is a 15 gallon cloth pot enough for one plant when it gets huge?

• Thread starter HedgedAndLevered
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
HedgedAndLevered

HedgedAndLevered

Growing a Jack Herer autoflower, did some LST, kept to a good schedule with Nectar From the Gods, mychorrizae and other good stuff in the tea.... got some good weather... and my plant got pretty huge. Estimating maybe 10-14 ounces once this is done. Its day 83, probably one or two more weeks before I harvest.
Thing is, I planted this in a 15 gallon cloth pot, which may not be enough?
Last time I watered, the water really sat on top for a while. Figured the dirt was just too saturated so gave it a few days to dry out. Had a little drizzle and kinda humid days. Yesterday was 80, sunny, and not humid. I just checked to see if the dirt was wet and... could not penetrate the upper layer of dirt easily. Is it possible that the roots are just absolutely covering every cubic inch of the pot? I want to till it a little to see if its wet, but I really don't want to rip through a whole bunch of healthy roots.

Not sure how to proceed, should I just water it without being sure? Was doing 2 gallons a day before heavy rain kinda threw me off schedule. And do I get a bigger pot for next season?

Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
Day 83 with a few weeks left till harvest;

Leave it alone and carry on.
Most of the root growth happens during veg some happens during flowering however near the end it’s mainly putting its focus into flowering.

Upheaved into new soil now it won’t like it. Sounds like it’s well rooted and will be fine as is.

HedgedAndLevered

HedgedAndLevered

so worse to risk overwatering rather than risk ripping roots or underwatering?

Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
I take it your using a moisture meter hence why your mentioning ripping the roots.

It’s better to neither over water or underwater.

I guess your not used to lifting the pots to figure, if you can do that otherwise don’t fuss about it to much a meter won’t wreak the root system

Btw re reading yes get a bigger pot for next time.

Tbh if I had to choose one it would be giving it less water as I know the signs of a thirsty plant that said I wouldn’t recommend

See what others say

Last edited:
Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
What you need is a cheap single probe, moisture meter. Your poker hole in the bottom of the pot and run the meter in down there and see how wet it is. Too late to switch pots now. if you get the meter with a 12 inch probe, you can probably almost reach the bottom of the pot from the top on 15 gallons. In my experience, the size of the pot does limit the size of the plant. But that has to be dealt with at the start.

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

Yup!
IMG 3330

HedgedAndLevered

HedgedAndLevered

guys... I didn't mean I wanted to transplant it at this point haha
The question for this season was just about watering or not. looks like I'll buy a larger pot for next season
thanks all

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

guys... I didn't mean I wanted to transplant it at this point haha
The question for this season was just about watering or not. looks like I'll buy a larger pot for next season
thanks all
This plant sucks up about 6 gallons of rain water a day. Make sure you have lots of water available.
I don't know how well your auto will do in a 15 gallon pot but The Northern lights I just harvested was pretty nice.
Was 100% organic. If I had Veg it Promix 12 6 6 and flowered on 5 15 5 it would have been much better.
Promix 2   Copy

Last picture before harvest. Northern lights auto 15 gallon pot.

Standing

Last edited:
Top Bottom