Intervals; Fresh weed on a regular schedule

• Thread starter ttystikk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
bloads

bloads

I hear you- have you investigated using a timer and a reservior, to at least cut down on the watering you have to do?

Missed this reply before, sry.

I've just bought 3 27 gallon tough boxes (black), and made a rack for them. I bought 200' of 1/2" tubing, and 200' of 1/4" tubing, a shitload of 1/4" T's, a few 1/2" T's, and a TON of goof plugs.

Going to have 3 different batches of nutes going, with a 1/2" line going off each. From each line, I'll create a bunch of holes to attach 1/4" tubing (which will lead to my individual plants, T'ing off to split 2 hoses onto larger pots). On the holes that I don't need plants, at that moment, I'll plug them with goof plugs.

Not sure if I explained that well enough, I hope I did.

ttystikk

ttystikk

I think I understand what oyu did- you set up three different reserviors for three different sets of nutrients. Makes sense as far as it goes- The trouble with doing oyur setup in an interval kind of way is that now you have to move the mountain to moses- meaning that you're now stuck with altering the environment for the plants that are there, rather than the other way 'round. This means that you do not have the opportunity to gain efficiencies due to sizing your growzone to the needs of each stage. On the other hand, you don't have the opportunity to drop plants and break them, either!

ttystikk

ttystikk

So I'm still working the system, and as promised, I'm posting not only the triumphs, but also the trevails here. My hydro system got too hot- the water went over 80 degrees and did what you'd expect, suffocated my roots. Most of my crops died. Hooking up a chiller and hoping that solves the problem.

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

very interesting stuff, ttystikk. got to several veg stages part which touches on multiple photo periods, a subject I've been exploring lately. haven't read entire thread. will dig in some more. thx- glad u brought this one to the table.

----------------

Read it and will need time to patch it to my neuro-net. any perspective on photo periods and growth stages? BTW I'm in total agreement w/ your perspective on au natural as applied to an indoor grow culture. i'm trying to learn from and emulate nature in the sense that I want to provide the plants w/ nature's optimum conditions during the unique growth stages that I can recognize, but if I'm doing it right, the plants should rarely have it so good in nature, other than the occasional "perfect year" out in a "perfect" forest patch that nature matched up w/ genetics for an optimum grow that expresses the same structure, flavor, potency, size and bag appeal that I am going for.

ttystikk

ttystikk

very interesting stuff, ttystikk. got to several veg stages part which touches on multiple photo periods, a subject I've been exploring lately. haven't read entire thread. will dig in some more. thx- glad u brought this one to the table.

----------------

Read it and will need time to patch it to my neuro-net. any perspective on photo periods and growth stages? BTW I'm in total agreement w/ your perspective on au natural as applied to an indoor grow culture. i'm trying to learn from and emulate nature in the sense that I want to provide the plants w/ nature's optimum conditions during the unique growth stages that I can recognize, but if I'm doing it right, the plants should rarely have it so good in nature, other than the occasional "perfect year" out in a "perfect" forest patch that nature matched up w/ genetics for an optimum grow that expresses the same structure, flavor, potency, size and bag appeal that I am going for.

Good question, and deserving of a more complete answer than to just the specific question you're asking. The whole idea here is to divide up your growth stages into groups with the same number of plants in each one. Depending on the number of stages you use, you'll keep the plants in any given stage for anywhere between a week or two on up to four weeks, the more stages you use, the less time plants will spend in any given one of them. The next thing to coordinate- and it's not as easy as it sounds!- is to make sure you can move all the plants the same day. This allows you to take advantage of Henry Ford's big idea, namely, you bring the assembly line- that is, the product- to the workstation, instead of bringing the work station to the car.

An aside here for those who are car- obsessed, like me; The biggest difference between the Lamborghini Murcielago and the Gallardo isn't any of their components, and the price difference between them is not due to any difference in specification, rather it's the way they're made. The big Murc was built one at a time, with teams of lab coated (seriously, I saw pics!) technicians swarming around the chassis, bolting on parts and getting in each others' way.

The Gallardo, by contrast, was envisioned from the very beginning as Lamborghini's very first sports car built on a modern moving assembly line. Here, the chassis sits on a moving belt which carries the car past each workstation where a guy or two- still wearing labcoats- mounts the specified component. Twenty some-odd workstations later, and voila!- a supercar is born!

Small wonder, then why the baby Lambo was first offered to the public for a piddling $150k while big brother was selling for closer to $350k. No one can tell me that two extra cylinders and a few hard part numbers added up to that kind of coin, no, it was due to the efficiencies gained by building the car on a production line and driving down the time, effort and therefore the cost of building the cars.

The lesson here is the same one; if you build your batch of girls one at a time, you lose a lot of production efficiencies, which drive up your costs and drive down your throughput, and therefore limit your potential earnings.

If, on the other hand, you build many stages that are each customised for that particular stage of the plants' life cycle, not only will you get better results, but they'll be MUCH easier to replicate time and again, leading to bigger yields from the same square footage and inputs, lower costs and consistency improvements that all come from better control over oyur production process.

Think that with all this extra product, you'll have to sacrifice quality? NO WAY, brother- since you experience each stage of your plant's life cycle again and again, you have the opportunity to constantly stay on top of them and see them far more often than a single batch approach, leading to better results, not poorer ones. Which do you think is more manageable; one ten pound crop all at once, or two pounds every two weeks?

Now, to drill down to specifics; if your crop has an eight week blooming cycle, and you want to break your bloom cycle up into four stages, that comes out to two weeks a stage. Make sure all your veg stages take two weeks as well. Now, your freshly cut clones will be ready in two weeks, which will take the place of your rooted clones, which grew and are ready for peak veg, which will then see those go into the first phase of bloom, etc, etc.

I'd keep the lights on 24/7 for the clones and the rooted clones, and then start introducing some dark time for the peak veg, say 6 hours darkness. This will prepare the girls for the time when they begin to see 12 hours of darkness and so when they hit the bloomroom, they'll be ready!

If you're trying to grow fewer, larger plants, then add more stages to your veg. This gives them time to get big and you time to trim and train them to shape so that once they bud, they'll provide the maximum return on your valuable investment of time, effort, inputs and real estate.

I think that potentially the best way to utilize this concept is in the nutrients- if you're moving plants from one regime to another, especially in hydro, then you can fine tune the nutes in each stage. Progressively stronger veg nutes in each stage approaching the first bloom phase, then in the first stage of bloom they get not only bloom nutes but also bud initiators and so on. Each stage through the bloom cycle can have a specific mix, concentration of base nutes and a unique formula of additives tailored just for the plants at that stage.

Again, repeatability is key- since you're doing the same thing with the same strains over and over, you'll begin to see what works and what doesn't. You'll also get really good at noticing when things look off and be able to respond before things get out of hand. This is the key to consistency and repeatability- and those, as nearly any millionaire will tell you- are the keys to success!

O

OneRedCup

A small, consistent, manageable crop every few weeks that you and perhaps a friend or two can easily handle yourselves, or long stretches of dry wait time, and then calling every live body you can think of to handle the peak times of massive harvest, with all the stress that goes with it? Which would you rather plan for?

^^^
This is exactly why I run a perpetual flower room. Would you rather trim 2-4 plants or 36 plants at a time? Trimming is the least favorite part for me. Especially for multiple days. I prefer to break it up into smaller batches of trimming.

And I am looking into Blumats for automating some of my watering. Another advantage of Super Soil is that everything is premixed and all I have to do is add water, no matter what stage the plant is in.

Plus, with a perpetual room, you can run multiple strains. When they are done, they get replaced in the flower room. No rushing anyone. Variety is the spice of life.

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

I like the control and order aspects of your approach and agree w/ the rationale supporting the auto assembly line metaphor that you've used.

It wouldn't work well for me- not because I see a fault in the system you're proposing, but rather my inherent inability to fit into it which can be explained in several ways- strong right brain hemisphere dominance, add, artistic temperament, etc. My grow rooms, motley and diverse as they may appear, have a definite order to them, even if I'm the only one who can see it. lol

You stated that this system may not be right for everyone, and I'm offering myself/method/madness as an example, not as an alternate, better way of doing things. I may, however, be able to glean something out of your well thought out program that could help me w/ mine. ie add a partition to one or more of my rooms, add additional info to markers to keep "grow groups" a bit more defined.

ttystikk

ttystikk

I like the control and order aspects of your approach and agree w/ the rationale supporting the auto assembly line metaphor that you've used.

It wouldn't work well for me- not because I see a fault in the system you're proposing, but rather my inherent inability to fit into it which can be explained in several ways- strong right brain hemisphere dominance, add, artistic temperament, etc. My grow rooms, motley and diverse as they may appear, have a definite order to them, even if I'm the only one who can see it. lol

You stated that this system may not be right for everyone, and I'm offering myself/method/madness as an example, not as an alternate, better way of doing things. I may, however, be able to glean something out of your well thought out program that could help me w/ mine. ie add a partition to one or more of my rooms, add additional info to markers to keep "grow groups" a bit more defined.

The approach I'm talking about here definitely isn't for everyone- it's a pretty regimented way of doing things, more oriented at production than experimentation. That said, when early results of experiements need to be validated against baseline results, having a highly ordered setup drives down the number of variables that could be playing with your results.

At the very least, keep good notes on your grow groups- it will soon become apparent that seemingly minor differences like keeping them in veg for a few extra days can lead to surprisingly big differences in final results. The only way to know is to start documenting everything- otherwise where will you know to look for causes when something goes badly wrong- or awesomely right?

ttystikk

ttystikk

^^^
This is exactly why I run a perpetual flower room. Would you rather trim 2-4 plants or 36 plants at a time? Trimming is the least favorite part for me. Especially for multiple days. I prefer to break it up into smaller batches of trimming.

And I am looking into Blumats for automating some of my watering. Another advantage of Super Soil is that everything is premixed and all I have to do is add water, no matter what stage the plant is in.

Plus, with a perpetual room, you can run multiple strains. When they are done, they get replaced in the flower room. No rushing anyone. Variety is the spice of life.

Totally- there are lots of different ways to break things into more manageable pieces, and running multiple strains on their own tracdk is just as valid as any other approach, since it is responsive to the strains' needs.

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

At the very least, keep good notes on your grow groups- it will soon become apparent that seemingly minor differences like keeping them in veg for a few extra days can lead to surprisingly big differences in final results. The only way to know is to start documenting everything- otherwise where will you know to look for causes when something goes badly wrong- or awesomely right?
Thanks for the good advice. Maybe it will sink in and manifest itself in the form of action this time. One can only hope. In any case, I find reading about the way you're breaking things down to be more interesting than one w/ my apparent difference in style would expect. :yes

I have the ability to make comparisons and am continuously making adjustments here and there that work most, but not all of the time, however, my sample size and controls fall well short of your model. Whether by design or choice, I don't see myself destined to be a big production guy but do have some friends who are doing it.> PS ed note: <and thank gawd i do, otherwise, where/who would I get most of my genetics from? rwLOL

Thanks for your nickel and the $250 that I saved at the shrinks office this week, (that is if I had a free $250 or whatever it is they get for a half hour tops and med mgmt these days. shrinks have been screwed by the hc system/structure, too.<- not being cynical-seriously)

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
You will need:

A very large room with a concrete floor (relative to the amount of plants and size you wish to grow).

Lots of lumber or steel and drywall to divide the very large room in to 8 or 9 smaller ones (or however many weeks you are running)

Custom built tables with casters and custom over sized doors, so you can move the whole table full of plants (Pick your grow style). pocket doors would be perfect.

Multi zone mini splits.

Lots of extra equipment that you normally only need one set of (dosers, reservoirs, fans, etc)

A lot of patience to dial this system in for a specific strain.

Good luck farmer! I am sure if you pull it off, you will see results.

ttystikk

ttystikk

You will need:

A very large room with a concrete floor (relative to the amount of plants and size you wish to grow).

Lots of lumber or steel and drywall to divide the very large room in to 8 or 9 smaller ones (or however many weeks you are running)

Custom built tables with casters and custom over sized doors, so you can move the whole table full of plants (Pick your grow style). pocket doors would be perfect.

Multi zone mini splits.

Lots of extra equipment that you normally only need one set of (dosers, reservoirs, fans, etc)

A lot of patience to dial this system in for a specific strain.

Good luck farmer! I am sure if you pull it off, you will see results.

Well, not so much. Not so much space, for one... after all, you can group the stages together into zones where the lighting type and duration are similar, ie. clones and youngsters in one spot, veg in another and bloom in a third.

Not so much space is required, either- I've seen this effectively done in a bedroom or two. In fact, this is very space efficient, since you're not wasting all the space you need for a large grow on small plants for most of their life cycle!

Third, You won't need more air handling gear than you'd ordinarily need for a given size space with given lighting.

Keep in mind that each stage can have a relatively small number of plants- hell, even really big grows can do fine with less than 50 plants per stage. This means that each stage is only as big as it needs to be, AND that each stage is sized so that it's within a couple weeks or so of being full- much less wasted space this way!

ttystikk

ttystikk

In the October 2011 issue of High Times, beginning on page 64, is the article titled, 'Non-Stop Crop', which goes into some detail about exactly the kind of interval gardening I'm describing in this thread. Vindication? Maybe or maybe not, but it's nice to know others are out there thinking along similar lines as myself.

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

"Vindication"? From what? For being, at least, 2 mos ahead of the curve? :cool0010:
It's a tough paradigm to crack. Rock on brother.

ttystikk

ttystikk

"Vindication"? From what? For being, at least, 2 mos ahead of the curve? :cool0010:
It's a tough paradigm to crack. Rock on brother.

Yeah, 2 months on this thread- and I'll raise you another 25 years of hard work and trial and error to be an 'overnight success'. How come you feel the need to piss in my planter, bro?

ttystikk

ttystikk

Anyway, it's a good article- a fine primer on the ins and outs of building an assembly line style grow operation.

I like how the author went out of his way to be inclusive of growing styles, since the concept is equally amenable to soil, hydro or what have you, as long as you keep it consistent.

My favorite part of this method is that you get much better feedback on what's going right and wrong in each part of your grow operation since you're doing each iteration every couple weeks or so. This is not to be underestimated, because the difference between beginner's luck and consistent, professional results is the experience gained from fine tuning a setup- any setup.

ttystikk

ttystikk

I don't know how interested people are here in reducing costs and minimizing their environmental footprint, but this style of grow is an excellent for meeting both of these goals. For instance, I don't use rockwool or any other non-reusable substrate- I run my starts with an easy cloner, and then transplant into hydroton (expanded clay pellets) for the rest of the journey. Nothing is wasted, and nothing is thrown away.

My own choice of growing method is rdwc in 5 gallon buckets, with 8" net bucket lids. To get the plant shape I want, I top, train and tie down the branches, tying the string through holes drilled into the sides of each net pot. This way, I can pick up the bucket lid and the whole plant, along with its tie downs, comes along, all in one easy to carry piece. I can do an entire stage move, all 8 stages, in less than half an hour. I like the SCROG method and it's definitiely less of a pain in the ass than tying individual branches down, but I have yet to come up with a solid, stable way to do it that will move with the plant from stage to stage.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Sorry. That didn't come out right. Believe it or not, my post ^ was honestly meant as a compliment, ie you're ahead of the curve- you beat High Times to the punch- you hit the deadline before they got their article published. "Rock On" was meant @ face value, ie keep on truckin...not as sarcasm. I'm on your side, bro, but can see how my choice of words could lead you to think otherwise, so your misunderstanding of my meaning is understood.

Thanks brother, now I'm glad I came to my senses and edited my one-up pissing contest reply. I woulda felt twice as much of an asshole as I do now...

Thanks also for the compliment- I came up with this idea on my own when growing in soil 5 gallon nursery cans some 25 years ago... and when I got busted, the cops testified that it was 'the most sophisticated growing operation they'd ever seen.' Which was quite the compliment, even if it was meant to try to get me more jailtime!

So yeah, I've earned my stripes, paid my dues, and now I want to be able to use my skills in the service of others without the criminal police state on my back anymore. Ask me how I really feel...

ttystikk

ttystikk

Remember, it's a free country, IF you're willing to do only what you're told!

Top Bottom