Irrigation Hydraulic Issues

• Thread starter SMG
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

SMG

I'm trying to automate my flower room. I have 18 plants in 7 gal coco pots. I purchased 9" Hydro Hat drippers, one for each plant.
I have a 55 gal reservoir with a 1000gph pump pushing the water through 5/8" ID hose. from the pump it splits into a closed loop. I have reducers going from the 5/8" main loop to 1/2" whips that then split with a 4 way into the 1/2" rain rings. So, 6 tables, each with three plants on it.
The problem is that I'm not getting a remotely even flow to each plant. All of the whips and lines to the drippers are the same length and relatively sitting at the same height trying to avoid any slack in the lines. I figured the 1000gph pump would be more than enough to charge the line quickly and create an even flow to each plant, but after several attempts it is extremely inconsistent.
Am I missing something here? I'm about ready to throw a plant across the room!!

RR1

RR1

Throw some small valves in strategic spots to regulate flow. Water and air both follow path of least resistance. You may just have to add a little resistance here or there to even out the pressure.

S

SMG

I have ball valves on each of the 6 whips that feed the 4 way cross. I've messed with those in different ways but it doesn't help the pressure. I've been doing some more reading and it seems that my 1000gph pump has a PSI of around 4.7. I'm thinking a higher pressure pump would create more back pressure?

scubascrog

scubascrog

get pressure regulating emitter tips if your manifold doesnt already do it. or if you are using tubes you need equal lengths and elevations.

S

SMG

get pressure regulating emitter tips if your manifold doesnt already do it. or if you are using tubes you need equal lengths and elevations.
I am using rain rings, so can't use the pressure regulating emitter tips. Everything is equal length and equal elevation.

RR1

RR1

That’s why I like ebb and flow buckets.
If I have this right, you are flowing into all your plants, then gravity runs h2o back to your Rez. But your flow to your plants is not even. For constant dripping into your plants a little uneven is ok, as long as all plants get enough.
They don’t all have to flow like Niagara Falls, as long as all get enough.
Play a little, you should have enough flow. You may end up having to split your main in 2 directions, then split into drippers.
Keep playing, and don’t throw any plants. They hate that.
RR1

S

SMG

If I have this right, you are flowing into all your plants, then gravity runs h2o back to your Rez. But your flow to your plants is not even. For constant dripping into your plants a little uneven is ok, as long as all plants get enough.
Play a little, you should have enough flow. You may end up having to split your main in 2 directions, then split into drippers.
RR1
I guess I should have detailed that this isn't really a drip system because it isn't constant. I feed 35-50 gallons and would like to split this into two feedings in the 12 hour photoperiod. So, the timer turns the pump on, feeds half the plants, and then repeats the process 6 hours later.
Am I going about this the right way?
And yes, they don't like to be thrown, nor does my back!

RR1

RR1

I guess I should have detailed that this isn't really a drip system because it isn't constant. I feed 35-50 gallons and would like to split this into two feedings in the 12 hour photoperiod. So, the timer turns the pump on, feeds half the plants, and then repeats the process 6 hours later.
Am I going about this the right way?
And yes, they don't like to be thrown, nor does my back!
Sorry, don’t know enough about coco to know if that’s enough feeding. I use rock wool and hydroton and flood 3x in twelve hours. Stays well oxygenated, and they grow like crazy.
Sounds complicated to do half, then the other half. Any way to do all at once?
Less steps makes life easier. I am sometimes out of town for a week, so mine is completely automated, including adding ph balance water to rez as needed.
Can run 14 days without any attention. (Though I usually don’t)
Sorry I can’t be more help.
Keep working the problem, you’ll get it.
RR1

scubascrog

scubascrog

first of all. 7 gallon coco pots? how are you feeding every day to multiple times a day? thats the only upside to coco from what i've heard. i transplant up 3x to make sure my roots are filling the pot getting ready for multiple feedings a day. you do NOT want a constant drip. this isnt NFT.
next. ditch the hose. you need pvc if you want even flow to that many plants.
check my system how it recirculates back into my reservoir. no standing water in my system EVER.

S

SMG

Sorry, don’t know enough about coco to know if that’s enough feeding. I use rock wool and hydroton and flood 3x in twelve hours. Stays well oxygenated, and they grow like crazy.
Sounds complicated to do half, then the other half. Any way to do all at once?
Less steps makes life easier. I am sometimes out of town for a week, so mine is completely automated, including adding ph balance water to rez as needed.
Can run 14 days without any attention. (Though I usually don’t)
Sorry I can’t be more help.
Keep working the problem, you’ll get it.
RR1

I feed them anywhere from 35 to 50 gallons every 2 days, depending on where they are in their life. Coco should stay moist or at least never dry out, so I imagine that is much like the rock wool. How do you automate your ph in the reservoir? What about nutes?
That's pretty sweet that you can leave the plants for that long!

S

SMG

RR1

It's drain to waste, so I don't recycle the runoff.

S

SMG

first of all. 7 gallon coco pots? how are you feeding every day to multiple times a day? thats the only upside to coco from what i've heard. i transplant up 3x to make sure my roots are filling the pot getting ready for multiple feedings a day. you do NOT want a constant drip. this isnt NFT.
next. ditch the hose. you need pvc if you want even flow to that many plants.
check my system how it recirculates back into my reservoir. no standing water in my system EVER.

S

SMG

Right now, and for a year, I've been feeding/flushing every other day based on the runoff. You can't really over water with coco, so it's ok to put the water to it.
I feed a lot to the plant when it's feeding time, my goal is to stretch out the feeds so the plant doesn't get a blast of water every two days.
That's the reason for automation, because I don't want to be feeding one of my rooms at 1 am and then again at 6 am!

Latest posts

Top Bottom