Is anybody doing genenic manipulation of marijuana

• Thread starter bobman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

bobman

Are any breeders or seedbanks working with genetic manipulation? Not breeding but actually working with the plants genetics. Imagine the possibilities.

fortwunty

fortwunty

There's many forms of genetic manipulation out there... for example, growers have been using colchicine for years on numerous plants to induce polyploidy (multiple sets of chromosomes). This is a form of GM. Watermelons (in order to produce seedless), bread wheat, and a slew of other plants are modified in this fashion by growers for numerous applications. Lots of flowers too for maximizing the yields.

However, I've seen other threads about polyploidy and cannabis and the results are far from stellar. The resulting plants after being treated with colchicine are sterile, but there is a possibility of breeding a fertile polyploidy cannabis plant. Take a normal diploid (2 sets) and pollinate a triploid (3 sets), grow out the seeds, find the mutants and hit those with more colchicine, and further breed with those plants (and the original pollen donor diploid) and you may end up with something gold. Seems doubtful though. This is the same process they use to make triticale (hexaploid, 6 sets) from wheat (tetraploid, 4 sets) & rye (diploid, 2 sets).

I'm fairly sure when it comes to cannabis that the plants "suffering" from polyploidy are much weaker than the normal ones, in terms of potency. Why would you want genetically modified cannabis anyways? Colchicine is neat to play around with, but I personally don't see the point in modifying the beloved plant...

TheCoolestMan

TheCoolestMan

Premium Member
Supporter
reversing a female to male is one way to modify geneticly a plant....So all fem beans are modify gens plants...

L

Lost

Bobman, the plants themselvs will mutate in an indoor environment, actually everything slowly mutates. The average human has over 200 major genetic mutations in response to environment, by the time they are an adult. Everything does everything. Mutation does not happen on spans of millions of years, it happens at the individual level, as well as at the population level. Far more than people ever previously understood.

By simply taking a outdoor plant and clone and harvest 200 times and the clone will slowly mutate to suit its environment. Over few generations or even on a generational level, changes will be made.

Another example is the training of the MJ plant. In indoor environments it will get used to being proped up and weaken the stem and put that energy into producing bigger buds (because that is what the environmental conditions provided are doing, singling out single traits like large buds. Resinous buds., even when it is creating a condition that forces it to be aided by humans just to survive) (if it falls over in nature, not so much helping survivability %)

Companies like Monsanto will surely provide commercial strains or cannabis to market as the market continues to open up and become legitimate. Most of the veggies you eat are all genetically modified, unless you got to organic food stores, and even then, just because its organic does not mean its not gmo, right?

Anyway, the problem with genetic modification is that it takes a very specialized lab with people that can take time to learn the genetic code of the plant and find out how to switch on certain "favorible" markers in the genetic code. It takes alot of man hours and alot of money... The people that have that money are going to make sure to turn on the suicide gene in these plants before they do any work with it to protect their work (suicide gene either kills plant shortly after harvest or prevents seeds from being viable.)

TheCoolestMan

TheCoolestMan

Premium Member
Supporter
well we could try inject spidermites dna in mj so they will stop eat mj plant...lmao hell no ty ....Mosanto better stay out of mj seeds business else we all fucked up

F

FileError404

I was always dreaming of modifying a plant so the leaves won't be serrated, making it stealth for outdoors :) Nice Dream...

L

Lost

Well, possibly gene therapy will be the answer. Take an existing tomato plant, inject a virus with your thc producing code imbedded in their dna.. The tomato mutates and now produces thc in the skin, or meat of the fruit. Bam! The ultimate stoner treat.. A cheese burger with a slice of 98 bubba tomato.. So stoney you'll eat two!

BTW the whole thing with a virus spreading its DNA to you as it infects you... Happens in real life from what I understand.. Scarry huh?

L

Lost

There's many forms of genetic manipulation out there... for example, growers have been using colchicine for years on numerous plants to induce polyploidy (multiple sets of chromosomes). This is a form of GM. Watermelons (in order to produce seedless), bread wheat, and a slew of other plants are modified in this fashion by growers for numerous applications. Lots of flowers too for maximizing the yields.

However, I've seen other threads about polyploidy and cannabis and the results are far from stellar. The resulting plants after being treated with colchicine are sterile, but there is a possibility of breeding a fertile polyploidy cannabis plant. Take a normal diploid (2 sets) and pollinate a triploid (3 sets), grow out the seeds, find the mutants and hit those with more colchicine, and further breed with those plants (and the original pollen donor diploid) and you may end up with something gold. Seems doubtful though. This is the same process they use to make triticale (hexaploid, 6 sets) from wheat (tetraploid, 4 sets) & rye (diploid, 2 sets).

I'm fairly sure when it comes to cannabis that the plants "suffering" from polyploidy are much weaker than the normal ones, in terms of potency. Why would you want genetically modified cannabis anyways? Colchicine is neat to play around with, but I personally don't see the point in modifying the beloved plant...

This is interesting.. I am growing from seed some of DD's 13 Dawgs, and holy polyplidity batman!!! Different types of Polyplidity on different branches of the same tree.. Very interesting stuff and I know little about it. Out of the 10 seeds from the pack I grew out 3 were male 2 with strong (good) genetic traits. Out of the 7 females so far I have 2 possibly 3 of more showing polyplidity. What it wierd it it is not necessarily in the main stem, but in random branches. There are possibly more that I have not identified as im not necessarily looking for them, i have just been noticing their existance. It looks like yield will be good with the polyplids, but genetically does it suffer in potency? I have never grow a single polyploid till this run with the 13 Dawgs but it could be one of the secrets to DD's huge numbers. I have taken the 13 dawgs and breed them with the Grape Romulan cutting and the seeds are finishing. It will be interesting to see if the polyploid tendency makes it in the gene exchange...

420king-spaded

there is a kit that eliminates the need to take cuttings and mother plants all you need is a piece of leaf and make a test tube true clone in every sense of the word

fortwunty

fortwunty

there is a kit that eliminates the need to take cuttings and mother plants all you need is a piece of leaf and make a test tube true clone in every sense of the word

yeah there's tons of these kits out there, not all of them work out of the box for cannabis though, or so i've heard.

it's called plant tissue culture and it's been discussed on here a few times already.

T

thefabman

Premium Member
Supporter
Tissue cultures are the future!

Top Bottom