Is horse crap good for weed?

• Thread starter Michigan.Out.Of.Doors
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Michigan.Out.Of.Doors

Michigan.Out.Of.Doors

Listed for free and it's just down the road,would a truck load of this be good to mix with soul and out seedlings in or do I just put
Is horse crap good for weed
it in compost

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Take it.

You might send a sample to Michigan State for compost analysis.

Billymgb

Billymgb

I know if it is horse race farm a lot of the horses take meds or supplements, so you have to be careful.

TheForechecker

TheForechecker

I would take it and just leave it in a pile for a year to slow compost (or hot compost it). Composting will mean less weed seeds and any drugs in the manure can get past their half life. Also it'll cook into one of the most fertile thingd on earth.

But I would definatly top dress with it and cover with woodchips or straw or some kind of mulch because that manure will have decades of perennial seeds in it. 😉

It's full of all kinds of beneficial, nutrients and minerals. I bought 20 yards for around my food forest gardens last year.

If it's not aged or composted, you can't used straight horse/cow shit because it's way to hot and will not be kind to your gals. Also who wants that all over, eh. 😂

TheForechecker

TheForechecker

I read the OP better and looked at the picture. I would take as much of that as I could carry, haul or get hauled. I have paid for truckloads a few time to fertility bomb new tree guilds. I really need a chicken house/compost and then ill be able to stop my outside input of animal manure. Its sure worth the initial cost IMHO to kickstart your yards soil biome. I mulch with mostly arborist wood chips (https://getchipdrop.com/) in perennial beds and use cover crops (strawberries that run, clover, mint (tea)...

Compost is gold.

IMO The first step in addressing anything out of balance in the garden (outdoors) should be 1. put compost on it

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

I would take it and just leave it in a pile for a year to slow compost (or hot compost it). Composting will mean less weed seeds and any drugs in the manure can get past their half life. Also it'll cook into one of the most fertile thingd on earth.

But I would definatly top dress with it and cover with woodchips or straw or some kind of mulch because that manure will have decades of perennial seeds in it. 😉

It's full of all kinds of beneficial, nutrients and minerals. I bought 20 yards for around my food forest gardens last year.

If it's not aged or composted, you can't used straight horse/cow shit because it's way to hot and will not be kind to your gals. Also who wants that all over, eh. 😂
^^^
You have to let it compost at least a year. Buy yea, it's good shit

chemistry

chemistry

Two ways to use horse dung, one is spread it on the soil outdoors where your going to grow, and let the Winter break it down, the other is to store it in bin with a lid, and let it rot down, you'll know when it's finished as it stops smelling like shit, and starts smelling like compost. 👍

Madmax

Madmax

I use to go to my brothers place as his better half has horses.they had i little bit spread out in where she was throwing it and i scraped it back to surface and you should of seen the worms ..red wrigglers and these ginormus sand worms lol..looked like baby snakes lol haha..

Harvard

Harvard

Our daughter was in 4 h and had a horse growing up, which allowed me to all the free horse manure I could want. I usually rent a dump trailer to haul it and use it for everything I plant.
It should be composted for a year or more to kill the weed seeds in it, cow manure is much cleaner of weed seed but you have to buy it around here.
White sweet onion
27748E4C 6BB6 453B 8BD4 0B7C9A3F86FA
CC9A1AFE DADB 42B7 97D8 1ADF89E287E4

Top Bottom