Intersex Expression And Tendencies

• Thread starter steezskeez95
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
steezskeez95

steezskeez95

Hey guys,

First post here although I've been following some threads for awhile and people seem to give some great feedback!

Anyways, I'm currently running a new seed run (Strawberry Banana laffy taffy male crossed with legend OG, happy girl (a local cut bright berry x sunshinedaydream) and back to a strawberry banana. They are all F1s so I'm expecting a lot of variance. Interestingly, out of the ten seeds grown, all are now showing pre-flowers, yet all 10 are female. I've never encountered this with regular seeds and would have expected at least a few makes! So I've gotten NO MALE preflowers yet. Just female! Some are putting out more preflowers than others, and some starting showing gender earlier than others.

So, this leads me to think they are not very sexually stable and may sooner than later start busting out some nuts after I've already started flowering. Does anyone have experience with intersex plants that initially show female then at some point start expressing male traits? I know this is common given stress and certain environmental conditions, but in this context it is a bit different. Any thoughts or experience with intersex tendencies with F1s?

Intersex traits in cannabis is super interesting along with the timing of expression, etc.

I uploaded a picture as well. Notice the weird crinkle leaf pheno, that is a marionberry kush pheno not the other crosses mentioned earlier. Most of the plants are the F1s mentioned.

Thanks in advance for your input! Cheers!

Intersex expression and tendencies
oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

i did about 3 grows back,clones of blue dream also incrediable bulk,,i think mine did that because of tweeking in a new growing method,i went from a closet controled envoremnet great setup,to a tent 2x4x5 running forced air,no ac or heat,intake and exhaust wide open,in a utility room were door pretty much stays open during day light hours,in triple digit heat,room stays at 95 as a highest,,so the blue dream were clones and about 3 or 4 weeks in had nobs with 1 hair sticking out,,never became nuts,and smoke is great,just weird as shit plants,couple time i truely thought the bitchs were trying to go back to veg in 12/12 schedule,the incrediable bulk did none of this,crazy ass plant wont run it again,crazy ass spacing,every 1/4 another limb come out,if i had the room i would have grown it out to a christmas tree,impossible to trim too,lol smoke good,plant sucked and you could not keep the bitch feed,but interested to know what you come up with on this one,i just wrote mine up for envorment change and thecnic's,kinda like took some time to get it rocking

xavier7995

xavier7995

All you can really do is fully check any plant you think is questionable a couple times a week. Lollipopping pretty hard is said to help, the herm growth happens on the lower branches most often so clearing that is good. When checking, if you come across just a few pollen sacs you can just pluck them off with tweezers, obviously be careful not to rupture the thing and send pollen everywhere...take plant to a different room and spray it down with water before and after you remove the balls. I kick herms out straight away, but if it is only a very limited number of pollen sacs that show up, some say clones of the herm may grow out fine.

steezskeez95

steezskeez95

Right on thanks for the input! That's interesting about expressing male traits on the lower branches with intersex plants. I'm planning on cleaning up the lower branches anyways so hopefully I get nothing but sensi! Another thought I had was that just out of chance the seeds i picked out happened to express more female traits. I don't know if gender is a predestined trait, but if it is I picked the seeds randomly out of hundreds from the seed run so there definitely is a small probability they were already female.. Getting 10/10 females still seems unlikely picking from a large sample size! Anyways, I'm still not seeing any signs of intersex... only pistils. Lights are on at 13 hours on so I'm about to get the net set up and run a scrog. I've got my fingers crossed nothing herms once the net's set up cause removing that would be unfortunate and mess up the canopy a bit with a scrog. I attached some more pictures of the setup so I'll keep y'all posted. Also, I made a mistake from the genetics... The male was strawnanna berry (strawberry banana X brightberry), not strawberry banana... Crossed with some beautiful greasy purple happy girl plants (brightberry X sunshine daydream). Plants smell like straight rubber berries. Excited to see how the smoke is!

IMG 0908
steezskeez95

steezskeez95

Heres some pictures of the females that got dusted with that strawnanna. The breeder of the strawnanna has said to watch out for intersex... but the phenos I selected were sexually stable with no intersex traits at all.. So the seeing what happens with their progeny will be interesting!

IMG 0183
IMG 0190
IMG 0205
Dunge

Dunge

A statistician could show how 10 of 10 in a 50/50 situation is more common than is intuitive.

Nice plants.

SativaKid

SativaKid

Hey guys,

First post here although I've been following some threads for awhile and people seem to give some great feedback!

Anyways, I'm currently running a new seed run (Strawberry Banana laffy taffy male crossed with legend OG, happy girl (a local cut bright berry x sunshinedaydream) and back to a strawberry banana. They are all F1s so I'm expecting a lot of variance. Interestingly, out of the ten seeds grown, all are now showing pre-flowers, yet all 10 are female. I've never encountered this with regular seeds and would have expected at least a few makes! So I've gotten NO MALE preflowers yet. Just female! Some are putting out more preflowers than others, and some starting showing gender earlier than others.

So, this leads me to think they are not very sexually stable and may sooner than later start busting out some nuts after I've already started flowering. Does anyone have experience with intersex plants that initially show female then at some point start expressing male traits? I know this is common given stress and certain environmental conditions, but in this context it is a bit different. Any thoughts or experience with intersex tendencies with F1s?

Intersex traits in cannabis is super interesting along with the timing of expression, etc.

I uploaded a picture as well. Notice the weird crinkle leaf pheno, that is a marionberry kush pheno not the other crosses mentioned earlier. Most of the plants are the F1s mentioned.

Thanks in advance for your input! Cheers!
It was pollinated by a hermie. And they're feminized seeds.

Top Bottom