Iron chelates and PH vs availability

• Thread starter cemchris
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Just putting some info out there for when you are reading the back of a bottle and don't really understand what all of it means when it comes to the micro's. Something to consider when dealing with soil vs hydro. Iron and calcium interact with each other. Good to understand if using calcium supps or nute mixes and feeding.

Medium PH/Nute pH - common ones used in our industry

• Citric Acid - Not effective above PH 6.0. Weakest of all of them
  • EDTA ( Ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid ) - Solid till PH 6.0. Half unavailable at PH 6.5. PH 7.0 almost none is available
  • DTPA (Diethylenetriaminepentaacetic acid) - Solid till PH 7.0. 60% becomes unavailable by PH 8.0
  • EDDHA (Ethylenediamine di(o-hydroxyphenylacetic acid)) - Strongest of all of them. Iron available past PH 9.0

BillFarthing

BillFarthing

Supporter
I was talking to the owner of Mr. Fulvic. They have 6 types of chelated iron in their product.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
I was talking to the owner of Mr. Fulvic. They have 6 types of chelated iron in their product.

From what I understand EDDHA isnt used too often cause its pretty expensive compared to the others and good for a range we don't usually grow in. Something like up to 11.

I mean prob the best approach to it to cover all the bases and all the PH ranges. Did they give you a reasoning for it?

BillFarthing

BillFarthing

Supporter
From what I understand EDDHA isnt used too often cause its pretty expensive compared to the others and good for a range we don't usually grow in. Something like up to 11.

I mean prob the best approach to it to cover all the bases and all the PH ranges. Did they give you a reasoning for it?

There are natural iron chelates in their fulvic acid, not simple complexors like citric acid or synthetic chelators like EDDHA. Iron can bind to all amino acids. There is also iron sulfate, iron sulfide, iron humates and iron fulvates.

Latest posts

Top Bottom