Iphones and Geo-Tagging

• Thread starter Chobble
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Chobble

Chobble

A member recently told me he had been completely ripped off and lost all his plants. He also offered to send me a picture from his Iphone. I wanted to make a quick post regarding to pictures from your smart phones your safety, and your gardens safety.

Iphones particularly have a built in function called "Geo-Tagging" it tags every picture you take with GPS coordinates to the exact location where you took this picture. Any person can then run this through a geo-tagging program and find the exact GPS coordinates of your garden or wherever your picture was taken. Then you can put this cords into Google maps and get directions.

I didn't know if I should post this or not, but I feel like its important to get this knowledge out to the community as I've personally been worried about rippers using it against me. (Thus why I use a camera instead of my phone)

Chobble

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Some new cameras are GPS enabled as well. No matter what type of camera you use, make sure you strip all the identifying info (gps, camera model, serial, settings, etc) from the photos. Lots of programs will do this. Apparently this happens here upon upload, but I like to do this myself.

outwest

Chobble

Chobble

Some new cameras are GPS enabled as well. No matter what type of camera you use, make sure you strip all the identifying info (gps, camera model, serial, settings, etc) from the photos. Lots of programs will do this. Apparently this happens here upon upload, but I like to do this myself.

outwest

I ran a few pictures through my geo-tagging program and still got coordinates. So I dont know if thats true.

Chobble

Top Bottom