance to the water
and my roots go to the bottom and across the whole thing sometimes
but again im not familiar with your setup

O

od1

I think the Rapid Rooter tray has about 1/4" distance between the outer and insert trays, so I think I should move them now like Bones suggested. I took the humidity dome off awhile ago.

I'll take another picture tonight, and post it. I think the tall seedlings may be slowing down in terms of growth, but I'm not positive.

Top Bottom