is foliar feeding with seaweed extracts beneficial?

• Thread starter jordisgarden
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

jordisgarden

Hey fellow growers. i was reading an article about the benefits of foliar feeding and whats good to spray em with.
seaweed extract was said to havee all sorts of benefits when foliar feeding.
do you guys foliar feed. if you do what do you think your plants gain or lose from it and what do you feed with and how often.
ive been spraying down my girls every morning and they are always dust free. no mites. the water at least cleans all the airborn shit off em right?.

does the plant get fed instantly through the leaves. if you water then mist can you overwater the plants?
ive been misting in the morning then when i get home at night and they seem to love it.

Blaze

Blaze

Foliar feeding rocks - why more people do not do it I do not know. You can foliar with most ferts as well, not just seaweed. Just be careful not to burn your plants if you start using something with a higher NPK value!

When you foliar feed the nutes get absorbed very quickly and will have an effect within 15 minutes or so. You can literally correct imbalances over nigh with foliars because of this. Plus, you get far more nutes to the plan, and use less, when you foliar so it is very cost-effective. Only about 5% of the ferts that you put into the ground get used by the plant - with foliar feeding about 80% gets used.

F

Fred

Premium Member
Supporter
I had some luck with this as a foliar....All kinds of uses for that stuff. It really helps my plants stay healthy and green. I think plants love this stuff when applied properly. Cheapest I had luck with was Maxi Crop granular. Most expensive and cleanest to use as a foliar was Alg-A-Mic.

Hope this helps..

hubcap

hubcap

foliar feeding is more effective when the gardener wipes the leaves clean between foliar feedings....
;)

ive used seaweed extract....fish emulsion....earthwormcasting (EWC) teas......all seemed to do fine. although i dont use the method much anymore, ive used it with success.
just remember to wipe the leaves clean. most people skip this because its time consuming, but, without going to major deatils and name dropping, its best to wipe them clean so their "pores" dont get "clogged" if you will.

-cap

M

Mr.

Does anybody have experience foliar feeding and never wiping the leaves clean? I'm just curious if you noticed any slowed growth, less bud, etc..

Hubcap when you wipe the leaves clean do you just use a plain cotton rag dampened with ph'd RO water?

My buddy had a couple set ups with the exact same strain, system, lights, and everything. The tables that were being foliar fed were much more lush, green, full, more compact internode spacing, taller, wider, and looked amazing compared to the non foliar fed plants which were nice but couldn't compare to the others.

J

jordisgarden

Fuckin right. thanks guys. so every morning when i get up i automaticaly go down to my grow room. i take em all out and line em up. then i start my journal . i p/u the first plant and if its light i stick a finger in the hole i cut in the bottom of all my 5 gals. if the finger comes out dry i then water it. i never water if the bottom could still be moist. i basically water when they are bone dry. right before they wilt. then i spray down every single one till i have run off . i soak em. the schedule i use is.
foliar with nutes in am. then spray em down to basically wash em before bedtime. then the next 2 days they get just water spray . no nutes. every 4th foliar i use nutes..
is 2 times a day too much?..isnt it good to keep the plant dust free and nute build up free?

J

Jalisco Kid

Too high a dose of kelp will kick in those pgr's and make your plants more squatty. Just foliar with water in between feeding. It acts like the dew in the morning helps you put more nutes back in the leaves and stops salt build up. JK

N

nor cali farmer

im on the fence about this. lets see some pic's

P

PureSugar

I don't have any picts to show... but two days ago I had a weak nute solution mixed up to use on my clones and I don't know why but for some reason I decided to do a light foliar feed on the big girls. I used a lower than recommended pH of about 5.8 (I've since read 6.2 - 7.0) is what you're supposed to use, anyhow, the next morning it looked like my girls had been taking steriods and lifting wieghts all day! Not a scientific result but impressive none the less.

J

Jalisco Kid

im on the fence about this. lets see some pic's

Do you think farmers would do it if it does not work,they work with a very small profit margin. Try it on one plant then a pic will form in your mind right below the light bulb.

J

jordisgarden

from what ive noticed . the plants i foliar feed dont seem to get stressed unless something drastic happens. the plants i foliar feef. i have multiples of each strain. theres a few plants that havnt been foliar fed or gotten the mayan microzyme. i really cant wait to see the end difference between em. ill say the foliar fed plants look nice and shiney and green. a little more than the others

hubcap

hubcap

Does anybody have experience foliar feeding and never wiping the leaves clean? I'm just curious if you noticed any slowed growth, less bud, etc..

Hubcap when you wipe the leaves clean do you just use a plain cotton rag dampened with ph'd RO water?
pretty much. or, if you are not in flower yet just spray the whole thing down w RO and wipe clean that way. saves a lil time as opposed to doing each leaf at a time.

if you dont wipe them clean an array of problems can occur.....droplets amplify light therefore "burning" little circle shapes into the leafs where the droplets were......leafs can get salt/residue build up.....etc etc etc....

My buddy had a couple set ups with the exact same strain, system, lights, and everything. The tables that were being foliar fed were much more lush, green, full, more compact internode spacing, taller, wider, and looked amazing compared to the non foliar fed plants which were nice but couldn't compare to the others.

mileage does vary. but its usually dependant on the methods. (aka...alotta people havent/dont take the time to wife the leafs clean, therefore seeing no benefits.)

i dont really use the method much anymore tho, because im in tune to what makes a robust soil; therefore eliminating the need to suppliment the feed thru foliar feedings.

J

jordisgarden

So if you build your soil correctly foliar feeding is useless?. keeping the plant dust free and inspecting each plant each time i foliar feed em i guess if anything i get that from it. but if you have an issue like lockout you could get the plant nutes through the leaves?

P

peabody

so foliar feeding is benificial if done with a little self control or fore thought of what you are doing. please correct me if i am wrong. but you should stop this practice if you are in bud ifso at what point the reason i ask is have one in bud at day 33 . buds look good not eye poping but a lot of the fan leaves are yellowing at the edges an have very small brown spots on them not visible on the underside . no mites are bugs that i can detect. could this possible be just a bad case of nute lock out . coco n perlite grow ppm at 1000 in hempy bucket. any help or suggestion would be appreciated thanks in adv. be safe peabody sorry no pics!

J

jordisgarden

Personaly id never foliar feed more than 2 weeks into flower. i stop completely because i am worried about bud rot.
as far as having nute lockout. there is stuff called clearex. its for plants that have lockout and it cleans out the medium then makes nutrients immediatly available to the plant again. i start flushing 15 or 15 days before harvest. this time around im using clearex to get rid of any salt build up...and the crap hleft over from nutes......
if you lant with lockout this stuff will fix the problem........have you tried a strait ol 2 part flush? to see if it helps?......

itll probably take 5 days before youd see the improvment though....usually within a week youd know if it had lockout....because it should go crazy once its able to feed again

J

jordisgarden

I had a plant with lockout. it stipped growing completely. then i flushed the shit out of her and she went crazy. like she was making up for lost time.

P

peabody

jordiesgarden thanks for taking the time to help a fellow farmer in a semi lost confussed state of mind. on what the hell is going on . did a old style heavy flush tonight with phed water in the morning going to transplant to bigger pot . Risky maybe but she has out growen another pot. Looked at clearx an other botanicare prodocts to night picked up cal/mg thought maybe in need of some mg . if not the problem well then i got for next time haha. sorry to run on so long an thanks again. be safe peabody

J

jordisgarden

Run with it bro. cuz seriously i could just fucking shoot the shit about these things all day long. one thing i do when i flush is i grow in 5 gals mostly so i add 3 gals of water then i wait like 5 minutes so the water can break down and disolve all the crap in there. then 5 minutes later i add anothe 4 or so till its pouring out the bottom. the first breaks it down. the 2nd washes it aall away. ..i start 14 days from harvest and i usually get in 3 good flushes before harvest...
so did you have a plant that stopped growing?..is that why u thought you had lockout?....oh yeah what strains are you growing. what type of setup do you use.

right now im growing
3 blz bud
3 afghani kush specials.
4 white widow
1 afghani x yumbolt
3 northern lights 3rd generation.
and 2 of a strain i mixxed myself called the jordinator...i mixxed a male super skunk with a female violator kush.
im growing in a 8 by 8 by 8 room i built in my cellar. with a 400 hps. a 600 hps 3 100 hps llamps. 4 4 foot t8 floros and a bunch of cfl lamps. im getting my tax return and ima add either a 1000hps or a 600 metal halide. not sure yet.
i know they say metal halide is the best for veg but i cant immagine these things getting any bigger faster than they are now under 1000 hps.
feel free to keep the conversation going bro. and by no means does it have to do with foliar feeding.....any topic is ccool...

by the way im growing in promix with extra perlite wormcastings . blood meal. bone meal. and guano for nitrogen
my nutes are
pura vida organics for vegging
fox farm tiger bloom for flower.
jamaican guano..bat guano.
mayan microzyme. to build up the bacteria and microbes in the soil.
then i have flora nectar for micro nutes and superthrive of course.
my waterings are 1st water plus full nutes. 2nd plain ol water. 3rd plain ol water and then back to nutes...add the foliaar feeding in the same schedule. there thriving.

P

peabody

jordie just a little update for you. got her retubbed lol. from a 10 gal to a 18. if you ever try hempy style you will love it they seem to grow as fast as hydro. not kidding man. am gone sometimes 3-4 days at ashot BOOM major difference. from dirt. ok hempy tub is the current style i am giving a go . room is not as big as yours 3by 5by9 . some cfl's a n a 250 hps for light not enough watts i'am sure of that but got to go with what i got. as far as strains just one a unknown bag seed from co. via mo. nutes are as follows roots organic grow, -extrem, humboldt micro some b+ root propigater free from a realie high priced hydro store. for bloom its roots budda bloom an f.f. tiger blooman as you put it of course super thrive. no real regement on the nutes like some people still trying to get it all to gether . should probably just go with a`2 or 3 part system But i have been called a nutes whore befor.lol. watering is as follows water nutes water water .will be just water the last 10-12 days to flush her out. an yes she was root bound bad really bad. so hopefully the transplant will give her areason to finish fat ,sticky an stinky as hell. be safe peabody

purpleberry

purpleberry

I keep a spray bottle full of r/o water in veg and spray them down every time i walk in, sometimes they get hit every hour. I dont have a humidifer so this is the next best thing and they love it.
I now have a bottle of magic green and it says to hit it once a week. I might try cutting it down to %10-20 and hit them everyday?

Top Bottom