Is Defoliating Needed?

• Thread starter Snakeskins
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Snakeskins

Snakeskins

Hi farmers. Afternoon Delight's the name and scrOG's the game. After FIMing all of them, I'm waiting for 4 main shoots out of each plant to establish themselves. I'm also waiting for gender specificaction to single out one female. Simple question: Does it look like they could use some defoling?

DAY 27 in veg

Is defoliating needed
Is defoliating needed 2
Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Hi farmers. Afternoon Delight's the name and scrOG's the game. After FIMing all of them, I'm waiting for 4 main shoots out of each plant to establish themselves. I'm also waiting for gender specificaction to single out one female. Simple question: Does it look like they could use some defoling?

DAY 27 in veg
They need to starting filling the screen before you defoliate. So keep tucking and let her/ or hopefully not a him fill out. Pick off dead yellowing leaves but leave all healthy growth alone until you flip and then you can lollipop it a bit

Snakeskins

Snakeskins

They need to starting filling the screen before you defoliate. So keep tucking and let her/ or hopefully not a him fill out. Pick off dead yellowing leaves but leave all healthy growth alone until you flip and then you can lollipop it a bit
That is basically what I did aside from pick a few smaller fan leaves that were under enormous shade.

Monster762

Monster762

DAY 27 in veg
Me personally I would move anything blocking a shoot or top. I’m trying my first scrog but only had net over clones abouta week now. I need pointers too on when to flip. I’ve tied them all around in net almost all squares have more than 1 top in em. Mine are all fem clones and were little lanky going in so it was quick filling net. Like a week.

Snakeskins

Snakeskins

Okay cool. Just everything looked tight and cramped. These are sativas(afternoon delight strain)afterall and the plants themselves look like bushy indicas to me although I do have very limited experience.

Snakeskins

Snakeskins

Me personally I would move anything blocking a shoot or top. I’m trying my first scrog but only had net over clones abouta week now. I need pointers too on when to flip. I’ve tied them all around in net almost all squares have more than 1 top in em. Mine are all fem clones and were little lanky going in so it was quick filling net. Like a week.
I've scroged with clones before. I got roughly 1.5 oz per plant using a 300w led. Since the plants double or more in size during flowering, I'd say your good to flip now if not late at it lol.

Mr Bee

Mr Bee

i tuck if i can but I'm not above defoliating.if i think a tops being shaded and i think it will make a positive difference i will remove it.i never remove anymore than a few at a time though.some people will say defoliating has a negative effect but i haven't found that.

Monster762

Monster762

I've scroged with clones before. I got roughly 1.5 oz per plant using a 300w led. Since the plants double or more in size during flowering, I'd say your good to flip now if not late at it lol.
Didn’t want to blow your thread with pics n all but this is where I’m at. I got less than 3 ft net to light. Is the net gonna control the stretch or am I already in a mess here? The little yellowing things getting tossed. Everything but that back left corner full there’s a plant there but not doing too good so probably toss it too n vine them over that direction this coco grows em fast I been doing tucks and defoliating for a week now
847AB23F 282E 4119 8378 8491C36AA097
85556B7F DBE2 4A63 ABBB F0D7F34FA78F

4plant

4plant

I usually start defoliation mid flower. Less foliage= less photosynthesis in veg. Once bud sites are set you can defoliate larger fan leaves that are covering flower sites. Watch out for nute Burn with less leaves in veg.

Madmax

Madmax

Id start weaving them through the net .and make them grow where you want them to.ive never done it but few thread ive looked at they flip when screen is bout half full..something like that.then fill rest up ..

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
The key to a proper scrog is to keep tucking all the way into flip and then even for a week or 2 after flip/stretch. By this time everything below the net line should have been cleared during veg. Allows for better air movement below and keeps any suckers that will never amount to anything from robbing energy from your tops above the screen. After tucking until stretch is over ( once flower set it is well established) then let them gals go vertical. The biggest mistake I see guys/newbies make are mixing multiple strains sativas /indicas in the same screen. If new to scroggin mono crop your 1st couple of runs to get the knack of it. It also helps to know how the strains you are running develop and stretch.

Last edited:
Snakeskins

Snakeskins

Didn’t want to blow your thread with pics n all but this is where I’m at. I got less than 3 ft net to light. Is the net gonna control the stretch or am I already in a mess here? The little yellowing things getting tossed. Everything but that back left corner full there’s a plant there but not doing too good so probably toss it too n vine them over that direction this coco grows em fast I been doing tucks and defoliating for a week now View attachment 841756View attachment 841757
It looks like you will need a second net framework if you discontinued tucking 2 weeks into flower. Thats been my experience by using the net too late. This will actually be my first proper scrog because the main branches will be trained at a horizontal angle(the way they are supposed to be) and I'll only need one net.

Last edited:
Snakeskins

Snakeskins

The key to a proper scrog is to keep tucking all the way into flip and then even for a week or 2 after flip/stretch. By this time everything below the net line should have been cleared during veg. Allows for better air movement below and keeps any suckers that will never amount to anything from robbing energy from your tops above the screen. After tucking until stretch is over let them gals go vertical. The biggest mistake I see guys make are mixing multiple strains sativas /indicas in the same screen. If new to scroggin mono crop your 1st couple of runs to get the knack of it. It also helps to know how the strains you are running develop and stretch.
Here's 3 multiple strains done in classic improper scrog fashion :)

20181010 192339
jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
well it certainly didn't hurt the size of those tops. Good grief. Nice work!!!!

Top Bottom