Is A Greenhouse "indoors Or Outdoors"?

• Thread starter Justadad1999
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Justadad1999

Justadad1999

Is a Greenhouse considered to be growing "Indoors or Outdoors"?
What is your definition of Greenhouse growing?
In or Out?

dnewsome2

dnewsome2

Amen to that! I run into issues on a regular basis.
I found that growing indoors is the best type of greenhouse especially if you have a few windows that let in some natural sunlight and use your normal lighting as well Dynamite!

FattyJ

FattyJ

It's definitely got it's own challenges as well as enormous benefits. Being the gluten for punishment that I am, I am actually doing all 3 this year. Currently strictly flowering indoors, vegging and clones in the greenhouse and have my regular 6 ladies flourishing in the subtropical glory.... Plan on attempting year round in the greenhouse, but I assume of yet have no way to heat it through winter, no power source, but worst case scenario I'll use my tent and lighting to get the next generation of ladies ready for their swimsuits during my 2 or 3 months of chilly weather..

dnewsome2

dnewsome2

It's definitely got it's own challenges as well as enormous benefits. Being the gluten for punishment that I am, I am actually doing all 3 this year. Currently strictly flowering indoors, vegging and clones in the greenhouse and have my regular 6 ladies flourishing in the subtropical glory.... Plan on attempting year round in the greenhouse, but I assume of yet have no way to heat it through winter, no power source, but worst case scenario I'll use my tent and lighting to get the next generation of ladies ready for their swimsuits during my 2 or 3 months of chilly weather..
Go to YouTube and check-out this one called Heating Seattle backyard Studio with soda cans as solar panels. It might help if you're in the area where you're not getting enough heat in your Greenhouse during the day.

FattyJ

FattyJ

Go to YouTube and check-out this one called Heating Seattle backyard Studio with soda cans as solar panels. It might help if you're in the area where you're not getting enough heat in your Greenhouse during the day.
Getting plenty right now, just not sure what winter will bring. Only get on average around 10 freezes so I may be alright. Considering a small propane Heater, it would also but off co2 so that would be a plus, just not sure about the carbon monoxide.

dnewsome2

dnewsome2

Getting plenty right now, just not sure what winter will bring. Only get on average around 10 freezes so I may be alright. Considering a small propane Heater, it would also but off co2 so that would be a plus, just not sure about the carbon monoxide.
True. Not sure how big your greenhouse is but I used to cover mine with a old car cover at night and then all I needed was a small little heater. I've seen people use old motorhome covers.

FattyJ

FattyJ

True. Not sure how big your greenhouse is but I used to cover mine with a old car cover at night and then all I needed was a small little heater. I've seen people use old motorhome covers.
Funny you say that, I have an old boat cover that I used last year for a Lil early flowering, worked great... GH is 6'×8'...

C

CannaCurious

@Justadad1999 Greenhouse is its own class. A hoop house and no environmental controls which is what you look like you have is considered closer to outdoor production, only thing is the cover which protects from weather and gives a little more warmth.

Then you have Greenhouse that is semi controlled meaning it has fans, maybe some rope lighting to keep things in veg, or small wattage. A series of fans, and depending on climate hopefully some commercial dehums if doing dep, or enough air movement to keep your VPD right. (This is what most people have)

Then there is what we will start to know as greenhouse which is what they call CEA(Controlled Environment Agriculture) I am in a near coastal climate in a small micro climate that is very mild year round, but can get very very very wet, and sometimes very cold in winter. The facilities we are building over the next three years are CEA and they cost between 80-115 dollars a sq ft for everything. They are fully automated, or can be... They utilize the best of both worlds everything to control the environment perfectly like indoors, but you save 70 plus percent in energy costs using the sun.... Here is the future my friends...

Netafim Glass CEA Greenhouses
Large CEA facility
Tantalus Labs BC overview greenhouse 120ksqft
Tantalus Labs BC Inside greenhouse corridor
wesk

wesk

In the commercial, regulated Oregon space, a greenhouse/hoophouse with lights is considered indoor. Kind of goofy, but there you have it. The following is from the regulations, and although you could poke holes in it, it's a definition that works for the purposes of the regulations:

(2) “Indoor production” means producing marijuana in any manner:

(a) Utilizing artificial lighting on mature marijuana plants; or

(b) Other than “outdoor production” as that is defined in this rule.

(3) “Outdoor production” means producing marijuana:

(a) In an expanse of open or cleared ground; or

(b) In a greenhouse, hoop house or similar non-rigid structure that does not utilize any artificial lighting on mature marijuana plants, including but not limited to electrical lighting sources.

These legal (in Oregon) terms have nothing to do with the branding/marketing/hype/angst around whether my indoor bud is better or worse than your outdoor bud or her greenhouse bud (although her's is almost always better...just sayin).

Similarly, the (legal) definition has nothing to do with the act of growing weed. Not having grown indoor, I can only say a controlled environment greenhouse is not exactly like growing outdoors. As everyone else is saying, growing (anything) in a commercial greenhouse comes with a unique set of imponderables and arcana, but many aspects are more or less transferrable (probably also true of indoor growing...like the importance of air flow and CO2 supplementation).

In your situation, growing out of a greenhouse is probably more like growing outdoors since it sounds like you have less control over environmental conditions than an indoor grower might. For growers working out of a commercial greenhouse, it might be more like growing indoors...with perfect, and really cheap lights.

lino

lino

A white horse is a white horse. A grn house is a grn house. Indoor is indoor and outdoor is outdoor. That was a tough question.

R

redlife215

Thise vig greenhouses is what is ginna put ys outta buisness, they will pop up with 1000s of greenhouses all over and produce indoor quality weed. No money for us anymore i promise u anybody telling u different is an ignorant dreamer. Get ready fir weed ti be monopolized and the sould sucked right outta it

wesk

wesk

Thise vig greenhouses is what is ginna put ys outta buisness, they will pop up with 1000s of greenhouses all over and produce indoor quality weed. No money for us anymore i promise u anybody telling u different is an ignorant dreamer. Get ready fir weed ti be monopolized and the sould sucked right outta it

I don't think growing out of a greenhouse is quite as soulless as you make it sound, red. Not sure how other states are approaching the question of scale, but Oregon seems to be intentional about promoting small(ish) scale farms (indoor, outdoor, or greenhouse). I guess time will tell how well they do that. I do agree that growing out of a controlled environment greenhouse is a good way to grow superb weed (and it's a pretty good way to spend your days too). wes

lino

lino

Those grn houses are little... Denver thinks it big deal grn houser... Little stuff here

These guys are blown it up and producing enough to be recognized on world markets

Holland- grn houseN Cows - Chickens - Plants - whole cities are grn houses , I'm mean these boys boys are pumping it out already

20170827 083117

Hey lino , our lights are dim,,, we got 400 gallons of oil. can you do a oil change and replace the (2) 6 ft air filters? The Master Grower is checking to see what cylinders are banging correctly by the heat,,, you have to maintain one a while before you can feel it when she's running rite by the heat.
looks like about 400 cui pony motor to start this v-12 beast.
Now thats how you run a grn house!
20170827 084313

R

redlife215

Growing in gh isnt souless lol but putting 1000s of ghs up after it is federally legal will be. They preach keepimg the small farmers intact but when was our country known to keep big corps away from a way of makong money. It isnt a we will see situation imo it is our fate

Top Bottom