Is A Greenhouse The Best Route For Pnw Outdoors?

• Thread starter Kaskadian
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Kaskadian

Kaskadian

Hey everyone,

I wanted some advice from you outdoor growers. I'm have very little experience with outdoor growing, and I was wondering if a greenhouse is the best route for growing outdoors in the PNW. I don't really want to fight powdery mildew, bud rot, etc and from what I've heard these are issues that plague PNW outdoor growers. Again, I'm not an outdoor grower and I have very little experience in this area, so I'm calling on you outdoor experts to teach me a thing or two.

Since my wife & I will both have our OMMP cards, I figure we might as well do 2-4 plants outdoors each season. I'm already looking at mold resistant strains, but if the easiest answer is "just build a small greenhouse", then that's the route we'll take.

Cheers,
Kas

OrganicGanja

OrganicGanja

Honestly IMO a greenhouse will still allow for insects pm spores and the usual problems that can arise outside. Dig some nice big 3x3 or 4x4 holes in a full sun spot and away ya go. Don't get me wrong greenhouses are good but they are not 100% controlled environment either. Greenhouses are good for security purposes in semi residential areas but some nasty backwoods hiking can sometimes be a better deterrent.

Freshies

Freshies

Greenhouses seem key in areas with bad weather like hail, heavy rain, string wind and early winters. Also like said above, better for security and animals. I'm no expert, just a personal grower, but here in the mountains of CO its pretty much required to do outdoor.

Kaskadian

Kaskadian

Honestly IMO a greenhouse will still allow for insects pm spores and the usual problems that can arise outside. Dig some nice big 3x3 or 4x4 holes in a full sun spot and away ya go. Don't get me wrong greenhouses are good but they are not 100% controlled environment either. Greenhouses are good for security purposes in semi residential areas but some nasty backwoods hiking can sometimes be a better deterrent.

Thanks for the advice! Since this is going to be a medical grow, I'm not overly concerned with security (I don't want to advertise it obviously). I'm more concerned with the damp Oregon weather causing mildew or bud rot. I figured if I could get the plants out of the frequent drizzle it would lower the risk for mildew/bud rot. Then again, the Oregon weather clears up quite a bit during the grow season.

Greenhouses seem key in areas with bad weather like hail, heavy rain, string wind and early winters. Also like said above, better for security and animals. I'm no expert, just a personal grower, but here in the mountains of CO its pretty much required to do outdoor.

Thanks for the advice! I may consider it just to keep them out of the direct weather. I know a greenhouse is still outdoors and not as controlled as indoors but I could at least make sure they're not getting as much direct contact with the rain prior to harvest.

Calixylon

Calixylon

If you plan on growing at that spot for years to come I'd invest in a greenhouse. You can have protection from elements, and some protection from thieves, but also is you get a quality house you can grow all year round if you hear it, and don't get a shit ton of snow. The quality from greenhouse buds I got vs outdoor is day and night in terms of crystal coverage. The good houses produce cannabis that rivals any indoor setup, it's just making sure you get enough sun and position the house in a prime spot. No experience growing with one but I think it would be a wise investment especially now that cannabis is going legal quality is becoming neccesary to have product anyone wants, mass produced outdoors are fast becoming something people aren't looking for.

Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

i would say go greenhouse...simply to have the chance to control how much water and what goes in the plants would be key.....no rain ect.... but seeing how your fear of pm or rot, i would make sure to have a lot of ventilation in the greenhouse...dont be shy to overbuild it to a larger size than you need, this will allow for more air flow

Kaskadian

Kaskadian

Or get an excavator and build a wallipini it's a greenhouse sunk 5 or so feet deep so just the roof is above ground. Helps keep it at 50 degrees all winter, also less noticible than a full structure.

I really really like this idea. Thanks for the suggestion!

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

Light deprivation greenhouse.
Good luck any other way if your north of Eugene.
Pm/bud rot are hard to fight.

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

I'm there also.
Honestly, you will get PM no matter what when the rains hit.
Get a greenhouse and black it out 12 hours of the day. This way you can get one harvest in early. Another late when things usually finish.
Also what strains are you running outside? Hopefully some fast finishing indicas.

Growin Grass

Growin Grass

The morning dew sure is a bitch
Especially when the clouds won't burn until 2 or 3
Someone at one of my hydro stores recommended a foliar that you can supposedly use early in flower that's supposed to help all the way through finish.
Personally I had more trouble with bud rot than PM

Kaskadian

Kaskadian

I'm there also.
Honestly, you will get PM no matter what when the rains hit.
Get a greenhouse and black it out 12 hours of the day. This way you can get one harvest in early. Another late when things usually finish.
Also what strains are you running outside? Hopefully some fast finishing indicas.

I was thinking about Bogglegum, and Black Domina. Both finish pretty damned fast, but I'm starting to wonder if it's even worth growing outdoors in the PNW.

The morning dew sure is a bitch
Especially when the clouds won't burn until 2 or 3
Someone at one of my hydro stores recommended a foliar that you can supposedly use early in flower that's supposed to help all the way through finish.
Personally I had more trouble with bud rot than PM

What are your thoughts about even bothering to grow outdoors up there? I have no troubles with growing indoors, I just wanted to do an outdoor grow for fun.

Growin Grass

Growin Grass

What are your thoughts about even bothering to grow outdoors up there? I have no troubles with growing indoors, I just wanted to do an outdoor grow for fun.
Do it, GH will help as will added ventilation and like smokey said you can get them going early with light dep just keep an eye on them and if the mold gets out of control remember that an early harvest is better than a harvest that goes straight in the trash

Augestwest

Augestwest

Go for it. I grew last year without a greenhouse and was able to harvest 3 out of 6 plants. The 3 I didn't get to harvest was due to late flowering start on some of the strains. I ran 2 granddaddy purple clones that did amazing outside. Only alittle bit of bud rot and they started flowering really early. Some strains say there quick flowering but that doesn't mean they start flowering as early as others. I ran into that with a few strains. This year I'm running a hoophouse greenhouse and gonna put a few oscillating fans and my 8in online in there when needed and hope for the best. I'm also located near portland and I think you should be able to pull some weight. Especially if it's just for fun then why not.

Oregon Grown

Oregon Grown

I'm on the coast due west of Portland and do pretty good under a hoop house. I keep the plastic walls rolled up enless it rains. The biggest key here is a plant that will finish by the end of September or first week of October. The best strain I've grown for this location was early pearl from sensi seeds. It finished first or second week of September.

StickyBiz

StickyBiz

An easy way to have outdoor success in western wa is to veg the girl in a 5 gallon pot up until after the 4th of July, then move her into a flower room for 2 weeks to get her into flower and then take her outside. I do a couple each year like this. I cut the bottoms out of the pot when she goes out to flower run, snug it into the garden soil a foot or so and keep on watering and feeding her like she is used to. She will stay in flower and be all done by end of September. It's an easy way to get some outdoor soil and sunshine smokes for the stash.

D

deaddave

20150801 184325
Western Wa, start inside under T5's/18-6, introduce slowly to outside, transplant into 10 gallon soft pots with good mix, I wrap mine in fencing to deter deer, plenty of sun, mid July straight inside hog panel formed, white plastic covered greenhouse until just before early am fog starts doing damage, early Oct.
20150714 180622
20150714 180622
20150530 113759
20150530 113759

20150818 160157
20150904 191106
20150926 120711
20150819 184622

Latest posts

Top Bottom