Is a contactor relay required for a 250W digital ballast?

• Thread starter forknowledge
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
forknowledge

forknowledge

Im planing in using a 200W lumatek ballast to go with a MH lamp in my 60 x 60cm veg tent but first I need to now if I can safely connect it to a analogue/digital timer & then straight to the extension power supply or will I have to use a contactor relay?

Also how hot can a 250W MH get because the veg tent is very small although itll be in a cool tube with 3 PC fans sucking air out.

H

Hogdady

A 200w ballast will draw less than 2 amps @ 120vac. No contactor needed.

Just curious why you would use so much light for such a small space...

sedate

sedate

forknowledge said:
I need to now if I can safely connect it to a analogue/digital timer & then straight to the extension power supply or will I have to use a contactor relay?

A relay? Why?

If you were flip-flopping loads off a single array of ballasts (like two lamps off of one ballast), then something like this would be used.

For some single, smallish lamp, you sure don't need one of those, Brinks mechanical timers are like $7 a Wal-Mart and have a 15A fuse.

forknowledge said:
Also how hot can a 250W MH get because the veg tent is very small although itll be in a cool tube with 3 PC fans sucking air out

Not very hot.

A cool-tubed 250 should be fine with even minimal airflow.

Graywolf

Graywolf

Im planing in using a 200W lumatek ballast to go with a MH lamp in my 60 x 60cm veg tent but first I need to now if I can safely connect it to a analogue/digital timer & then straight to the extension power supply or will I have to use a contactor relay?

Also how hot can a 250W MH get because the veg tent is very small although itll be in a cool tube with 3 PC fans sucking air out.

The draw is less than two amps at 120VAC. A 5 amp digital timer should work fine.

GW

forknowledge

forknowledge

Thanks sedate & Graywolf, Ill be sure to check the timer has a high fuse just in case.

Latest posts

Top Bottom