Irrigation sickle flow problems help!

• Thread starter MeanGreen420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
The easiest way would be to just make sure the outlets are high enough to keep them from siphoning out of the reservoir. Most people go through a lengthy trial and error, trying to fine tune their automatic watering systems or hydroponics.

MeanGreen420

MeanGreen420

Just gonna get a bigger pump and run a manifold with a high rise stake to be above my reservoir guys. Maybe that'll take care of all the problems.

PK1

PK1

Supporter
I had the same issue and got a bigger pump and then found out that i didn't need a bigger pump. 160 was more than enough.
Instead i got a quarter inch pvc connected to the pump and the other end to a Orbit 2-Port Full-Flow Inline Drip-Lock Manifold. than i had my lines going from the 2 port to each plant. The lines had a valve "the white and blue" which adjusted each lines flow. I got all of it from home depot irrigation section.

2022 01 27 084715
2022 01 26 211741

MeanGreen420

MeanGreen420

That's awesome
I had the same issue and got a bigger pump and then found out that i didn't need a bigger pump. 160 was more than enough.
Instead i got a quarter inch pvc connected to the pump and the other end to a Orbit 2-Port Full-Flow Inline Drip-Lock Manifold. than i had my lines going from the 2 port to each plant. The lines had a valve "the white and blue" which adjusted each lines flow. I got all of it from home depot irrigation section.

View attachment 1236126 View attachment 1236127
That's awesome Bubba I'm headed there this evening. Gonna grab a 4 port adjustable orbit. Does your 2 port have a pressure regulator? To even the flow? Or is the full flow un regulated and your adjusting with the valves?

Reactions: PK1
PK1

PK1

Supporter
That's awesome

That's awesome Bubba I'm headed there this evening. Gonna grab a 4 port adjustable orbit. Does your 2 port have a pressure regulator? To even the flow? Or is the full flow un regulated and your adjusting with the valves?
the full flow is un regulated until they get to the valves of the lines. Here is a picture of my line setup.

phxazcraig

phxazcraig

The easiest way would be to just make sure the outlets are high enough to keep them from siphoning out of the reservoir. Most people go through a lengthy trial and error, trying to fine tune their automatic watering systems or hydroponics.
No, the easiest way is to prevent the siphon in the first place.

I figured this out after having siphon issues from my tall-ish reservoir in a DTW system. My reservoir water level was up to a 18 inches above my drip level, and it would siphon all 18 inches out at first.

So - I figured to break a siphon, you need a hole to let air in. Logic dictates:
1. small hole, or you don't get water flowing past it.
2. has to be above highest water level in the reservoir
3. has to be inside (or right above) the reservoir.

So, I have a 1/2 inch line coming up from the pump at the bottom of the reservoir and going over the side of the reservoir. The place to put a small hole would be in that tube, just inside the reservoir and at the top. So I took a pointy tool and poked a little hole in the tube. Since I have a drip irrigation system outside, I happened to have some left-over 1gph flag drip emitters, so I stuck on into the tube. But all I needed was the hole.

And it works like a champ! A few drips come out and fall back into the reservoir while the pump is running, and you can hear the air sucking in when the pump shuts off.

Looks like this:

20220313 095813
20220313 095822

MeanGreen420

MeanGreen420

I figured this out after having siphon issues from my tall-ish reservoir in a DTW system. My reservoir water level was up to a 18 inches above my drip level, and it would siphon all 18 inches out at first.

So - I figured to break a siphon, you need a hole to let air in. Logic dictates:
1. small hole, or you don't get water flowing past it.
2. has to be above highest water level in the reservoir
3. has to be inside (or right above) the reservoir.

So, I have a 1/2 inch line coming up from the pump at the bottom of the reservoir and going over the side of the reservoir. The place to put a small hole would be in that tube, just inside the reservoir and at the top. So I took a pointy tool and poked a little hole in the tube. Since I have a drip irrigation system outside, I happened to have some left-over 1gph flag drip emitters, so I stuck on into the tube. But all I needed was the hole.

And it works like a champ! A few drips come out and fall back into the reservoir while the pump is running, and you can hear the air sucking in when the pump shuts off.

Looks like this:

View attachment 1236131View attachment 1236132
I did same thing except on smaller scale. High rise stakes in a 7 gallon pot should suffice my 27 gallon hdx tote.

MeanGreen420

MeanGreen420

Pressure compensating button dripper with check valve seems to be the real mvp

MeanGreen420

MeanGreen420

Your friend has shared a link to a Home Depot product they think you would be interested in seeing:

DIG1 GPH Self Flushing Pressure Compensating Dripper with Check Valve
/p/DIG-1-GPH-Self-Flushing-Pressure-Compensating-Dripper-with-Check-Valve-PC-CV-1/206438196

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter

Lol, that's literally what I said. But ok.

Go ahead and cut a hole and have water spray everywhere and ruin the hose or you could just raise the plants off the floor a little so they are above the water line in your reservoir - shouldn't be hard those totes are small. Won't make the siphon in the first place. Don't be lazy and let hoses run down to the floor and back up to your plants. Tie them up or cut them to the appropriate length so there's no slack. Unless you live in a trailer and have absolutely no room between plants and lights, this should be an easy fix.

Last edited:
sportyridr

sportyridr

That's what I'm doing but a pvc stand. Waiting on new pump. This 160 barely pushing water out manifold and stuff.

Right on, I was a bit late to this party but getting the pressure reg fixed my issues...my pump is 480gph...pvc is in the future when I get larger tent I think...anyways...lookin good...carry on :)

Top Bottom