Introducing myself with a few questions.

• Thread starter Organic13
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
O

Organic13

I just started 8 seeds for outdoor growing. I'm in zone 6. I don't have an indoor set up. All 8 of my seeds germinated. I have only grown from clones outdoors in the past. I do know the risk of growing feom seed (making sure you remove the males ASAP). I've tried to search for some info, but I'm not finding my answers. I just placed the sprouts in some vermiculite, perlite, and a little bit of compost & worm castings. I don't want to burn my plants up with too many nutrients. I got the strand Rockstar from a grower I know out in Cali. If I'm missing any info that would be useful to help me, let me know.

How cold is too cold for these tiny sprouts?

Can I place them in the garage (zero light) overnight when it is cooler?

How much room should I give each plant when they have been hardened off and ready to go in the ground?

Does anyone know if they are juglone tolerant? I have a few black walnuts that make it almost impossible for me to garden on that side of my yard, with the exception of juglone tolerant veggies.

Thank you in advance for any advice or links that may be helpful for me.

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

I SW Ontario. Used to plant May 24 but found it's still a little cool most years. I find Planting June first to be ideal for my location as the ground is just a little warmer. My plants don't come up then run into bad weather for 2 weeks. They just come up into sunshine. Take off and grow with very little chance of frost.

Sounds like you need to figure out the best time to plant. Then start cracking seed accordingly.
I crack seed and drop autos direct into big pots. I start photos. Crack seed 3 weeks early, start them in African violet pots, transplant 2 week old seedlings into large pots outdoors.
Check out Garden like a Viking.

O

Organic13

I SW Ontario. Used to plant May 24 but found it's still a little cool most years. I find Planting June first to be ideal for my location as the ground is just a little warmer. My plants don't come up then run into bad weather for 2 weeks. They just come up into sunshine. Take off and grow with very little chance of frost.

Sounds like you need to figure out the best time to plant. Then start cracking seed accordingly.
I crack seed and drop autos direct into big pots. I start photos. Crack seed 3 weeks early, start them in African violet pots, transplant 2 week old seedlings into large pots outdoors.
Check out Garden like a Viking.
Thank you. I will check out YouTube video.

My last frost date was yesterday, but it is still too cold in the evenings. I just wasn't sure what is too cold for them. Knowing that would help me determine best time to put out. I'm hopeful to have a greenhouse next year.

I soaked my seeds, then put them in a paper towel. This was just a couple days ago. Again, I've only ever used clones in the past and my plants were much more mature before being exposed to elements.

I garden plenty of plants/flowers from seed. I guess I don't fret over my veggies and flowers like I am these plants.

I have orchid pots, but not african violet pots. I will check into your suggestions. Again, thank you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom