Irrigation System Help, Pump Sizing

• Thread starter mncher
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

mncher

Ive been hand watering 5 gallon buckets for year's with a small pump and wand and decided to make life a little easier and build an irrigation system... I'm tired of crawling around in there.

I used 1" pvc and made a loop, it's appx 15'x4' with 22 sites. Rather than 1/4" line I've seen others use I decided to go with 1/2" lines and 1/2" adjustable valves at each site because im using 5 gallon buckets. My system looks like the one in the pic.

My problem is picking the correct pump, my only experience with pumps is with my little eco plus pump ive been using with a wand...and its definitely not big enough to do the job.

Knowing my little 300gph fountain pump wouldn't do the job I picked up a flotec 1300 gph sump pump from home depot thinking it would give me enough pressure that all sites would water equally. The sump pump didnt work very well, there was no consistency from one site to the next and the flow out of each line was pretty weak.

After doing a little reading I think I need a mag drive pump? I was thinking about getting a danner submersible 1200 or 1800gph pump...I guess theyll give me the psi that I need?

Any help or suggestions on a pump is appreciated

Btw the pump will be sitting in a 55 gallon rez in a room above my flower room and plumbed through the floor into the flower room.

Irrigation system help pump sizing
S

Seed Buyer

I never build halos like yours instead I would have done two runs and capped each end. This builds pressure in the system. With your design water will take the path of least resistance and circle around the halo instead of coming out the drip lines. If you are not using pressure compensate drip emitters than a high psi pump is not needed. If using pressure compensated drip blisters than you will need about 30 psi to push them. If you have not glues the pvc I would remove the perpendicular piece on the end and trade those elbows out for end caps.

Latest posts

Top Bottom