Irene ???

• Thread starter tokinblackguy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
tokinblackguy

tokinblackguy

anyone ever heard of this strain? couple friends come across some smoke of it every now and then and ask if i've ever heard of it. i think it's possibly rene just based on name but i have never smoked any rene. they insist their connect says it's "irene". smokes like the commercial kush/purp we get round these parts, very floral, nasaly(sp), real nice frost, almost white. any clue as to what it is or has anyone else smoked/heard of this one?

mr. chunky nugz

mr. chunky nugz

i believe there is an "irene" og cut.. i may be wrong tho

manicgrower

manicgrower

Premium Member
Supporter
Irene is an OG cut.As far as the background of her, I dont want to start a sling fest so Ill leave it be:)........

hubcap

hubcap

i believe there is an "irene" og cut.. i may be wrong tho

...what a surprise....

rene, to me, didnt really live up to the hype. it was very tasty and smelled really good, but, i recall, turning the whole crop to hash.....fwiw...
some really like it. i suppose like anything else...its the pheno.

tokinblackguy

tokinblackguy

thanks for the info gents. makes sense that its related to the kushes, smokes similar, but i never really get high from it. everyone else seems to love. i think alot of times, folks confuse great taste and smell with potency, at least around here they do.

S

S4v

Hmm

There's an Irene Kush from the Dirty South. It was found as bagseed of some Unknown K from LA. There are few different cuts, (multiple bagseed) but the one i know of is very close to the Uknown K that it was found in. She's been held for years by the same group of people in the Dirty

It's the only confirmed Irene Kush that i know of

manicgrower

manicgrower

Premium Member
Supporter
Hey S4v, good to see ya here!Wheres Grohard at?

S

S4v

GROHARD is definitely around - lurking mainly. Not on the boards too much now because every time he opens his mouth, he gets in trouble. That's the price you pay for keeping it 100 :fighting0087:

manicgrower

manicgrower

Premium Member
Supporter
GROHARD is definitely around - lurking mainly. Not on the boards too much now because every time he opens his mouth, he gets in trouble. That's the price you pay for keeping it 100 :fighting0087:

Very True :fighting0087:

E

eckush

whatup s4v, where you been bro? good to see you around..when youre back up and running pm me..

tokinblackguy

tokinblackguy

anyone care to clue me in as to the story behind this cut. seems not alot have heard of it on the boards, but im on the east coast and i have so i was curious. and i did kinda start the thread, how does irene comapare to the other cali kushes tastewise, smokewise, yield. i've only smoked what i was told was kush so i honestly can't compare, everyone says kush and it all taste similar but you could tell some samples were better than others. i attributed it to a bad grow or some kind of kush-hybrid and not authentic. honestly, i can't tell the difference between what they call irene and what they call kush, it all taste so similar but never as good as when we first started getting it here in bulk back in 05'-06'

even though i've never smoked an authentic cali kush, i'm pretty sure what we're getting here now is a hybrid of some sort. either i'm burned out, or the high just doesn't do it for me.

S

S4v

I'm chopping her down soon. I can comment on the smell, look, and the way she grows. She grows slow, similar to bubba. Structure is a mix of both. Nodes are not as far apart as og, and the leaves are kinda fat but in no way are they 'Cabbage'd Out' like bub. She'd fit very well in Bubba/GDP program.

The smell is this sour funk that's similar to og.. Maybe less Lemon. I have 3 differen't og's in that room and there's a similarity to em all but Irene goes more in the sour direction. She's greasy as hell also. I have her close to 9 weeks, been flushing for 2, and her tops are turning purple. Didn't expect that but it's a pleasant surprise :banana:

Yield wise she's like a sturdy, slightly fatter og. Seems to have the same og denseness as well. I'll try to take some shots at chop time for you guys

tokinblackguy

tokinblackguy

I'll try to take some shots at chop time for you guys

please do, and thanks for taking the time to provide some info. was the cut hard to locate/obtain? i figure it must be close me and might not be too hard to track down.

pugliese63

pugliese63

Wanted to give this thread a bump.

Been a while since I've been on the boards. Recently noticed that Archive Seeds used the Irene to make RudeBoi OG.

S4v thanks for sharing your experience. The Irene sounds like it can be a solid producer for an OG. Would be interested in hearing other growers opinions regarding Irene.

Thanks in advance for any input.

zeke

zeke

I heard that the Irene was an Iranian something or other. Sort of makes sense.

Nspecta

Nspecta

Breeder
Recently noticed that Archive Seeds used the Irene to make RudeBoi OG. Would be interested in hearing other growers opinions regarding Irene.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Irene has her pro's and con's...I have a full 4'x4' bed of her right now, two weeks into flower, that I spent last night picking hundreds of balls off of...to her credit I was also picking balls off Purple Dawg & a handful of various OG cuts. I've also had Bubba, SourD, Chemdawgs, Etc., etc. do the same thing at one time or another...so it's really just another day in the jungle. :jimlad:

With that out of the way...I will say, Irene is one of my absolute favorite smokes out there...the piney dank mouthcoating flavor is so greasy. Irene smells & tastes very very similar to some old 80's Kush hybrids that we grew around the Emerald Triangle back in the day...everyone who smokes her round here double takes and is like "Is that that old shit" On a final note...for the last two years I've been smoking outdoor Irene all winter long...it's my go to jar almost every time...just my own personal preference though. :woot:

Here's an 8' beast of Irene on September 13th about a month or so before she was chopped down...sadly got to busy to take pics come October. o_O

IreneSept13th

pugliese63

pugliese63

Irene has her pro's and con's...I have a full 4'x4' bed of her right now, two weeks into flower, that I spent last night picking hundreds of balls off of...to her credit I was also picking balls off Purple Dawg & a handful of various OG cuts. I've also had Bubba, SourD, Chemdawgs, Etc., etc. do the same thing at one time or another...so it's really just another day in the jungle. :jimlad:

With that out of the way...I will say, Irene is one of my absolute favorite smokes out there...the piney dank mouthcoating flavor is so greasy. Irene smells & tastes very very similar to some old 80's Kush hybrids that we grew around the Emerald Triangle back in the day...everyone who smokes her round here double takes and is like "Is that that old shit" On a final note...for the last two years I've been smoking outdoor Irene all winter long...it's my go to jar almost every time...just my own personal preference though. :woot:

Here's an 8' beast of Irene on September 13th about a month or so before she was chopped down...sadly got to busy to take pics come October. o_O

View attachment 379418

Thanks for the very informative reply. That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. As far as picking balls I understand completely.

I've been longing for exactly what you describe. She sounds like a real winner for sure. I live down South and may keep an eye out for her. I need some Greasy Piney Dank.

Nice pic, I'm sure she was quite a looker in October.

Thanks again for the info.

obsoul33t

obsoul33t

IBL
i have run irene 3 x now and never a nut sack in sight ... igt you 100% positive there are no leaks ? you know i ain't questioning your skill but recently i added a new mini split in a room and mid way through flower the girl tried to revert and i found that the everytime the mini split turned on or off the front led display turned on grrr so shit happens , funny thing is irene was in that room and even though it tried to reveg it never threw balls ..

speaking of irene you know how it has that weird growth characteristic where the laterals grew up the stalks i just found a male with the exact same characteristic out of an og hybrid ... should make an interesting combo

Nspecta

Nspecta

Breeder
@true grit~ I'm really not sure if it's an evironmental thing...Temps were stable at 75-80 degrees, humidity was solid between 50-70%...the beds didn't get to dry or to wet. No light leaks anywhere. Something was a trigger though...and the only thing I can think of new in the room was the use of Pure Protein fish powder...but why would some fish cause that...the plants didn't look overfertilized...no burnt tips or nothing at the time. I did notice that the smaller runtier plants had ten times more balls than the bigger more vigourous ones...but all the Irene's had balls to some extent. I didn't wait around to find out if they were fertile balls or sterile...and...I've grown Irene at least a half dozen or so times now and this is the first time I've seen balls on 'er.

@Obsoul33t~ I think it was a different trigger man...no light leaks at all...I had the same problem with Purple Dawg & I've had PD do it before. This run I planted 36 per bed and gave 'em a week of veg...last year I did the same thing and Purple Dawg hung a bunch of balls too. Any ideas what could be the trigger...causing the ball droppin?

That'd be cool if you could isolate that mutant trait man...what OG hybrid did you find it in?

Latest posts

Top Bottom